Dornish Debates II: Of Orphans and Inheritance

Julia Martell

If Arianne isn't convinced by Aegon, would Dorne be likely to hold out for Dany?

And if so...

Hotah paid more note to those who did not drink: Ser Daemon Sand, Lord Tremond Gargalen, the Fowler twins, Dagos Manwoody, the Ullers of the Hellholt, the Wyls of the Boneway. If there is trouble, it could start with one of them. Dorne was an angry and divided land, and Prince Doran’s hold on it was not as firm as it might be. Many of his own lords thought him weak and would have welcomed open war with the Lannisters and the boy king on the Iron Throne.

Place your bets! I'm voting for the Ullers to stir up trouble, though I'd like some action in the Boneway (maybe in the form of a new Vulture King).

If Arianne isn't convinced by Aegon, would Dorne be likely to hold out for Dany?

I have trouble seeing that happening, especially once they get news of Quentyn.

I'm really liking this idea of officially staying out of it but using some kind of Vulture King like figure to make Aegon/Dany's life difficult in the Stormlands.

Dornish Independence! They may take our lemons, but they'll never take our freeeedoooom!

They'll side with fAegon, no matter what. If he marries Arianne, well, that's done.

But even if he refuses, I don't see Doran turning his back to his nephew, not only because they are close family, but because Aegon seems to be a strong contender. He has 10,000 men, a seasoned commander like JonCon, quite a few castles (and Storm's End likely in that list), and probably, some Reach lords helping him.

And Doran ain't stupid. Even if he is insulted by Aegon rejecting Arianne (something we can only guess), he is not stupid either. He will back Aegon, even more after he finds out how and why Quentyn died.

I guess their marriage was having problems even before that.

(Aegon was the "save the marriage/I'm sorry I crowned that girl, I don't want to sleep in the couch" baby for R and E, it is known)

“Doran Martell and his Norvoshi wife had spent half their marriage apart and the other half arguing” Quentyn ADWD.

So yeah. I would say they had more than problems.

They'll side with fAegon, no matter what. If he marries Arianne, well, that's done.

But even if he refuses, I don't see Doran turning his back to his nephew, not only because they are close family, but because Aegon seems to be a strong contender. He has 10,000 men, a seasoned commander like JonCon, quite a few castles (and Storm's End likely in that list), and probably, some Reach lords helping him.

And Doran ain't stupid. Even if he is insulted by Aegon rejecting Arianne (something we can only guess), he is not stupid either. He will back Aegon, even more after he finds out how and why Quentyn died.

I'm actually of the mind that Arianne won't be offering herself at all for this cause (just Dornish support).

And keep in mind both Doran and Daemon are skeptical of Aegon's true identity.

So I don't see Aegon being in a position to reject Arianne, but rather the other way around.

I'm actually of the mind that Arianne won't be offering herself at all for this cause (just Dornish support).

So I don't see Aegon being in a position to reject Arianne, but rather the other way around.

I know both of them are skeptical about it, but there is only one way to prove it: once Arianne sees Aegon has purple eyes, silver hair and JonCon, I'm pretty sure both her and Doran will believe he's real.

There's really no other way. If those things don't convince Doran, even the real Aegon wouldn't convince him.

I've always thought it'll be more likely that Elia will be the one getting involved with Aegon. She's been sent for a reason and I imagine its to cause trouble somehow. Especially as Aegon might be interested in a young woman named after his mother, I can't imagine the peoples he's spent his life with can tell him a lot about his parents but maybe someone named after his mother might know somethings about her namesake. Plus Arianne also met Rhaenys, and Elia even if the memories are vague. Elia and Aegon are also closer to age, teenage silliness might make them bond.

Plus despite everyone going on about Aegon being some perfect prince he's been known for temper tantrums etc, it's entirely possible he might do something stupid with Elia and possibly start to rebel against his ''masters'', especially surrounded by the freer Dornish people who might try to get him in touch with the other part of his heritage to maybe get a better feel of him, maybe loosen his lips see if he says something that doesn't quite add up.

I've always thought it'll be more likely that Elia will be the one getting involved with Aegon. She's been sent for a reason and I imagine its to cause trouble somehow. Especially as Aegon might be interested in a young woman named after his mother, I can't imagine the peoples he's spent his life with can tell him a lot about his parents but maybe someone named after his mother might know somethings about her namesake. Plus Arianne also met Rhaenys, and Elia even if the memories are vague. Elia and Aegon are also closer to age, teenage silliness might make them bond.

Plus despite everyone going on about Aegon being some perfect prince he's been known for temper tantrums etc, it's entirely possible he might do something stupid with Elia and possibly start to rebel against his ''masters'', especially surrounded by the freer Dornish people who might try to get him in touch with the other part of his heritage to maybe get a better feel of him, maybe loosen his lips see if he says something that doesn't quite add up.

The situation is this:

You are 18, extremly handsome, athletic, smart, etc. And...virgin.

Two girls show up. The first one is a young girl, 14 years old. People say she smells like a horse.

The second is a grown woman, 23-24, extremly hot and extremly open minded about sex. That girls happen to be your cousin, and your family seems to have a hard on for incest.

Poor fAegon is not even going to think about it. He'll try to hit Arianne. That's for sure. If Elia and Aegon are supposed to be together they will, but not at first.

The situation is this:

You are 18, extremly handsome, athletic, smart, etc. And...virgin.

Two girls show up. The first one is a young girl, 14 years old. People say she smells like a horse.

The second is a grown woman, 23-24, extremly hot and extremly open minded about sex. That girls happen to be your cousin, and your family seems to have a hard on for incest.

Poor fAegon is not even going to think about it. He'll try to hit Arianne. That's for sure. If Elia and Aegon are supposed to be together they will, but not at first.

Im not sure if the rules changed but shouldnt this be under spoiler tags?

Without going into too much detail on the spoiler chapter, it seems to me that Arianne's ambitions encompass being Queen of Westeros, and offering herself in marriage to Aegon seems the obvious way of achieving that.

I think this will end very badly for Arianne.

Why would Arianne want him? She finally got her birthright to rule Dorne, like she's always wanted. I don't see her giving it up to be his #2.

Being Princess of Dorne vs being Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

I don't know which one Arianne would choose, but there are plenty reasons for her to want him. Plenty.

For her POV in TWOW, she looks like she'd prefer the latter

I know both of them are skeptical about it, but there is only one way to prove it: once Arianne sees Aegon has purple eyes, silver hair and JonCon, I'm pretty sure both her and Doran will believe he's real.

There's really no other way. If those things don't convince Doran, even the real Aegon wouldn't convince him.

We'll just have to wait and see at this point. We've all made our position on this particular issue quite clear. :-)

For myself, I just don't see this whole Aegon/Arianne thing as the given most posters seem to think it is.

Why would Arianne want him? She finally got her birthright to rule Dorne, like she's always wanted. I don't see her giving it up to be his #2.

Seriously, This. ^

Being Princess of Dorne vs being Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

I don't know which one Arianne would choose, but there are plenty reasons for her to want him. Plenty.

For her POV in TWOW, she looks like she'd prefer the latter

Really? Just looked to me like she wanted to sit on Daemon's face.

Archived