Veltigar

Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

528 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Also... I would have loved to slap the snot out of that condescending Harvard jizzbucket 

Not to start a political debate here, but between that guy and the doctor teaching the anatomy class, I kept thinking Is this where we want to take America back?

Anyway, I do find the pacing slow, in the context of what we know from last season, but still it is great to see 18th century Scotland again, and I do feel sorry for Frank at this stage. I hope he doesn't turn into a douche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marriage between Frank and Claire continues to baffle and amaze me. I simply don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Not to start a political debate here, but between that guy and the doctor teaching the anatomy class, I kept thinking Is this where we want to take America back?

Anyway, I do find the pacing slow, in the context of what we know from last season, but still it is great to see 18th century Scotland again, and I do feel sorry for Frank at this stage. I hope he doesn't turn into a douche.

Tobias Menzies never plays a douche.

The episode was ok. Mainly the Scotland parts. Poor Fergus. I did get a bit of a chuckle at Frank and Claire's "look at me" love scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Risto said:

The marriage between Frank and Claire continues to baffle and amaze me. I simply don't get it. 

They were married before the war, and were promptly separated into their respective roles in the army...the show begins with them --after being fundamentally changed by the war-- trying to get re-acquainted with one another... The thing is, as baffling as their relationship seems to us now, we never knew the Claire and Frank who got married before the war

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Tobias Menzies never plays a douche.

The episode was ok. Mainly the Scotland parts. Poor Fergus. I did get a bit of a chuckle at Frank and Claire's "look at me" love scene.

Really? I have seen him in "The Night Manager", "Rome"... Wait, was that irony? Damn, I am stupid.

I had Harry Potter/Dumbledore kind of vibe :D 

47 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

They were married before the war, and were promptly separated into their respective roles in the army...the show begins with them --after being fundamentally changed by the war-- trying to get re-acquainted with one another... The thing is, as baffling as their relationship seems to us now, we never knew the Claire and Frank who got married before the war

Yes, I understand all of that. But, for the love of God, I have no idea WHY they are still together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Risto said:

Yes, I understand all of that. But, for the love of God, I have no idea WHY they are still together. 

Oh... now I understand your query.... beats the hell out of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Risto said:

Really? I have seen him in "The Night Manager", "Rome"... Wait, was that irony? Damn, I am stupid.

I had Harry Potter/Dumbledore kind of vibe :D 

Yes, I understand all of that. But, for the love of God, I have no idea WHY they are still together. 

Haha, I was thinking of his role as Edmure Tully on GOT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Latest episode was ok.  There was nothing really wrong with it.  It's still a beautiful show and as a book reader it was exciting to see some favorite passages come to the screen.  But the show just isn't as exciting when we already know where the path is taking us.  Part of me thinks much of what's going on here could happen in flashbacks so we can have more forward movement with the 'present' day story (I mean present day in the past?  In the future?  I don't know, but 20 years from where both Jamie and Claire are right now).  We already know Claire will be at the rocks again and that she'll likely go back and we know the basics of her life up to this point.  So going backwards to get back to that spot....it's a weird pacing choice.

I enjoyed the episode enough, and visually its really well done. I have a lot of empathy for Frank.

As you said it is a weird pacing choice. Vastly different from last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now