Things you've seen on an airplane

Little Miss Sunshine

I once sat across the isle from a 40-some couple on a flight from San Diego to Dallas, and I remember the male kept shifting awkwardly. He kept going to the bathroom and coming back just a minute or so later, and I distinctly recall wondering if he had hemorrhoids or something similar irritating his anus. Then, about an hour and a half into the flight, I heard him say 'I don't know how you keep these in for so long, it's really uncomfortable.'

Context makes it clear that he was wearing a butt plug. It takes a brave man to wear a butt plug. It takes a far braver one to go through airport security. True story, I laughed for days.

Mile high club here... I don't really need to describe in detail the things I saw Do I?

Word, got there myself last New Years.

I'll take a copy of your memoirs as well. I kinda want to know about dat hair.

Just a little after take-off once we had to go back because the pilot informed us one of the engines was overheating. Well, we could see the engine from our seats and it wasn't just overheating - there were flames shooting out of it. Oddly, we weren't worried. The plane was still flying smoothly so couldn't be too bad? Was also fun to see the emergency vehicles lined up when we landed, just in case.

Once I had to fly back home in a small commuter jet. It was a little stormy, but the pilot decided to give it a go. It was turbulent because of the lightning storm, but so beautiful to watch the clouds light up from inside seemingly just outside the window.

at least it was just the toilet, and not the exit...

The L1 door, also known as front left door and through which passengers board the plane, was one of the doors he tried to open before he finally figured out where the toilet was...[emoji12]

So many great memories and stories, everyone! Keep them coming [emoji3] I will tell you a couple more of mine later, including some that could be a joke... buy sadly they're not xD

Ok, I have time now :)

So... when I was working as a flight attendant, the (low-cost) company for which I was working decided to (finally) implement a reserved seating policy. They started with the overwings/emergency exits and the first row of the aircraft to see if it was worth it. The cabin crew was supposed to leave a paper on each of those seats with a typical "seat+forbidden sign" image and the words "RESERVED SEAT". During the first two weeks, it was really rare for passengers to actually book those seats, since they weren't familiar with the new policy, so the rows were empty during most flights (we weren't allowed to let anyone else seat there unless the flight was fully book).

On a flight from Venice, my colleague comes to the back galley after boarding trying his best not burst into laughter like a hyena. It took him five entire minutes to catch enough breath in order to tell us what happened. Apparently a passenger who must have been a frequent flyer (airplane commuting from one city to another is quite common in Italy, apparently) and whose English wasn't that good approached my friend, looking quite annoyed and confused, and asked him in Italian:

"I don't understand this! Why do these people from SEAT always book these rows and then never show up? It's been like this for two weeks, damn it!".

Let's just say this is still a running joke on my former base and my go-to party joke even if I left the company 2 years ago.

So... when I was working as a flight attendant, the (low-cost) company for which I was working decided to (finally) implement a reserved seating policy. They started with the overwings/emergency exits and the first row of the aircraft to see if it was worth it. The cabin crew was supposed to leave a paper on each of those seats with a typical "seat+forbidden sign" image and the words "RESERVED SEAT". During the first two weeks, it was really rare for passengers to actually book those seats, since they weren't familiar with the new policy, so the rows were empty during most flights (we weren't allowed to let anyone else seat there unless the flight was fully book).

On a flight from Venice, my colleague comes to the back galley after boarding trying his best not burst into laughter like a hyena. It took him five entire minutes to catch enough breath in order to tell us what happened. Apparently a passenger who must have been a frequent flyer (airplane commuting from one city to another is quite common in Italy, apparently) and whose English wasn't that good approached my friend, looking quite annoyed and confused, and asked him in Italian:

"I don't understand this! Why do these people from SEAT always book these rows and then never show up? It's been like this for two weeks, damn it!".

Wait, you were not supposed to let anybody sit in the row by the emergency exits? I was told that those seats must always be taken, so when I flew from Palermo in February (coincidentally with the same company you mention), two friends and I were told by the flight attendant to sit there because the flight was not fully booked. We saw a partly torn handle that is probably supposed to fasten the emergency exit and joked about the plane falling apart. Well, the two friends found it funnier than I, who am not at all used to flying.

That SEAT story is precious. :D

Wait, you were not supposed to let anybody sit in the row by the emergency exits? I was told that those seats must always be taken, so when I flew from Palermo in February (coincidentally with the same company you mention), two friends and I were told by the flight attendant to sit there because the flight was not fully booked. We saw a partly torn handle that is probably supposed to fasten the emergency exit and joked about the plane falling apart. Well, the two friends found it funnier than I, who am not at all used to flying.

These were the first days of the reserved seat policy for that particular company, we had orders to not let anyone seat there unless they had reserved the seat and brief the rows immediately in front/behind the seat in case something happened and they had to help us in case of emergency. It changed shortly afterwards, once the rule was 100% greenlighted, to the situation you described.

But yes I'll never get tired of telling this story :drunk:

Archived