Best recent fanatsy debuts (or thoughts on these books)?

End of Disc One

Huh, I didn't know she was going to need a KS. Did nightshade drop her after their death and reincarnation?

She first announced she would go this route before the rebirth. Not sure of the details past that.

Here's the post

Aw, thanks, Guinevere! Always great to hear someone's eager for the big finale. One tiny correction - the kickstarter for The Labyrinth of Flame will be in mid-February but the book will still need to go through copyedit & layout/conversion afterward, so ebooks won't be out right away. They will go out to backers the instant the files are ready, though (with physical copies shipping soon after, for those who want them).

Ironically enough, though Night Shade isn't the publisher for this 3rd book, I'm pretty much using all ex-Night-Shade folks to produce it. (Same artist, same cover designer, etc, as did the first books in the series.) So it's kind of like the old Night Shade is doing the book, except everyone's getting paid on time. :P

Anyone have a link to where I can buy an ebook of Courtney Schafer's Whitefire Crossing. Can only seem to find paperback copies.

I am guessing you may be outside of North America. Unfortunately ebooks of The Whitefire Crossing & The Tainted City are no longer readily available outside the US & CA, as Night Shade Books (the publisher) only holds North American rights. Used to be that NS sold DRM-free copies through Baen's webscription site, but since NS was bought out, the new owners have taken down all books from Baen for which they didn't hold world rights. I'm pretty sad about this, as I hate that international people can't easily buy the ebooks anymore.

But! I'm hoping this will change soon. I'm working out a plan for my upcoming kickstarter in Feb that would allow me to offer ebook editions of the entire series to everyone no matter where they reside. And once I have The Labyrinth of Flame completed and out the door, I hope to put up my own versions of the first 2 books on Amazon UK (since I hold the UK rights, not Night Shade).

Oh yeah, and someone was wondering why I'm kickstarting #3 instead of going with New Night Shade. Let's just say that I thought kickstarting would be the less stressful choice, for a whole host of reasons.

OwaynOTT: Are you in the States by any chance? Amazon US seems to have a kindle version of Schafer's Whitefire Crossing. I've just been to her website and there are links -- I found them in a blog as a convenience for people reading the post but I'm sure they're somewhere more logical like a "books" section as well -- to a Kobo edition and I believe IBooks. Sounds like it's a good time to be catching up on that series, as Schafer seems to be planning to launch her kickstarter for the final book, The Labyrinth of Flame, in February [the book is fully drafted and revisions sound like they're in an advanced state.]

That is good to know about The Emperor's Blades picking up. I read an excerpt last year and assumed I could safely pass it by. I shall reevaluate!

No Ireland, so I can't purchase the US kindle without changing my address. I'll try the kobo and iBooks links but the iBooks will likely be problematic because I'm in Ireland. Thanks though.

I am guessing you may be outside of North America. Unfortunately ebooks of The Whitefire Crossing & The Tainted City are no longer readily available outside the US & CA, as Night Shade Books (the publisher) only holds North American rights. Used to be that NS sold DRM-free copies through Baen's webscription site, but since NS was bought out, the new owners have taken down all books from Baen for which they didn't hold world rights. I'm pretty sad about this, as I hate that international people can't easily buy the ebooks anymore.

But! I'm hoping this will change soon. I'm working out a plan for my upcoming kickstarter in Feb that would allow me to offer ebook editions of the entire series to everyone no matter where they reside. And once I have The Labyrinth of Flame completed and out the door, I hope to put up my own versions of the first 2 books on Amazon UK (since I hold the UK rights, not Night Shade).

Oh yeah, and someone was wondering why I'm kickstarting #3 instead of going with New Night Shade. Let's just say that I thought kickstarting would be the less stressful choice, for a whole host of reasons.

That's great news. Well the bit about you releasing the ebooks in the UK, not the bit about where you had all the hassle with Night Shade books. Your book will likely be the first thing I support on kickstarter as well. Best of luck with it!

I've made a decision to not read any debut until it's been out for a couple of years....let the hype die down and see what people are still talking about years later*. However I keep seeing these authors show up on sites I visit and people keep raving about them which makes them hard to ignore. Could be good marketing, too. Which would you say is the best of these?

Anthony Ryan - Blood Song

Brian McClellan - Promise of Blood

Django Wexler - The Thousand Names

Brian Staveley - The Emperor's Blades

Probably the newest author I've read is Mark Lawrence, whom I no longer see as one of the new boys, what with four published books under his belt. What are your thougts on the above series, or any other recent debuts?

*This approach is not fool proof by the way...Mark Charan Newton is one author who people stopped talking about, and I've recently found his books to be absolutely brilliant.

I've read 3 of those 4 (BloodSong, Promise of Blood and The Emperor's Blades) and last year(before reading their respective sequels) I would have ranked them as

1. BloodSong

2. Promise of Blood

3. Emperor's Blades

This is, of course, relative and I still consider the Emperor's Blades to be a very enjoyable read.

Right now (After reading Tower Lord, Providence of Fire and Crimson Campaign) however the rankings have changed drastically.

I was disappointed by both the Tower Lord (This book screamed filler and I found the new POVs, Reva especially, to be boring/bland) and the Crimson Campaign (also had a bit of a filler problem, though I cant pinpoint exactly what I didnt like - maybe I expected too much of this book).

I just finished Providence of Fire last night and it was a much better book than the first one (which was a very good book on its own). It is a roller-coaster ride and there are some truly lovely and brutal twists that I never saw coming (though tbh some of the twists did seem a bit forced - but i still enjoyed them) - more importantly it got me emotionally involved with the characters (I can happily say that I hate Adare, love Valyn and cant wait to find out what Kaden does next)- something neither Tower Lord and Crimson Campaign could manage.

New Rankings

1. Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne

2. Powder Mage Trilogy

3. Raven's shadow

I've read 3 of those 4 (BloodSong, Promise of Blood and The Emperor's Blades) and last year(before reading their respective sequels) I would have ranked them as

1. BloodSong

2. Promise of Blood

3. Emperor's Blades

This is, of course, relative and I still consider the Emperor's Blades to be a very enjoyable read.

Right now (After reading Tower Lord, Providence of Fire and Crimson Campaign) however the rankings have changed drastically.

I was disappointed by both the Tower Lord (This book screamed filler and I found the new POVs, Reva especially, to be boring/bland) and the Crimson Campaign (also had a bit of a filler problem, though I cant pinpoint exactly what I didnt like - maybe I expected too much of this book).

I just finished Providence of Fire last night and it was a much better book than the first one (which was a very good book on its own). It is a roller-coaster ride and there are some truly lovely and brutal twists that I never saw coming (though tbh some of the twists did seem a bit forced - but i still enjoyed them) - more importantly it got me emotionally involved with the characters (I can happily say that I hate Adare, love Valyn and cant wait to find out what Kaden does next)- something neither Tower Lord and Crimson Campaign could manage.

New Rankings

1. Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne

2. Powder Mage Trilogy

3. Raven's shadow

I like this.

Although after PoF I'm not sure that I /love/ Valyn. He acted like a bit of fucking idiot throughout most of the book.

Still loved the book though.

Archived