Your best vacation?

Calibandar

Baxus - I try very hard not to look like a tourist. I research what locals wear given the temperatures of the month and so forth. I don't just show up in short shorts with a camera slung around my neck.

I also learn enough if the language before I go so that I can say hello, goodbye, please, thank you, where is the...no, yes, etc.

I also like to learn the customs. This helped out significantly in Italy, as I ate at the bar with the locals and paid their prices, while the tourists sat outside and paid triple.

I'd go back to Rome in February, since that seems to be a good time of year per Cuellar!!!

I would have actually chosen that, but my best friend insisted May.

The whole negative thing about "tourists" is weird to me.

It's great you get informed on the local culture, do your homework and all that, but you're still a tourist.

After all, you didn't go to some backwater village in the south of Italy where there are 5 old people and a donkey to live there for a year and experience day to day life there, you went to Rome and Florence who are among the world's top tourist destinations for a week or two.

I reallllly want to go to Berlin.

It's great city though the hispterism (is that the word?) can be a bit much at times.

I have been lucky enough to go on some really great trips. I would say that my absolute favorite was probably the New Year's trip that my bf and I did 2 years ago in Costa Rica.

What a beautiful country. We stayed at a nice hotel in San Jose (very affordable, though) that had its own gardens that were just beautiful. And we rented a car so we could explore. The beaches were amazing, the mountains were insanely gorgeous, and there were so many different things to check out. We went parasailing, something I had wanted to do forever, and it was amazing. Good food, friendly people, not too expensive. And on New Year's Eve everyone lights off their own fireworks, so we had quite the show to watch. About the only downside was getting there involved a really long layover in Mexico City to get the cheapest tickets. I would definitely pay more to avoid that again!

My student backpacking extravaganzas were amazing experiences but probably not something I'd be able to do again (or certainly not get much enjoyment out of). Top holiday slot probably has to go to last year's canoe safari down the Zambezi - such a wonderful trip, wild camping on the river sandbanks under the stars and days of dodging hippos and crocs down the river, nothing more awesome.

we were in Tuscany in October and to be honest I didn't find it to be particularly dirty (we went to Florence too). There were a lot of tourists for that time of year (though not extremely crowded). For some reason, most were American.

My best vacation was Portugal. Lisbon is my favourite city I've been to so far.

Archived