Doctor Who Series 8; The time of the man that stops the monsters (v2)

Jon's Queen Consort

Well, I havent watched enough of classic Who to judge the older Doctors so I cant really rank them, but my Doctor is 11 (Matt Smith)... not a very shared opinion I know, but in my eyes, he had it all... the emotions, the grandiose speeches, the burlesque, the contained anger... everything and he's the one that brought me to tears the most !

I've never seen the classic episodes, but for me:

War

It's not that I dislike Matt Smith. It's a very close race. :) I just really enjoyed Eccleston and wish he had a bit more time with it. But Tennant was straight pure amazing, and to me he *is* the Doctor.

I've only recently got my hands on the old-timey Doctor Who (not all of it, yet), and I've watched some of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. I have to say, I'm enjoying it immensely and I'm looking forward to eventually making my way through all of the old Doctor. 

As for favouritism, it's difficult to say. 

I love the fact that each of the incarnations have their own strengths, weaknesses and quirks. There are things about each of them I loved, and things I hated. 

That said, if pushed I might say that 11 was my favourite, with 10 a very close second and 9 and 12 a combined 3rd. 

I might come back in a while and change that opinion once I've watched all of the old-timey ones. 

If we had to start rating companions, however... I have very definite opinions then  :)

If we had to start rating companions, however... I have very definite opinions then  :)

Companions are hard because there have been so many over the years. I don't know if I could rank them, but a few of my favorites are:

--Jamie (2nd Doctor)

--The Brig (because he's the BRIG.)

--Jo Grant (3rd Doctor)

--Sarah Jane Smith (3rd but mostly 4th Doctor. I ADORE 4 and SJ)

--Romana II (though, that's largely because I think City of Death is one of the very best Doctor Who serials)

--Tegan (4 but mostly 5)

--Rose (10)

--Captain Jack (though, I find I liked him a lot more in Torchwood than in DW, especially the 3rd season of TW)

--Donna, Donna, Donna. Forever Donna Noble (10)

--I prefer Rory to Amy and I prefer both of them to Clara but I'd really like to see the next companion not be a contemporary earth woman.

I've only recently got my hands on the old-timey Doctor Who (not all of it, yet), and I've watched some of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. I have to say, I'm enjoying it immensely and I'm looking forward to eventually making my way through all of the old Doctor. 

I think that 7 is the most underappreciated Doctor.

If we had to start rating companions, however.

Good question! For me;

1. Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (I literally shed tears at RogueCyberBrigadier)
  2. Sarah-Jane Smith
  3. Susan Foreman
  4. Leela of the Sevateem
  5. Romanadvoratrelundar
  6. Dorothy  Ace Gale McShane.
  7. Jamie McCrimmon
  8. Tegan Jovanka
  9. Vislor Turlough
  10. Adric

Companions I really dislike: Rose, I really can't stand her, Martha, Jo, Peri and Nyssa.

I am guessing that the 'best' Doctor is the one by which you were introduced to the character.  That is why it will always be Tom Baker for me at number one. 

Also just because Tom Baker is THE Doctor--the definite article you might say.

I think that 7 is the most underappreciated Doctor.

1. Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (I literally shed tears at RogueCyberBrigadier)
  2. Sarah-Jane Smith
  3. Susan Foreman
  4. Leela of the Sevateem
  5. Romanadvoratrelundar
  6. Dorothy  Ace Gale McShane.
  7. Jamie McCrimmon
  8. Tegan Jovanka
  9. Vislor Turlough
  10. Adric

*sigh* Adric. *sigh*

Nyssa....drove me up a wall.

I am guessing that the 'best' Doctor is the one by which you were introduced to the character.  That is why it will always be Tom Baker for me at number one. 

I was introduced at the 4 as a child but as an adult I was reintroduced to 9, yet none of them is my fav.

*sigh* Adric. *sigh*

Nyssa....drove me up a wall.

I love Adric. I know that most people dislike him but for me he was really good. I would like to see what would happen if we have Adric with 12. 

Mother, mother  I feel sick. Send for the Doctor, quick, quick, quick. Mother, dear, shall I die? Yes, my darling, by and by.One, two, three, four...

Honestly if you didn't fall in love with Baker with his very first episode then I'm really at a loss. Let's revisit:

Regeneration Crazies

(also, Brig: "here we go again....")

Honestly if you didn't fall in love with Baker with his very first episode then I'm really at a loss. Let's revisit:

Regeneration Crazies

(also, Brig: "here we go again....")

"How can I prove my point? Let's challenge him in a jump rope tournament!"

"Can't I? Goodbye!"

and my fav part; "Haven't we met somewhere before? No, don't tell me. Alexander the Great? No. Hannibal? No. Ah! Brigadier. Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart. How are you?"

edit: A Viking, a King of Hearts, a Clown and the Doctor. 

"How can I prove my point? Let's challenge him in a jump rope tournament!"

"Can't I? Goodbye!"

and my fav part; "Haven't we met somewhere before? No, don't tell me. Alexander the Great? No. Hannibal? No. Ah! Brigadier. Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart. How are you?"

edit: A Viking, a King of Hearts, a Clown and the Doctor. 

AHH! Thank you! I was just looking for that clip.

"Do you think I might attract attention?"

"....it's just possible." (oh man. I love the Brig)

• 2 weeks later...

Could that possibly be a Gallifreyan city at 0:22? I really wish they'd revisit that storyline since it's now been nearly two years since the Day of the Doctor.

Maisie Williams features quite a lot... any chance she'll be around longer than the two-parter we know about?

Also, 19th September is my first night at University... ignoring Freshers Week and staying in to watch DW is an acceptable way to meet new people, right? :D

Tbh it looks more Dalek than Gallifreyan. But I don't think it's either.

wishful thinking I guess... it's like the Doctor's Daughter all over again, so much potential that they just haven't got to yet! (though I guess since the Doctor's Daughter was RTD's creation, Moffat might not want to follow it up). 

Balerion: should be no need to stay in. Your uni should have a sci-fi society of some sort, and if they're not showing this, they're missing a trick!

I hope they do, it'll be nice to meet people who are as proud of being a geek as I am! :D

Archived