Two job offers at once. Need help urgently.

Mormont'sRaven

OK here's the story:

I'm an intern at a website. Let's call it Site A.

At the end of the internship (3 months), they said they didn't have any jobs but would love to keep me as an unpaid intern (lol). They asked me if I had any plans. I told them I had an interview with this other website, Site B. They said cool and that they'd reach out to me if a position opened up.

About a week or two later (which was yesterday), I interview with Site B. It goes really well. A bunch of Site B people follow me on Twitter, and then I get an email asking for references. They said they'd let me know by Friday afternoon.

BUT THEN I got an email from Site A saying they were doing to hire a new person soon and asking if I were interested. I told them I was but explained the situation (I had to as my boss here was one of the references I gave; I couldn't not tell them).

They said to "Just do you" and that I'd hear more in the next week or so. They said they weren't sure what the hiring process would look like or how quickly they wanted to fill the position.

So I'm kind of at a loss with what to do here.

Site A's benefits: It's a social media job at a media site so I wouldn't have to write the aggregation pieces and could only focus on writing stuff I want while managing the social media. It's more prestigious than Site B. It allows telecommuting and even if I had to commute, it's about 30 mins of a smaller commute.

Site B's benefits: It has a much more vibrant and stronger culture. It has a lot more money. I would actually be part of the editorial team as opposed to the social media team. Despite having less prestige, it's a tighter operation. However, site B's job is a "fellowship" (a 2 month trial that generally turns into a job at the end). Though I've never seen them not hire a fellow before.

I'm really, really, really torn. I don't know what to do. I don't want to burn my bridges with either side. I don't want to disappoint anyone either.

I'm just terrified that I'll wind up somehow not getting either job. Like if Site A still hasn't gotten their shit together after Site B has an offer, I don't want to blowoff site B only for Site A to decide they're not opening up a position after all.

I'm sorry I always make advice threads on here but I don't have anyone to ask IRL.

Thanks so much.

I've been a corporate recruiter for the last 10 years so i can help here.

1. You dont have an offer in hand yet so settle down.

2. If you get an offer it is customary to ask for some time to review paperwork to make a decision. In general if you get the paperwork in hand by Monday/Tuesday you would typically ask them if you can review and get back to them with a final decision by Friday. If you get paperwork Wed/Thu/Fri ask for the following Monday or Tuesday. If you need more time then use the school card. A lot of school advise companies to give students until Nov 15th to make a decision on offers for exactly the scenario you are describing. Once you are in the job market you'll need to be able to make decisions within 72 hours to a week. For students they need more time so they can review a couple of offers. If either of these companies put a gun to your head and dont give you reasonable time to make a decision then it is a big red flag.

3. The company will want to take your temperature. I typically ask my candidates what message can i give back to the manager regarding their impression of the offer. Be honest but keep it positive even if you are likely to decline one of the offers.

Site B sounds a little better due to money but having experience at Site A would make the transition easy. BTW - if either of these jobs are at Buzzfeed then run the other way!

Knowing nothing about the social media business, Job B sounds more substantial. A chance to do some actual work other than just gathering and regurgitating. Job B would give you a broader experience and let you learn some skills that might be transferable to other jobs. Like I said, I know nothing about the details of the business and may be completely wrong, but learning new skills and broadening your horizons is always a good move, IMO. Things change and the more versatile you are, the more valuable you are to an employer. I don't mean take a job you will hate to get that experience, but look for ways to expand yourself.

Also, a job offer in had is nothing to sneeze at. I always assume that unless an employer puts the paperwork in your hand, promises and vague encouragement is most often bullshit. I learned that (thankfully) early with the most two-faced boss you can imagine. She wasn't subtle about it and even her best friend was amazed at the shit coming out of her mouth and was disgusted.

Once you do get a firm offer from B, you can always go to A and say, listen, I really want to work here, but can't stay unless I get something solid by this date. If it doesn't materialize, then walk away. You've been upfront with A all the way and I don't see how that is burning bridges. Maybe an immediate opportunity that may or may not arise, but that doesn't mean you can't take advantage of another opportunity at A when the time is right.

And fuck prestige.

If B gives you an actual offer, tell them you need a certain amount of time to think about it. Up to a week. Then go back to A and tell them about the offer from B and your timeframe. They will either tell you good luck or will move you along the process.

By the time your deadline comes around, give B an answer either way (don't ask for more time at that point).

And I would recommend taking an actual offer over the possibility of an offer any day. But in case you do find yourself with two actual offers, then you can worry about making a decision.

If they make you an offer they are interested enough to hear that you need some time to review their terms and discuss it with loved ones. Seriously, even when people refuse the first offer, it's not unheard of for companies to just make a better offer.

Don't be so afraid, when you get an offer, the people hiring you actually want you to work for them.

You don't even have to explain it to them. If they extend an offer, just say "Thank you, may I have X days to consider?" But it isn't a bad thing to tell them that you have another interested party, if you want to.

I was in this situation two months ago. I went to two interviews on a Friday--on Monday one of the companies called to give me an offer. I wanted to see what the other company had to offer, so I told them I would have an answer by Friday. I explained that I had an offer on the table to the other company, and they expedited me through my second, on-site interview. But they weren't going to make a decision about who to hire for another couple weeks, so I said thanks and withdrew myself from consideration. Called back the first company on Friday morning and accepted the offer, and they actually had increased the salary offer by $2k without me even asking.

Point being, just relax and be professional and honest with both companies. I understand that you're nervous (this was my first job hunt so I was!!), but people aren't all out to get you and if they're offering, they want you!

With years of work experience behind me, I vote for B. A tighter organization is much easier to work for than one that cannot get around to actually making up their mind when and if to hire you. Following the money never hurts either.

Archived