Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

Yup, very excellent finale.  Looking forward to season 3 already.

The only thing that jarred me was the one voiceover.  It was so out of place as it was only Claire and seemed to firmly imply that the voiceovers had nothing to do with telling Bree and Roger the story and simply existed just to exist.  Rather annoying.  The only reason I argued in favor of the voiceovers is that I assumed the reveal would be she was telling this story to someone.  I think on rewatch, the voiceovers will not work so well knowing this isn't the case.

No cattle this year... Well, Marco Polo had it so @Veltigar can enjoy that :D

Overall, great episode with a lot of great moments and one inexplicable blunder. Seriously, he was so into counting days of her period? I have to say that is one devoted husband. It was nice seeing old face back and the new cast was rather good.

Satisfying finale... Looking forward to Season 3

Would there be some sort of reason a person couldn't keep track of their spouse's menstrual cycle?  In general, this thing happens once a month for most women.  I'm not sure I see anything of particular note about a couple having some awareness of one another's basic bodily functions, especially if they are also having sex.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Would there be some sort of reason a person couldn't keep track of their spouse's menstrual cycle?  In general, this thing happens once a month for most women.  I'm not sure I see anything of particular note about a couple having some awareness of one another's basic bodily functions, especially if they are also having sex.  

That came from the same guy that referred to his wife's vagina as "honeypot"... Of course there are no reasons for him not to do that, it is the question whether it is in character for him to do that. I am educated man in 21st century with great knowledge of bodily functions, both male and female, and I swear to you, never has it occurred to me to count the days to/from my partner's period and to know whether her period is punctual like Swiss clock. 

30 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I loved the finale...  completing the circle back to episode 1 of S2... introducing Brianna, tying up the loose ends in the 18th century...leaving just enough cliff hanger... Claire is heart stopping in any century

This was what struck me the most... Even playing the older woman, it comes so natural to Catriona Balfe... There is something timeless about her facial features and eyes. She is like Tolkien's description of Elves. Beautiful, of young face but with very wise eyes that have seen many days...

15 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

As if I needed more reasons not to watch Blando Polo :P 

Actually, this season is much, much better... Animal sequence was so cool :D

Just now, Risto said:

Actually, this season is much, much better... Animal sequence was so cool :D

When you multiply by zero, you still get a zero. I think I'll pass :P 

It's probably a good thing for expenses since Brexit will raise all the prices that Our Pro tags will be going to the New World in the next seasons.

As far as the question whether or not the male partner in a male-female close relationship would have a sense about her cycles -- well, most seem to.  It doesn't mean actually counting every single day, but having a sense of the rhythm of her body because they are close and they care and it matters in all sorts of way.

Very good finale. I must admit to being a bit distracted during the episode with how close a resemblance Sophie Skelton has to Anna Paquin. Having not read the novels, I loved the twists in this season finale. The cinematography is still my favorite aspect of this series and this episode blew me away. Those scenic shots. Beautiful! The tourism office should just show this series.

The thing is, in the books Claire's daughter, if I didn't exactly hate her, I sure didn't give a damn about her or like her.   really did hate what Gabaldon did with African slaves and their religions and all the other history in the Caribbean.  And by the time they hit the North American colonies I quit. QUIT.

Book 3 (Voyager) is good, too. 

Roberts: Season 3 is a swashbuckling, epic adventure laced with love. It's always a love story. That is the heart of Outlander. I wouldn't call it a romance; I'd call it a love story. All the adventures happen wrapped around that love story. There's sea battles. It's a really cool, fun story and all of the writers are all excited to do it

https://www.tvguide.com/news/outlander-season-2-finale-matt-roberts-toni-graphia-interview-voyager-preview/

40 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

:commie:About as much as attaching my balls to a car battery 

You have a lot of experience with that sort of thing Veltigar? :P 

I'm going to start watching season 2 tonight I think. I kind of liked season one but wasn't blown away, however I am willing to give this season a try at least.

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

As far as the question whether or not the male partner in a male-female close relationship would have a sense about her cycles -- well, most seem to.  It doesn't mean actually counting every single day, but having a sense of the rhythm of her body because they are close and they care and it matters in all sorts of way.

Yeah, this.  It's less about knowing the exact day and time one's partner's period is set to start each month and more about just generally knowing they have it once a month and being aware when they don't.  I mean, even roommates are likely to have a general idea of each other's basic bodily functions.  

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

The thing is, in the books Claire's daughter, if I didn't exactly hate her, I sure didn't give a damn about her or like her.   really did hate what Gabaldon did with African slaves and their religions and all the other history in the Caribbean.  And by the time they hit the North American colonies I quit. QUIT.

Mr. Willoughby was one of the most cringeworthy characters I ever read.  

But honestly, I really enjoyed everything about building up Fraser's Ridge.  I assume the show will improve upon the problems Gabaldon created.  

• 3 months later...

I've now watched the first 6 episodes of Outlander's season 2. I'm really liking it.  The costuming is breathtaking.  The actress is always breathtaking as well.  I love the entire cast.

I do have caveats, particularly in the episode that's central to one of the plot lines. One's coach is out of commission.  There's a dinner party that it is mandatory that Claire at least, and Mary too, be present to greet the very important guests.  And the best they come up with is WALKING home?  They don't even hire a chair and link boys, as it was getting dark. This was bad plotting.

Archived