The Collective DCU TVerse -- Lions, Titans, and Supergirls

Bastard of Boston

Stole the idea from Rhom, with the latest news of Titans' impending pilot for TNT and the previously posted news of Supergirl development.

I figure we need a place to discuss the shows which aren't quite worthy of their own topics, considering their early stages of development.

Kind of deflated for Steven McQueen, who has been campaigning for a Nightwing role on Arrow for the last two years. I came to appreciate his passion for it, and I got to the point where I was hoping it would happen.

DC is absolutely saturating TV, while Marvel dominates the box office. We have Arrow and Flash on CW, Gotham on Fox, and Constantine on NBC, already.

While I am absolutely against combining the DCU films with any of the series, I think it would be great if the various networks managed to come to some type of agreement over a shared universe -- it would benefit them all to have the occasional crossover.

While I am absolutely against combining the DCU films with any of the series, I think it would be great if the various networks managed to come to some type of agreement over a shared universe -- it would benefit them all to have the occasional crossover.

It might be cool, but the advantage of keeping them separate is that it removes the need to be concerned about consistency of tone and style, which means each show can do what's best for itself without worrying too much about the others.

It might be cool, but the advantage of keeping them separate is that it removes the need to be concerned about consistency of tone and style, which means each show can do what's best for itself without worrying too much about the others.

True. I suppose the asterisk would be whether the shows fit. For example, Constantine might not fit with the likes of Arrow and Flash, but I think Titans and Supergirl could coexist with Flash and Arrow.

Good move. I was really struggling with whether to start a topic for Teen Titans, then I almost put it in the BvS thread or maybe the Arrow thread. :dunno:

It remains to be seen how successful all these other shows will be. I think Gotham has a chance at being decent. Arrow is obviously better than anticipated. Can Flash and Supergirl reach that level? :dunno:

I'm sure CW is miffed that they can't do a crossover show with the Titans. I guess they can make their own version (or of the league) with Arrow, Supergirl. Flash and maybe some others. I'd like to see CW get the modern blue beetle but he might be tricky to do on a TV budget.

Given Gotham is going to have all the Batman villains (Arrow season 3 may be the last we see of Ra's), Nightwing on his own may have been a bit pointless (I'm trying to think if he has a good rogues gallery)

While DC is flooding the market we need to remember that Marvel has 5 shows about to hit next year (I keep forgetting the schedule) along with SHIELD and Agent Carter. If the films are anything to by they can do a cohesive universe (even if SHIELD isn't great). I think this is the problem with the TV shows though in terms of being shared - it can actually limit creativity which was an underlying problem of SHIELD in not using the brand for fear of the IP being potentially better off in a movie. The benefit of the DC shows being separate is that they don't have to worry about this and can probably duplicate characters as long as they aren't explicitly prohibited. I think it's why Arrow worked so well (that and it just pretended to be Batman)

I think the DC shows have the benefit of having worlds that can be fully explored. The Flash has a great cast of villains (which they are thankfully mining) and as long as they balance his power it should be good (the pilot worked). I'm not massively familiar with Constantine but that world of urban fantasy with a PI type antihero is a popular one (although Dresden Files failed) and again there seems to be plenty of story arcs/villains to draw from. Supergirl and Titans may be the trickiest to he honest - I hope the people working on those have some good ideas to make them work as shows.

Given Gotham is going to have all the Batman villains (Arrow season 3 may be the last we see of Ra's), Nightwing on his own may have been a bit pointless (I'm trying to think if he has a good rogues gallery)

I can't see any particular reason why Gotham will get exclusive rights to Ra's, or even really need to use him at all. As I said in the other topic, I'm more wondering what will happen with Deathstroke, as he's a major Teen Titans villain.

I can't see any particular reason why Gotham will get exclusive rights to Ra's, or even really need to use him at all. As I said in the other topic, I'm more wondering what will happen with Deathstroke, as he's a major Teen Titans villain.

I'm sure its been mentioned before how certain characters are "off-limits" to "Arrow" eg "Batman and Superman (probably wonder woman now she's in the film)". If I were making the Gotham show I'd prefer it if Arrow wasn't doing versions of the villains you want to use in your show. Likewise I wouldn't be happy if another "constantine" showed up in "gotham" if I was involved in the constantine show. Or if Oliver Queen/Green Arrow appeared somewhere else. It just makes things a bit messy and handicaps the actors/characters coming along second.

