Samsung Galaxy tab vs. iPad mini?

Mormont'sRaven

Hey,

I'm using the computer too much and my wrists are starting to kill me. While I'll always type on the computer, I realized that I don't need to web-browse and read on it anymore thanks to tablets.

So which one is the best entry-level one?

I'm a kind of broke Internet writer so I can't really afford the top of the line stuff.

So I saw a cheap Samsung one that was only about $180. The cheapest apple tablet is like $250! Is it that much better though?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm using the computer too much and my wrists are starting to kill me. While I'll always type on the computer, I realized that I don't need to web-browse and read on it anymore thanks to tablets.

So which one is the best entry-level one?

I'm a kind of broke Internet writer so I can't really afford the top of the line stuff.

So I saw a cheap Samsung one that was only about $180. The cheapest apple tablet is like $250! Is it that much better though?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

As a mobile app developer, I've had some experience with both Android and iOS devices.

I'm willing to admit to a bias here, but in my opinion Apple devices are clearly better.

Don't compare cheap Samsung ones to cheap Apple ones.

Samsung builds a whole range of devices with vastly different specs and quality.

Apple is doesn't do cheap devices.

If you do compare iPad mini and 30-40% cheaper Android device, iPad mini really is that much better.

You do get what you pay for and though as Howdyphillip said, Apple does charge their brand name and logo, their devices really are top notch.

Also, keep software updates in mind. Apple has released iOS 8 yesterday (or the day before) and users with iPhone 4S (3 year old devices) could update. Android devices rarely get updates after more than a year in.

It may not seem important, but it may make a difference between being able to run an app on your device or not a year or two down the road.

In the end, it will come down to what device feels better in your hands and what you enjoy using more.

Try them out and don't bother with brands, names, prices etc.

If the price is a big deal and you're not in a hurry, you can always wait for a new iPad release (expected in November, I think) which means current devices will get cheaper.

If you're just looking for an entry-level tablet, I'd say go for the cheaper one. Read a few reviews to make sure it's not a slow tablet, but otherwise you should be fine.

In the end, it all really depends on what kind of user you are. I needed a tablet that I could use for my research - so something that has a good file organisation and annotation apps, is big enough that I can view a PDF on it comfortably and can be used to take legible notes with a stylus as well. After trying out Samsung Note, I had to grudgingly go with an iPad, as it was just that much more responsive.

On the other hand, my friend is thrilled with his Nexus tablet - he uses it for browsing, watching his favourite series etc, and it serves him really well (not to mention it mostly fits into his pocket). I would suggest something like this to you too - Nexus devices have a reputation for being reliable hardware-wise, and Nexus 7 is in your price range.

If you're just looking for an entry-level tablet, I'd say go for the cheaper one. Read a few reviews to make sure it's not a slow tablet, but otherwise you should be fine.

In the end, it all really depends on what kind of user you are. I needed a tablet that I could use for my research - so something that has a good file organisation and annotation apps, is big enough that I can view a PDF on it comfortably and can be used to take legible notes with a stylus as well. After trying out Samsung Note, I had to grudgingly go with an iPad, as it was just that much more responsive.

On the other hand, my friend is thrilled with his Nexus tablet - he uses it for browsing, watching his favourite series etc, and it serves him really well (not to mention it mostly fits into his pocket). I would suggest something like this to you too - Nexus devices have a reputation for being reliable hardware-wise, and Nexus 7 is in your price range.

For about a year they do. I've had to replace my mini-usb charger and have to constantly fiddle with the cords under the hood as they slip out easily. Though I love mine and used it hourly for that year, the hardware aspect leaves something to be desired. Definitely get the extended warranty.

Android devices rarely get updates after more than a year in.

And this is simply not true, plus the apps for both iOS and Android are comparable. Heck, even Windows has most of the useful apps that the others have, so don't worry about apps.

And this is simply not true, plus the apps for both iOS and Android are comparable. Heck, even Windows has most of the useful apps that the others have, so don't worry about apps.

It was in my experience, limited as it may be.

But let it never be said I'm not willing to admit my own mistake.

Please, tell me of a 3 year old Android device that runs the latest version of Android.

If you meant app updates, they do get those and I'm sorry if I didn't express my point properly in the original post. ;)

Even so, after a while (though definitely more than a year), apps stop updating for older OS versions (iOS and Android both) since it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you have an old version of the OS, you'll get stuck with the outdated app.

It was in my experience, limited as it may be.

But let it never be said I'm not willing to admit my own mistake.

Please, tell me of a 3 year old Android device that runs the latest version of Android.

If you meant app updates, they do get those and I'm sorry if I didn't express my point properly in the original post. ;)

Even so, after a while (though definitely more than a year), apps stop updating for older OS versions (iOS and Android both) since it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you have an old version of the OS, you'll get stuck with the outdated app.

You said a year before, but my version 1 Nexus 7 has the most recent version Android and gets continuous updates.

You said a year before, but my version 1 Nexus 7 has the most recent version Android and gets continuous updates.

My old HTC phone (Wildfire) had one Android update and that was it.

My HTC One Mini had one update so far but it's a year old device.

My girlfriend and quite a few friends had either Samsung or HTC phones who had one Android update and that was it.

Nexus series might be different from other Android devices with Google being in control of it.

Still, original Nexus 7 is 2 years old, and we'll have to see how long those updates last.

