(Spoilers) Rhaella Disguise

Unscythed

Hello, everyone. I just recently finished AFfC and I had an idea that maybe Queen Rhaella did not leave Kings Landing and is therefore not Daenerys' mother. I would propose that it was Elia that left Kings Landing for Dragonstone with Viserys and that Aerys II actually killed Rhaella.

I initially had this thought reading Jamie's POV where Darry and he are standing guard outside the queen's bedchamber while Aerys II rapes her.

"Jaime had only seen Rhaella once after that, the morning of the day she left for Dragonstone. The queen had been cloaked and hooded as she climbed inside the royal wheelhouse that would take her down Aegon's High Hill to the waiting ship, but he heard her maids whispering after she was gone. They said the queen looked as if some beast had savaged her, clawing at her thighs and chewing on her breasts. A crowned beast, Jaime knew."

I thought, that's pretty brutal and if she had been "chewed on," it's possible she sustained injuries that were not survivable. It could easily have been Elia leaving since she was cloaked and hooded. The question arises as to why she would leave her children. But what if she did not have a choice? Aerys could have sent her to care for Viserys while holding her children hostage and we already have in AFfC where LC Snow essentially does the same thing with Gilly by forcing her to leave with Mance's baby and leaving hers. I know Elia was not supposed to have more children which would explain her dying during childbirth. Queen Rhaella was considered to be infertile at this point and her secondary infertility has been discussed on other threads. This would also explain why Daenerys was named after Princess Daenerys of Dorne and why we see Dany consistently eating peaches and taking baths as a tie to her namesake. It would also explain some of Viserys' anger that she should have been born earlier. Timewise it is impossible for her to have been born earlier, but her being born earlier would have (in Viserys' mind) negated the need for Rhaegar to run off with Lyanna to produce the third head of the dragon. This theory would also support the theory that Dany spent some time growing up in Dorne as Braavos could not have lemon trees.

Further reading into AFfC, I come across more text to support this theory in one of Brienne's POV chapters.

"...my lady, you wear man's mail, so I shall not spare you these horrors...her breasts had been torn and chewed and eaten, as if by some...cruel beast. I did what I could for her, though that was little enough. As she lay dying, her worst curses were not for the men who had raped her, nor the monster who devoured her living flesh,..."

In this case, the woman whose breasts were "chewed on" died. The only other instance in AFfC where breasts are mentioned in the context of rape was in a Cersei POV where she remembers nights when Robert would take his pleasure that her breasts were "painful from the mauling he would give them." In this instance, they are not chewed, but she is survived. Basically, just bruised. In the other instance, the woman in Saltpans was chewed and she died, so believe this is a hint that Rhaella also died. It would make sense that if Aerys II was as mad as he is made out to be, that people would not openly gossip about what happened to the queen, but whisper as Jaime heard them doing.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or textual evidence to back up my theory that Dany is the third child of Rhaegar and Elia? I realize the implications are huge and most likely this will not be well received, but I really just can't get this theory out of my head.

I always took it more that, whilst Rhaella was bitten multiple times, the woman who suffered the rape in Saltpans actually had bites taken out of her.. Biter was involved, after all, and that was his thing to do.

A few questions/remarks:

Why would Elia and Rhaegar have sex, after he returns from spending almost a year with another woman?

The first Daenerys was presumably named after Queen Daenaera, who in turn might have been named for Daenys the Dreamer, who predicted the Doom of Valyria. There is no indication that Dany was named for a specific Daenerys..

Because Dany likes to take hot baths? We seem plenty of Targaryens who like it hot, so to say. Targaryens are better at dealing with heat than others, there's nothing Dornish about that.

As to the peaches... Renly and Asha eat peaches.. that doesn't make them dornish either.

And Braavos does have lemon trees. The regular people might not have them, because the city is mostly stone, and there simply isn't room for lemon trees to grow. But the courts of the mighty do contain such trees. And Dany has been tied to the Sealord of Braavos. If you can't call him a "mighty" in Braavos, then you can't call anyone a "mighty" in Braavos.

Archived