Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

19 minutes ago, farerb said:

It bothers me that every French they have encountered is a French stereotype caricature and not an actual person.

Maitre Raymond is the only French character who hasn't been.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Yeah, perhaps I should rephrase what I wrote about Hawkins.  The most interesting plot twist this latest episode was Hawkins rape and what it means for Frank. Or was that Blackjack and Frank is fine?

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on with Claire, not to mention the whole 'ends justify the means' ideal in which she and Jamie are currently operating.  They are trying to change the future and yet at the same time Claire is mocking the idea of a French/English alliance because she knows for certain when it happens.  If she thinks she can change the future, then certainly she must think all the future can be adjusted and changed.  Just their presence in France, specifically to work on future changing, has resulted in Mary's future being sent down a different path, one that is now more likely to lead to Frank.  

Their conversation about them not being bad because they are doing all this for so-called good reasons feels quite nauseating with the whole "the show must go on" act when clearly it would have been in Mary's best interest to either cancel the dinner party or to at least have Claire bow out. She could have easily used pregnancy as an excuse.  

Now that they see their work has resulted in making Mary's future closer to the one that Claire knows, I'd hope they sit down and question whether or not they are doing more harm than good, no matter their intentions.  

Not to mention her using Louise's pregnancy to her and Jaime's advantage with no regard to the consequences for Louise and her husband. No surprise we're seeing Jaime play chess every episode. Everyone is quickly becoming a pawn for Jaime and Claire.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:50 PM, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Yeah, to each their own. I did enjoy some GOT breasts, but I'm not enjoying Cait's that much.

It was more a statement that we can't divide things into male and female things/shows etc. Many people think that GoT is pervasively for male audience, but female audience makes for 48%.

16 hours ago, farerb said:

It bothers me that every French they have encountered is a French stereotype caricature and not an actual person.

Yeap... They are over-caricatured... They seem to be fresh from some Moliere's comedy.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/outlander-rosie-day-rape-culture.html

Let's talk about what this rape means for Mary, in this time and place.
She's a soiled woman. Soiled goods. You're just done, even though it's absolutely not the woman's fault in any way, shape, or form. Awful. I mean, still, in today's society, there are countries where they think that. In the Middle East, you actually get punished for being raped. One woman was sentenced to 400 lashes. How can you justify that?

And for Mary, this could jeopardize her arranged marriage. "If she's been violated, her reputation will be ruined," Jamie points out. "She'll be a spinster until the end of her days." Although even the fact that her marriage was arranged ...
It's terrible how that happened, and it's good that they're highlighting it and showing it. I don't think Claire can get her head around this at first, at how awful this is, and how young Mary is. I mean, she's like 15! This is the age where they were sold off and sentenced to the life of marriage and just having to have lots of children to provide an heir, which is awful when you think about it. Appalling. But historically accurate. A lot of people are ignorant of these things because you're not taught about women's history at school. They kind of rush over the hardships that women had to endure, so I think raising awareness and bringing it to the forefront of people's minds is quite important. I hope people will watch this and be outraged, at all of it. How did women survive?

We talk about it on set all the time. Even just how women were seen as being kind of hysterical, always fainting, when it's because they had to wear corsets and dresses so heavy that you can't breathe in them. It's really, really difficult, and we're doing it like they did it. They showed us a picture of what corsets do to your organs, crushing them, and I'm like, "Oh my God, not good." I'm not going to be doing any of that weird waist-training craze to try to make your waist so tiny. I don't know why women do that on their own. It's so barbaric.

48 minutes ago, Risto said:

It was more a statement that we can't divide things into male and female things/shows etc. Many people think that GoT is pervasively for male audience, but female audience makes for 48%.

yeah yeah yeah, admit you wanted to see dropped kilts.

So, this episode could be renamed to "Jaime's bee tries honeypotting and he's later grateful Claire doesn't own a gun".

Outlander also belongs to what I know as "picaresco". Sassy is the most literal translation, but it's not accurate. It's more like this French tv show called Série rose, an anthology of erotic stories with a bit of comedy. "Libertine" is a more accurate name. It's ok things are clichés and stereotype, it's part of the joke on that specific part of the narrative: the contrast between the more "wild" sex between Claire and Jaime and how the French court is so pompous and adorned even between sheets.

(I've stopped reading Vulture, Mic, Gawker, The Mary Sue and similar like a year ago... it's the same bunch of buzzwords repeated once and again and reordered to fit whatever they are reviewing.)

3 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

yeah yeah yeah, admit you wanted to see dropped kilts.

You got me... :)

3 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

So, this episode could be renamed to "Jaime's bee tries honeypotting and he's later grateful Claire doesn't own a gun".

We need a picture...

http://cliparts.co/cliparts/Xpi/oyK/XpioyKbcE.jpg

1 minute ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Ok, I didn't expect that xD

You talk so much about honeypots and honeypotting, you want to tell me that you haven't thought of it? :)

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I like this show.... they don't make it easy to watch.... the sets and costumes are top notch.... truly beautiful.... but they counter-balance it with the graphic, bloody horror of child birth --that overhead shot of Claire on the birthing table was not for the faint-of-heart-- ... and then there's the rape.... child rape .... and BDSM rape.... and dead babies

It's  so easy to get lured in... and then devastated....  Don't get me wrong.... it's one of the things I love about this show.... and I fall for it every time... but holy cow.... they ain't playin' around....

Life is filled with this stuff, which is, well, how we are in it.  The alternative is, well, you know. But, woo, this series is intense as well as tense.

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht made a startling announcement this week: He's moving the cable channel's original programming from Saturday to Sunday nights, starting in July with Power. That means that season 3 of Outlander — yes, yes it's going to happen! — would go up against the likes of Game of Thrones on HBO and Homeland on Showtime. In other words, Starz is taking on the cable big boys. Move over Jon Snow. Jamie Fraser is coming to town.

1 hour ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht made a startling announcement this week: He's moving the cable channel's original programming from Saturday to Sunday nights, starting in July with Power. That means that season 3 of Outlander — yes, yes it's going to happen! — would go up against the likes of Game of Thrones on HBO and Homeland on Showtime. In other words, Starz is taking on the cable big boys. Move over Jon Snow. Jamie Fraser is coming to town.

Unless they separate the third season in two parts and move it, Outlander won't go against Homeland. But, yeah, going against GoT would be interesting to see. It is most definitely a bold move.

As for last season, I feel as if they overplayed the sex on the French court. The French court was so interesting place throughout the centuries and sex is just one of the many things that made it so interesting. They overplayed it, or Gabaldon did...

It was graphic and it was intense. It had its brilliant moments, but I just wish it didn't boil down to sex when it came to rescuing Jaime.

Yup, I had grown bored of the show.  The location is such a character in it's own right and I found very little of interest in Paris.  Being back in Scotland is such a joy.  I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't more breathing room at Lallybroch as I enjoyed things like the wool waulking last season or seeing the operating of the estate, though I suppose doing something similar would feel too much like retreading.  Knowing what's coming up in future boos and seasons, (serious book spoilers follow.  Seriously)

Spoiler

I wonder if other locales, specifically the 18th century America Fraser homestead, will feel as much like an enjoyable character as Scotland does.  The mountains of North Carolina are gorgeous so there is a good chance it could be.

It's hard to talk about some other scenes without getting more into spoilers so I think I'll leave it at that for now.  

Archived