Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

I canceled it the day after the last episode. I'll reorder the day before it starts.

I think I'm going to wait to reorder until season 2 starts in August. That way I'll just catch up on the second half of season 1 on-demand and then continue watching season 2.

Sounds cheap, I know, but I'm already getting HBO this April for Game of Thrones.

• 1 month later...

FYI if you all don't already know -- the first half of the season is available on netfilx dvd. They are supposed to arrive in my mailbox to day. I hope. Haven't gone to look yet, in case I'm disappointed by non-arrival. :)

Did you guys know that it is perfectly acceptable and legal to call your cable provider the day a show airs and add a channel, and then call back after it has aired to cancel? They only charge a prorated fee of one day for that.

I discovered this when the cable company wanted $10 a month for the Red Zone channel that only shows for 7 hours on Sunday.

Did you guys know that it is perfectly acceptable and legal to call your cable provider the day a show airs and add a channel, and then call back after it has aired to cancel? They only charge a prorated fee of one day for that.

I discovered this when the cable company wanted $10 a month for the Red Zone channel that only shows for 7 hours on Sunday.

Unfortunately, we don't have such holes in this part of the world... And we resort to somewhat less right of obtaining the good old US TV :)

DVD extra on Jamie:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Outlander-DVD-Extra-About-Sam-Heughan-Casting-36975649

Gonna pick up the DVDs, too. I watched the first half of the season again after reading the book, and they really did a nice job with the adaptation.

Yah, they have, at least so far. I watched the first 4 episodes late yesterday afternoon and last night. I haven't watched that much in one sitting since Buffy! It was nearly 4 hours. I did stop to make dinner and eat it with My Person though. :)

The sort of mild snowstorm we're experiencing today started yesterday as freezing rain and sleet, so you all can imagine how happy I am to have nearly 8 hours of Outlander to watch.

All the discussion by people more than annoyed with the voice-overs: I wouldn't have even noticed it particularly except for the discussion. I have not troubles with it at all. For me it works very effectively -- and non-obtrusively -- for covering a lot more ground of character and event than would have been the case without using this device, for a story as long and complex as Outlander is.

I did watch the premiere streaming when Starz had it up for free. And again, it strikes so strongly how the authority of a triage battle field head nurse runs up against the 18th century convictions (socially, religiously and legally) about how women are to behave. That Clare, so soon after war's end, is still in authority mode, and keeps forgetting to keep her head down, is entirely plausible, to me, at least.

One other thing: I'm not this sort of woman generally, but when it comes to men wearing kilts, I think they are so very attractive. Why? Is it because I find the full kilt kit a very attractive sartorial mode? Men in their full dress kilts for ceremonies and so on have always appeared attractive to me. But why? The things we chose to worry about during a (mild) snowstorm! :)

I don't mind the voiceovers, either, I got used to it. And I think I would miss them now.

Kilts, never cared for them before, but they work here. I love the costumes in this show, the ladies dresses are so nice, everything is done really well, I think.

I also really appreciate how the show keeps showing Frank in Clare's mind, and how she misses him.

That she can be in love with two men, in two different eras, at the same time, becomes more and more plausible as time goes on. Which makes Clare -- and both Jamie and Frank -- more complex and interesting too. We care about all three of them. I love the way Clare thinks of how Frank must be hurting and frustrated and crazy from her disappearance. She does think of others, not just herself. She can identify with them. All three of these characters are good people. Not perfect people because nobody is, but they are good.

The Wedding!

They did it right!

No ripping of the clothes!

Talking!

Gads this episode is as good as the novel's depiction, which is what caught me, as a reader in the first place

Alas. The second dvd from netflix, at the very counrterpoint at the very end of the episode, went SPLAH!

On the topic of the voice-over I'd like to say that I'm firmly in the camp of less = more. Pretty much every single scene where it was used would have been better without it. Especially that stupid vase scene in episode one. Caitriona Balfe's acting alone said more than a thousand mumbling voice-over in that scene.

Nice :) although, I do think it ran a bit short no? The showrunner was still talking and the nit just stopped.

Yah, it just quits. Argh.

"The Wedding" episode was pure heaven.

That the two of them talk talk talk before consumating the marriage was so right and believable, you see them already weaving the bonds of devotion, love and loyalty together -- and you do believe these two are worthy of each other. Sex that is tender and full of love -- does television not show this but instead either hard and furious -- which isn't (necessarily) love-making? Or else just cold lust or rape?

Also, when it comes to the blood and violence, we have at least as much of this on Outlander as any of the grimdark fighting fantasies. But what we see is the blood and violence of attempting to fix the wounds and the maiming, the attempts to save lives after a pounding all meant to take lives. And Claire is there, up to her elbows in the blood. Though . . . I do wonder how her sleeves never get messed up, even when she setting dyed cloth with urine? :)

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of the voice-over I'd like to say that I'm firmly in the camp of less = more. Pretty much every single scene where it was used would have been better without it. Especially that stupid vase scene in episode one. Caitriona Balfe's acting alone said more than a thousand mumbling voice-over in that scene.

Nice :) although, I do think it ran a bit short no? The showrunner was still talking and the nit just stopped.

I know, I thought they were going to get more into it. I would be nice if they didn't for the other cast members.

Completely unrelated but I cand believe that Diana Gabaldon is 63 years old, she looks like she's 40! Great genes.

Archived