October Reading Thread 2014 - Boo!

RedEyedGhost

I finished Shogun finally in 15 days, and before exam period in college.

What an awesome book, I recommend it to everyone.

I really thought Anji-san and Mariko would be together, or after she died he would have gone back to England, guess not. I still don't know if I like Toronaga's idea of keeping Blackthorne or if Toronaga is a bitch for doing that. My feelings are so confused after finishing this book

I think Toronaga is a horrible person for keeping Blackthorne trapped in Japan, and that he's brilliant for doing it.

If you have the time google "learning from shogun" and browse the pdf file that should be the first result.

Halfway through Dreadful Tales. While it's not the worst Laymon book I've read, his obsession with naked, vulnerable young women and arsehole young men who take advantage of them can get pretty tedious. Every other short story in this collection has that kind of theme in it. And some of the others are pretty rubbish too.

There is one thing I've been able to read. The Little Prince. Its been a favorite of mine for years and I thought I might be able to break my GoT addiction if I started with something small. So....yeah. Great book, still love it, now I'm back to a storm of swords for the uh.......7th time?

Finished the "Dangerous Women" anthology. I started this one about 10 months ago, read Martin´s story and was rather disappointed. Then a lot of bad reviews started to come in and I stopped reading. That was a mistake, cause all in all this is a really good collection of short stories. I especially loved Sanderson´s and Hobb´s contributions. And then there´s the Emberverse, The Wild Cards Universe, some of Jim Butcher, some of Abercrombie ...

I received Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. I don't remember asking for a review copy, but it's turned out to be a brilliant surprise. I'm hooked. I've never read anything by Sanderson before, but I think I shall have to after this.

I finished Laymon's Dreadful Tales. 2 stars. My sister in law has lent me Stephen King's It and The Shining for Halloween reading, but I'm a bit of a wimp, and I haven't read any of King's work for years.

I finished Anna of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery. It is a cute and charming story. I think I would have adored them if I had read these a child.

I am now reading 360 Degrees Longitude by John Higham. It is about a family taking a year off to bike around the world.

Fuck, finally finished Crime and Punishment this afternoon. Took me forever to slog through it. Not sure how I feel about it other than the translation was pretty shoddy in some sections and Dostoevsky sometimes took forever to get to the point.

Since its October, I'm debating starting up something vaguely horror-themed. Dracula is staring at me, unread, from my Kindle so I might tackle that next.

I thankfully finished The Catcher in the Rye yesterday during lunch, I hated Holden Caulfield and couldn't see why this book has so much hype.

I started reading Wyrd Sisters right after finishing Rye, glad to be back on the Disc.

Year-long reading update:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I'm through Sonnet CXXXI.

I think Toronaga is a horrible person for keeping Blackthorne trapped in Japan, and that he's brilliant for doing it.

If you have the time google "learning from shogun" and browse the pdf file that should be the first result.

Thank you RedEyeGhost-san, I've downloaded it and will read it ASAP.

And since this topic if what you're reading this month, I better get on topic right.

So this month I'm reading The Hobbit, House of Leaves on ebook (good idea? It's the only way I can get it in Brazil) or I'll try to read Those Across the River.

Also I really loved Shogun, Warlord Chronicles so it seems I got a thing for these kinda real fiction or based on real events kinda thing, do you guys recommend anything like that?

Also I really loved Shogun, Warlord Chronicles so it seems I got a thing for these kinda real fiction or based on real events kinda thing, do you guys recommend anything like that?

The two authors of those books have several other excellent historical fictions. Start there. Read Tai Pan next.

My three favourite authors in historical fiction are Bernard Cornwell, Patrick O'Brian and Umberto Eco.

On topic: Finished Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire, now I'm gonna stuff some knowledge-holes and start reading King's The Shining.

Finally finished Kameron Hurley's The Mirror Empire. It was good. Not great. Which was disappointing, because I wanted to LOVE it, but I only liked it. Basically for me it boiled down to weak characters, poor plotting, and an over-reliance on worldbuilding. I felt like this novel exists basically to show off the worldbuilding and not for the story/characters, which makes it really hard to engage over the length of the novel. Still, it was entertaining and the worldbuilding was, for the most part, awesome, so I'll definitely continue with the series. Just disappointing. (Also, rape. Blah. Not a fan of that.)

Not sure what I am going to read next. I am leaning towards re-reading The Magicians and The Magician King to prep for reading The Magician's Land, which has been waiting patiently on my shelf (yes, I have an actual physical copy!).

Breezed through City of Stairs. It was every bit as good as advertised. Rich history, great characters - Sigrud was my absolute favorite; one of the more memorable and enjoyable characters I've read in quite some time. There are some obvious parallels and cool similarities with Sigrud and Logen Nine-fingers of the First Law Trilogy. The book is written in the present tense, which through me off a bit in the first couple pages; but once adjusted I didn't even notice it afterwards. Now to figure out what to read next...

So this month I'm reading The Hobbit, House of Leaves on ebook (good idea? It's the only way I can get it in Brazil) or I'll try to read Those Across the River.

Just a response on House of Leaves as an ebook... I imagine you'd lose something pretty significant by reading it that way. A lot of it is designed around the page layout, and I can't imagine it successfully translating to an ereader without some issues. Could be wrong, of course, but a paper edition would be the way I'd head despite the hassle of obtaining one for you.

I usually buy books from Book Depository, they've never failed me <3. Free shipping, and you can find pretty much any book you want. Shipping to Argentina takes anything between ten days and five weeks, I guess it's the same for Brazil.

I finished 360 Degrees Longitude by John Higham. I have read better travelogues, but at the same time I admired the parents for taking their children on a year long trip and experiencing all the trials and tribulations of their journey. Overall, it was an okay read. Entertaining but forgettable.
Up next is The Barrow by Mark Smylie. I've heard different opinions about this book on this board.

Archived