Targaryen information

Arataniello

A family tree for the Blackfyres, from Daemon to Maelys, would also be interesting, as well as Bittersteel's descendants if he had any, although that might be spoilerish if they are still part of the Golden Company.

I second this. Also add Bloodraven. It would also be interesting to know more of the history of the females that birthed them and their lineage.

BH

I second this. Also add Bloodraven. It would also be interesting to know more of the history of the females that birthed them and their lineage.

BH

Along these lines It'd be nice to have a complete list of ALL Aegon's legitimized bastards not just the big four and where they stood in the Rebellion.

We discussed having reasonably-sized sections for each Targaryen king. So if there's a page or two on Aegon, I would certainly expect many of his bastards (those he knew about and acknowledged, anyways) will get some mention, though they won't necessarily get so far as to having distinct names or histories unless GRRM created those.

We know Visenya handled significant tasks (she's the one who won the Crackclaw Point houses to their cause), although it was couched in the terms of Aegon sending her to them...

If there's more info, we'll definitely be putting it in in the section dealing with Aegon and his sisters.

Okay, a couple of extra points here.

First, I am presuming that the information that you have on Westeros.org is going to serve as the general base of information for starting off with. Secondly, do you happen to know how accurate the information is on Wikipedia.com regarding the heading House Targaryen? The information that I found there just today had various pieces of information that I still did not have even after all of this time. Which, naturally, lead to some more questions. Of course.

The entry said that a Great Council passed over Aerion Brightflame's infant son, as well as his older brother Dareon the Drunkard's idiot daughter, in favor of Aegon V, the Unlikely. Now, I realize that the process of succession has not always been a smooth road, given the previous Dance of the Dragons that occurred between Rhaenyra and Aegon II. But, while I can understand the council's passing over the idiot daughter for the reasons of both being female and unfortunately mentally retarded, what was the major concern with Aerion's bastard son?

I understand that he was a bastard, which is a major strike against him. And probably would have been enough on it's own. But the argument that the council was afraid that his father's insanity would somehow have been more prevalent to be passed down to him seems specious. Aerion was the brother to Aemon, and look at the contrast there. If brothers could be so different, why couldn't son from father?

I realize that eventually, how far down each branch of a specific family tree needs to be decided; where you say that knowing great-Aunt Gertrude's sixth removed progeny just isn't important any more. BUT. With that in mind, what are the odds of either of these two aforementioned progeny having successfully continued the Targ line in some way?

In the previously mentioned Wikipedia entry, it is mentioned that Shiera Seastar is the daughter of Aegon the Unworthy and the ninth and last of his mistresses, Lady Serenei of Lys. Obviously, learning who the other eight mistresses were and their progeny is something of interest to me. I know of one other, the sixth, Mylessa Blackwood, mother of Brynden Rivers. I need to double check to see if Aegor's mother is mentioned.....and does Daena the Defiant count as one of them?

Okay, other than reminding me that Bittersteel's real name was Aegor Rivers, no mention of his mother is found in the Wikipedia stuff that I found. So add that to the endless details about which I will dwell.....

The entry said that a Great Council passed over Aerion Brightflame's infant son, as well as his older brother Dareon the Drunkard's idiot daughter, in favor of Aegon V, the Unlikely.

That information is from ACoK, in Jon's first chapter. From there, the major concern with the son (who, as far as I recall, is never said to be a bastard -- just an infant) is that Aerion Brightflame was mad as a hatter and no one really wanted to see if his son was any better (much the reason why Barristan says that Viserys wasn't worth following).

See here for information on the Great Bastards. Aegor Rivers's mother was Barba Bracken, Aegon's fifth mistress.

As to whether Daena the Defiant will count as a mistress, not really sure. We'll see what we find out as we work on the book. :) GRRM did mention that information on the mistresses would probably be in the works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's down. Amok is doing what he can for it, but I'm understanding his Livejournal entry about it properly (it's in Russian, so I have to use the less-than-spectacular Babelfish), the host does not seem to be able to do anything and because Amok didn't register the domain(s) himself -- an acquaintance did it for him -- he isn't able to move the domaisn somewhere else. Said acquaintance is not available, or is not moving very quickly, or something.

Something like that, anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't looked through all the topics yet as I have just logged on after months ithout internet connection so this is the first I've heard of this. Is this book supposed to be coming out after ADWD and how big is it supposed to be? It sounds pretty big anyway.

It'll be roughly 300 pages in length, according to the last discussions we had, but that may have changed a bit in either direction following George's meeting with Bantam in the previous week or so (don't know the details of that yet).

It would definitely come out after ADwD, yes, though by how long a timeframe, we're not sure. I'm thinking it's not likely to be feasible for a 2007 release given some of the commissioned art that we had in mind, but then who knows? But I suspect a 2008 release is likelier. We may have a better idea in the coming weeks.

Guest Other-in-law
I'd say a Blackfyre family tree is very unlikely.

Whyso? Because of spoiler content, or unnecessarily deep backstory, or some other reason? It should only be a generation or three between Daemon and Maelys, so it shouldn't be all that difficult should it?

Archived