Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

This is a form of post trauma from war that we don't get see hardly at all -- that of the people who take care of the soldiers.   This, and China Beach, are the only ones I can think of, off hand.

Gads, Sam Heughan is really as good as Balfe is.  That they are equals in filling and rounding these parts are fundamental to how well this is working -- because their characters are equals.

Being a backward walker in time, the temptation to play god is irresisitable.  But one ends up the god that failed . . . .

Heartbreaking.  So much better than the book (at least so far).

• 3 months later...

Outlander season 3 News:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/outlander-delays-season-3-premiere-to-september.html

Not until September and evidently ... South Africa is supposed to be a stand-in for Jamaica?  Having been both places I can say certainly that South Africa does not look at all Caribbean.

Nor did they go there in the book -- if I remember correctly that is.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Outlander season 3 News:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/outlander-delays-season-3-premiere-to-september.html

Not until September and evidently ... South Africa is supposed to be a stand-in for Jamaica?  Having been both places I can say certainly that South Africa does not look at all Caribbean.

Nor did they go there in the book -- if I remember correctly that is.

Black Sails was filmed there, too. So I'm not surprised, given it's the same network. And for someone like me who doesn't know any better, I think they did a great job with the location on Black Sails. What say you?

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Black Sails was filmed there, too. So I'm not surprised, given it's the same network. And for someone like me who doesn't know any better, I think they did a great job with the location on Black Sails. What say you?

Yep- Black Sails was filmed there and I honestly wouldn't know any better - looks great. 

September though?!? WTF :'( 

14 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yep- Black Sails was filmed there and I honestly wouldn't know any better - looks great. 

September though?!? WTF :'( 

Nassau isn't in the Caribbean though, and it's a very different landscape than Jamaica's -- which landscape plays a huge role in Jamaica's history, particularly that of piracy and slavery.

OTOH, the ways things are going right now, though South Africa has some serious problems and they're getting more serious, it's still likely much safer for television location shoot than Jamaica is currently.  Myself, if I were looking for a stand-in for Jamaica I'd pick Guadeloupe or Martinque.  But the UK is no longer in the Euro Zone? So maybe that is a problem? Everything is a lot more complicated -- it's a USian production, right? but shot in the UK?  I don't know how any of this works!

But Capetown isn't any less expensive than the islands.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

Maybe they'll be using the sets from Black Sails.

At least three if not four decades separate the eras of the two though -- and a lot of hurricanes would have torn down all of it between the Golden Age of Piracy and Culloden and then the Sassanach arriving in the Caribbean -- she arrives back in Scotland from the 1960's in 1785. A lot of the book is in Scotland before they head out again. Blow, blow, blow the man down!  

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

At least three if not four decades separate the eras of the two though -- and a lot of hurricanes would have torn down all of it between the Golden Age of Piracy and Culloden and then the Sassanach arriving in the Caribbean -- she arrives back in Scotland from the 1960's in 1785. A lot of the book is in Scotland before they head out again. Blow, blow, blow the man down!  

After my previous post I read an article or two mentioning Moore's interest in possibly using ships from Black Sails.

7 minutes ago, Astromech said:

After my previous post I read an article or two mentioning Moore's interest in possibly using ships from Black Sails.

Well!

Sea-worthy ships of different eras continued sailing as long as they could, that's for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Astromech said:

haha, it was more a joke, but, after the fist half of season 2 especially, I wouldn't consider this show amazing

I believe this is the most aesthetically pleasing show on TV right now. Yes, the show has its many problems. But it is beautifully acted and nicely produced TV show. Overall, there are many, many other TV shows that are considered better and yet fail in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/12/2017 at 2:34 AM, Risto said:

I believe this is the most aesthetically pleasing show on TV right now. Yes, the show has its many problems. But it is beautifully acted and nicely produced TV show. Overall, there are many, many other TV shows that are considered better and yet fail in comparison.

I agree... the costumes are remarkable... the scenery in France was spectacular.... and there is not one actor and/or character who makes me wince...  this is a top tier show.

• 1 month later...

Archived