TitanCon 2014 World reading?

I think Pebble was either not quite sure what people were after, or is pulling legs. The Literature Night featured readings by a number of authors, and the Harridan was part of someone else's reading entirely.

Posted elsewhere as requested, just wanted to follow up and say that both the reading and the talk were fantastic.

I said to Ran at the time, and I'll repeat myself here, that I'm actually looking forward to this book more than I'm looking forward to The Winds of Winter.

Sorry for the delay in replying, TitanCon only just ended for me!

Sorry Guys. I am a bad person and I just could not resist. especially when my PM box got spammed from someone I've never yet interacted with requesting info form a non- specified reading and not including the word please.

The was not the reading review you are looking for. (and what I can provide your likely to be dissapointed with due to the lack of details)

The Reading I gave you was Peadar's from the book he is currently writing. It was a fantastic reading and I will defiantly be buying his book when it comes out. I also recommend you guys check out his other books from the Inferior trilogy.

Ok as to stuff you really wanted. first I do have to say I missed most of Ran's reading due to T-shirt and reg desk duties. I did not take any notes I don't know anyone who did. and I've been alseep many times since and had lots of info and stuff from other readings and con related stuff. I don't really remember any details of the reading other than it sounded interesting and GRRM wrote far too much stuff to fit into the book or the side bars. I've also just this min got back from the airport and I'm very tired. I just wanted to come clean with you guys before going to bed so you did not spend too long speculating about stuff. (although part of me was tempted to let this run a bit longer)

I do remember more from when Peadar interviewed Ran about the book. and the art work he showed us was to die for. really some of the best I've seen. Old Vallirya (spelling) picture was one my favorites from what I saw. It was mentioned when the drawing was first made GRRM said it was wrong and gave the artist (can't remember name of artist) a large description. one of the things mentioned was that a lot of the dragon lords would never set foot on the ground so all the towers had large window (wrong word here, really too big for window and no glass) openings at the top allowing hte dragons and dragon lords to fly between the towers. I think there was a molten river running along the ground between the towers, but I might not have seen that clearly.

I also remember Ran mentioning that the book itself is written as if a Measter of the Citadel (can't remember name) who was an orphan and raised by the citadel because another Maester wanted to study the best way to use swaddling clothes. He was raised to be a servant at first but he really wanted to be a maester at the age of 13? I think he forged the first link of his own chain. When this Orphan Maester grew up he wanted to write a book and contribute to the great knowlegde. This book is supposed to be what he produced. at first it was enscribed to King Robbert, this was then crossed out or over written with King Jofferey then King Tomman. apparently if you look very carefully you will notice it as being over written.

Orphan maester used a lot of work that had already been complied by another Maester ( I think it may have been the one who wanted to use him with the swaddling clothes experiment but I may be wrong here), there are some bits where he mentions the other Maester saying things. and also some bits where he has lifted the other Maesters words from previous documents.

I do hope this is some of what you wanted. I don't think I could tell you any more and be more than 2% right with what was said. Maybe some others can do better. please remember that most people started traveling home today (Monday) some are not leaving till tomorrow (Tuesday) or later.

What I saw of the photos of the book where stunningly beautiful. Its well worth the wait.

The Reading I gave you was Peadar's from the book he is currently writing. It was a fantastic reading and I will defiantly be buying his book when it comes out. I also recommend you guys check out his other books from the Inferior trilogy.

I thought it must be! I've just started reading Peadar's books and highly recommend them :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting Pebble, couldn't agree more that October 28th is going to be well worth the wait :D

my PM box got spammed from someone I've never yet interacted with requesting info form a non- specified reading and not including the word please.

:lmao: God bless the internet.I bet I could guess who this was too.

Your all very welcome.

well I've woken up this morning and remembered something from the reading. (world of Ice and fire one)

Lord Stark (I think it was a Rickard - may be wrong here) had raised an army and marched it to kings landing to suport the King? in the war. but by the time he got his army there the war was over and peace had been agreed. Lord Stark and his northern army were not amused. they really wanted to fight and punish the rebels (probably do some sacking and pillaging )but they where just too late there was a new young child king on the throne.

To appease Lord Stark they gave him the job of Hand and regent. Lord Stark then imeaditaly held trails and executions. I am not sure how many heads decorated some pikes or how many where allowed to take the black. I got the impression both were a high number. 2 notable names (sorry can't remember) Chose death over the wall. The Queen (I think it was the widowed Queen) interceded on someone else's behalf so someone else (can't remember) did not have to have a trial. The "Trails" and executions all took part in a day. the next day Lord Stark quit as hand and went back to Winterfell. Everyone was glad to see him go.

Most? of his army remained behind - most of these where younger sons of lords who wanted glory. they either swore their swords to southern lords, became sell swords or bandits.

After Stark left the regency was given over to a council of 7 people. some of these where replaced / died over the years (I believe of natural causes) . Once the King was of age power was handed over to the king peacefully.

quick tips on getting info you want from Conventions/readings. Spoilerized cos its not relevant to the discussion of the books, and I was only mildly annoyed,

Ask politely in the bwb thread a few days before the con/reading starts. Be specific what one you want. - Your much more likely to get someone taking notes if you ask in advance. then be patient - I know its hard, but you need to wait and give time for people not just to hear the reading but till after the con has ended and people have traveled home and have slept - maybe gone to work the next day and come home again.

The more posts made in threads nicely asking for reports the more it sees like nagging and demanding no matter how nice and polite you are. If after a few days after the con has finished and still nothing then a extra post reminding / asking for stuff is not going to hurt and remind people if they had previously taken note.

Its probably not a good idea to randomly PM people you don't know about this sort of thing, someone asking before in the bwb thread is enough. If we are going we read that. Its ok PM someone who responded to the post saying they would try to take notes if they have not posted anything a few days after the con

Thanks Pebble! :)

So Lord Cregan did finally come south? I wonder what took him so long, seeing as other northern troops had arrived long ago. Did it have something to do with Cregans age? Was he very young at the outbreak of the war? He can't have been too old, because he still needed to be in fighting condition many years later, to fight against Aemon the Dragonknight.

Ran,

the MUSH tree gives 108AC as Cregans birth year. Is this date for him canon? (Since this year is new in the updated 2.0 MUSH tree?)

Just to clarify:

Lord Cregan did declare for Rhaenyra - we know that from TPatQ - and would have come down with the intention to punish the Green loyalist for backing Aegon II. The king he would have wanted to fight for was Aegon III, not Aegon II. That is, unless things did not turn completely around in the last months of the war...

The person interceding on behalf of somebody important during the trials would not have been Helaena. She predeceased Aegon II - but he could have remarried during the remainder of the war. But other women of House Targaryen may have also been alive, too.

I guess the birth date from the MUSH is accurate for Cregan. It takes time to gather men in the North, and TPatQ gives a very strong hint as to why Cregan may have not been too eager to rush in the war in 129.

Archived