I get the impression these shows have a "list" in much the same way Sony, Disney and Fox have a list of Marvel characters. It's something they should be doing with all these shows turning up on different networks.

Of course, you could approach it like they do with the animated shows/films where anything goes and that doesn't seem to create too much of a problem (although I preferred it when they were all DCAU).

Also Ra's would make a great villain in Gotham. Ra's could have a long standing interest in Gotham connecting him to the place long before Batman. He'd make an interesting spin on a terrorist too. I suspect he won't be immortal on Gotham as it seems to be going for a non-super version. Maybe that will provide the other shows with some of the more fantastic Batman villains.

In terms of Deathstroke, I agree it would be hard to imagine Titans without it. I think they could work around that one by having the Arrow character simply become Slade - he's mainly known as that in "arrow" anyhow and losing the "deathstroke" name would help with the "turning a new leaf" story arc I assume will occur.

ha

Supergirl has been picked up by CBS.

Interesting that it won't be on the CW. Makes me wonder if it will be part of the Flash/Arrow continuity or not now. :dunno:

What if Supergirl becomes part of the movie continuity whole Arrow and Flash doesn't? I mean a Supergirl character with no connection to Superman sounds like a horrible idea to me. But, crappy as it was, if they used the MOS Superman continuity as a background and relegate Supergirl's adventures to the small screen, it'd make sense.

Only then you'd have high profile DC TV shows where some were part of movie continuity and some weren't contributing to the general clusterfuck of the DCverse...so I believe it could happen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to think of an example of animated and live action mixed in the same universe......there's Star Wars obviously, but I don't think that ever overlapped? Having continuing storylines with characters alternating between the two continuously is certainly interesting.

I don't know anything about the CW online thing, well this be viewable in the UK?

I'm trying to think of an example of animated and live action mixed in the same universe......there's Star Wars obviously, but I don't think that ever overlapped? Having continuing storylines with characters alternating between the two continuously is certainly interesting.

I don't know anything about the CW online thing, well this be viewable in the UK?

It's going to be interesting to see how it goes. If Vixen is a successful show, they'll inevitably want to include her in live action crossovers. And, will the live action characters ever reference their time as...cartoons? That's going to be weird. Not in a bad way. DC is really taking this shared TV universe stuff to a whole new level. It's almost like their kids, playing in a giant sandbox. Anything goes.

I am not sure if it'll be available in the UK. I know CW Seed is a thing right now, so you can test it by trying to watch one of their shows. I only know it from the Veronica Mars spinoff pseudo reality show.

In other interesting news, it was announced at the big CW event today that Steven McQueen is leaving Vampire Diaries. He's been campaigning for a Nightwing role for at least the last year. With TNT doing their Titans pilot, a lot of people are going out on the limb of assuming he's somehow involved.

Oh, and both Arrow and Flash got renewed for new seasons...not like it was ever in question. There's also talk of Brandon Routh getting an Atom spinoff show.

Another look at the Firestorm costume

Costume in action

• 2 weeks later...

So is Supergirl gonna be wearing the costume week to week? I haven't seen any mention of that. Also it seems strange to me having Supergirl turn up before Superman, so Superman's left with just copying his cousin. Not that we'll ever see him, but still......it would be an odd DC Universe in which Superman never shows up. I think it'd be pretty awesome if in Arrow and/or Flash, completely out of the blue while they're all dealing with something else, suddenly the world goes nuts for this crazy helicopter rescue in Metropolis and everyone's talking about this 'Superman'. But I can't see Supergirl being able to not address the presence of a cousin, and I can't imagine we'll be having Superman as a character, even briefly, in the DCTVU.

This is all assuming it's confirmed that Supergirl exists alongside Arrow and Flash? I know the producer alluded to it but is it actually confirmed?

There's some confusion about Supergirl's connection to the CW shows. The producers have said there is the potential for crossover, but some CBS exec said they were keeping Supergirl for themselves, whatever that means. There's probably some disconnect there, as I am not sure the exec is even privy to what the producers are saying. Literally every person behind the CW shows is producing SG, so at the very least, we can expect the same tone. I believe a costume has been confirmed.

If casting auditions are anything to go by, Superman is referenced in the pilot, so it appears he is in the picture, operating in public.

Archived