Trial by Folly: The Arianne Martell Reread Project [TWOW Arianne I spoilers]

Chebyshov

Well this sounds like a subtle hint :P

<snip>

It was a "subtle" hint!

Amazing work on that :bowdown: . I'm glad to see that it lands around 2 months (maybe 2 months and a week at most) rather than 3. The thought of Doran letting Arianne starve for 2 full months didn't really sit right with me.

Oh, and we also have a day of travel from wherever the pole-boat was to Spear Tower, don't we? Which gives Balon a day "jump" on this.

Hmm great job on the analysis, and it made me really doubt about Arianne possibly wanting to marry Aegon for selfish reasons, but I'm still not 100% convinced. It all depends on how you interpret her poor vision of Quentyn, and reminiscings of Dany and the parallels between the two.

Guess we'll see how it all turns out in the next book!

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Arianne turns out to act the way you predict and want her to.

Hmm great job on the analysis, and it made me really doubt about Arianne possibly wanting to marry Aegon for selfish reasons, but I'm still not 100% convinced. It all depends on how you interpret her poor vision of Quentyn, and reminiscings of Dany and the parallels between the two.

Guess we'll see how it all turns out in the next book!

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Arianne turns out to act the way you predict and want her to.

:cheers:

We can certainly agree to leave it here; there is definitely interpretation of her characterization that went into our read of the situation, though I do find the conclusions consistent with everything we've seen from her...form her internalized guilt to her dominating desire to please Doran.

Anyway, as I said, nothing's a foregone conclusion in her plot at all, which is what makes TWOW so exciting/terrifying! Seriously. I might need ambien to survive it :uhoh: .

• 2 months later...

Princess Arianne Nymeros Martell: A Retrospective

A Character Summary based on the Trial by Folly Reread Project

<snip>

sooo... it took me pretty much a full day to read this (though admittedly in between writing on my own Theon reread) but it was totally worth it! very interesting, I suddenly have a much better understanding of a character I hadn't given much thought. I will probably reread her chapters (and the ones she appeared in) in the following days and maybe come back to join the discussion, because right now I have nothing to add, but I might after rereading. Thanks for the amazing analysis and cudos to everyone who participated.

Archived