how can they not do the Manderly sub plot

RSMITTY7640

If you haven't seen it check what D and D said about Stannis at SDCC. They complimented the character and Stephen Dillane and said he'd be in s5 more than he'd been in previous seasons. So, no hate. (If you were being sarcastic, disregard my interjection).

While I do agree with most of the posts about how they could excise the Manderly plot and/or family from the show, as in it could be done and I could imagine how they'd do it and why, on a personal level I really hope they manage to work it in, it's one of my favorite parts of Dance. With that in mind, here are two things I noticed that might give us Manderly fans cause for hope:

-first there's this

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34600000/wendel-manderly-house-stark-34650879-927-517.jpg

To those who can't/don't want to look it's an unnamed actor, I assume just an extra, hanging out at The Red Wedding before everything goes crazy in S3E9 (obviously). As far as I know it's never been specified but without a doubt it's a Manderly, he's got the sigil and while he's only on screen for a bare moment it's pretty clear, and I don't think it's too far gone to assume it's Ser Wendel. It might be just a tease, and D&D might have stuck it in there just so they would have the possibility of bringing the Manderlys in, true, but it's cause for scant hope.

-second in the S3 Blu Ray special feature "History And Lore" in the "The North" section House Manderly is directly mentioned and gets what I consider to be a fairly comprehensive description, especially for a House who has no current presence in the show (I don't think they've even been mentioned). In this particular section there's more said about them than the Mormonts, Karstarks, Umbers and Boltons so I think that's a pretty good sign.

Neither of these mean anything directly, and let's face it nothing means anything till the show actually airs, but I'd say it's at least grounds for optimism.

The thing is, there is absolutely no reason to include the Manderlys.

The only people who know about Rickon (and are not currently lost beyond the Wall) are Osha, Rickon, and ...the Umbers. No Manderlys involved.

And why do people even assume that Davos will be sent to Skagos? Unless the Umbers send Rickon to hide there, that is. No, I'm pretty sure things will play out as follows:

Davos will be sent by Stannis to treat with the Umbers. At the Last Hearth he will discover Rickon and procede with whatever he'll do in TWOW.

Am I the only person who wants to bring to light the cinematic gold that is the interaction between Davos/Manderly/Freys? You have an opportunity to not only show the blatant uselessness of any Frey around, but the wit and grandeur of a player of the game who has been around as long as Tywin(#twofat). In my opinion that scene is one of the most cinematic moments in Dance.

I can go on if requested.

Young Biff you are not alone.

I have posted ad nauseum for as long as I remember praying for the same thing.

And the Watchers on the Wall website had a "whom do you most want to see from the books in season 5?" poll going for 3 months and Manderly won by a large margin, and he did so against the likes of the Greyjoys, Martells, Young Griff etc.

Maybe they just showed Manderly at the RW on the show as an indicationto us readers that that subplot was absolutely NOT gonna happen, seeing as the Manderys died at the RW à la 'we're killing off this subplot'?

At the time when they were making season 3, they probably thought there would be Manderlys in season 5. But the plan could have changed subsequently. There must be a plan to portray a Manderly-like character though.

Young Biff you are not alone.

I have posted ad nauseum for as long as I remember praying for the same thing.

And the Watchers on the Wall website had a "whom do you most want to see from the books in season 5?" poll going for 3 months and Manderly won by a large margin, and he did so against the likes of the Greyjoys, Martells, Young Griff etc.

I would be disappointed if Manderly is not in it as he is an awesome character and he requires very little additional time (unlike virtually every other new character in AFFC/ADWD ). He interacts with existing characters and appears, for the most part, in locations we will see anyway.

Dany4Eva, if Manderly and the Northern plot is what you consider insignificant, than they really should have just cut about three books worth of Dany's material.

He should of cut a lot of her filler. But in the grand scheme of things, the manderwhatevers can be cut completely with zero impact to the central story line.

Dany would have less filler if George didn't waste time on insignificant characters and going off on a tangent.

I don't disagree too much there but Manderly is the best thing about ADWD by far. It's the biggest fuck yeah moment in the books. The bit where you remember the Starks. Where you get a bit of hope back for them.

I don't disagree too much there but Manderly is the best thing about ADWD by far. It's the biggest fuck yeah moment in the books. The bit where you remember the Starks. Where you get a bit of hope back for them.

I honestly don't remember the random northern men filler. I did read the book years ago though :dunno:. I think the biggest fuck yeah moment for the Starks is the LSH reveal

Archived