I have an original iPad that's nearing 3 years old. I've used it heavily every day. It still works great. Battery lasts 10-12 hrs continuous use. I've never had an issue with it. For me, the higher price has been well worth it.

Go with android if you are used to a PC. Apple's IOS is extremely unwieldly. Starting with something as simple as no folder view you cannot drag and drop objects as you see fit but need a special program to do so and you can not transfer files to the tablet unless there is an app who can open them (unless you jailbreak your Ipad anyway) and so on.

But the crucial reason you should pick android over IOS is that Apple doesn't allow extensions for webbrowsers in their system. Which means all the regular browsers will let you encounter the internet without any protection against advertisement, which makes browsing a human rights violation. There are ways around this too of course but you can simply install firefox with adblock on a android just as you can on a PC.

I've had a Google nexus 7 for a bit over a year and really have been impressed with it. Its held up under regular and going with me to school on a daily basis without issue. The only problem Ive had is the power cord adapter, and that onky because I managed to drop it a glass of milk. This is, obiously, a operator issue. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking a durable, general use tablet, unless they have a strong preference for Apple products.

Go with android if you are used to a PC. Apple's IOS is extremely unwieldly. Starting with something as simple as no folder view you cannot drag and drop objects as you see fit but need a special program to do so and you can not transfer files to the tablet unless there is an app who can open them (unless you jailbreak your Ipad anyway) and so on.

But the crucial reason you should pick android over IOS is that Apple doesn't allow extensions for webbrowsers in their system. Which means all the regular browsers will let you encounter the internet without any protection against advertisement, which makes browsing a human rights violation. There are ways around this too of course but you can simply install firefox with adblock on a android just as you can on a PC.

From an OS perspective the Windows OS is superior to all of them, Android comes in 2nd, and iOS comes in last. iOS was great and the best (by FAR) when it came out, but its shortcomings are becoming pretty glaring as time goes on, especially from a development perspective, but now it's sneaking into user use as well.

I had two Nexxus 7 tablets in 18 months. The original one broke when my partner dropped it while she was sleeping.* I had the Staples protection and was able to get my money back, with which I bought the second version of the Nexxus 7. Both of them had the same issue; they would restart on their own. Also, the screen would dim even while you were touching the screen. I got my money back, again through the Staples plan, and got the iPad Mini (older version, I was not paying $379 for the new Mini with Retina).

The Nexxus 7 worked well. You can't go wrong with it, as long as you get one free of issues. The iPad Mini works well also, although it takes some getting used to.

* I was able to keep the first Nexxus 7. It has a cracked screen. Does anyone know if it can be fixed and what it would cost? If it's worth it I was thinking of having it fixed and giving it to my five year old daughter.

From an OS perspective the Windows OS is superior to all of them, Android comes in 2nd, and iOS comes in last.

From an OS perspective, the only OS Windows is superior to is DOS.

The only advantage Windows has is that most users are pretty used to it.

Android and iOS will require some time to get used to, but it's far from rocket science.

After initial adaptation, they are both vastly superior to Windows.

My old HTC phone (Wildfire) had one Android update and that was it.

My HTC One Mini had one update so far but it's a year old device.

My girlfriend and quite a few friends had either Samsung or HTC phones who had one Android update and that was it.

Nexus series might be different from other Android devices with Google being in control of it.

Still, original Nexus 7 is 2 years old, and we'll have to see how long those updates last.

Google reliably keeps their Nexus devices up to date, as far as I know. I wouldn't get an Android device from another company, as even if they do provide updates they're apparently behind Google by 3+ months, which is really unacceptable.

I'm very happy with my Nexus 7, which I've had for over a year without hardware issues. The only software issues I've encountered were with one specific app, not with the OS.

Google reliably keeps their Nexus devices up to date, as far as I know. I wouldn't get an Android device from another company, as even if they do provide updates they're apparently behind Google by 3+ months, which is really unacceptable.

I'm very happy with my Nexus 7, which I've had for over a year without hardware issues. The only software issues I've encountered were with one specific app, not with the OS.

That's a whole other story.

From an OS perspective, the only OS Windows is superior to is DOS.

The only advantage Windows has is that most users are pretty used to it.

Android and iOS will require some time to get used to, but it's far from rocket science.

After initial adaptation, they are both vastly superior to Windows.

Come to 2014, things have progressed a lot. First off, Windows has a single architecture. So create an app and it's usable on any windows device; but not only that, but it doesn't need to come from the Windows store in order to work on any Windows device. Tablets, PC's, phones, it's all the same from a development perspective. Secondly, Microsoft is currently in the works to create a compilation system that allows it to compile once and it will not only work on all Windows devices, but also output an iOS version, and an Android version. This will be released within the next year for general consumption. Neither Android or iOS can do that. Heck, iOS can't even do something as simple as run their apps natively on Mac without a simulator because they decided that two architectures would be easier to support when iOS first came out. And they were right for a long time, however it may be the decision that ends up their downfall in the end. Windows is right now, by far the best architecture of the 3 because of their most recent decisions to wait to join the tablet/phone market until their OS could support it. Lastly, Cortana outshines Siri in almost every way as she understands context and the voice recognition is done in the cloud and uses complex Machine Learning algorithms to constantly keep it up to date w/out any kind of software updates.

Archived