Twin Peaks is coming back

Fez

On Showtime in 2016.

Twin Peaks fans’ quarter-century wait is over. One of the top cult series of all time is coming back with a new limited series on Showtime from its original creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost. I’ve learned that the nine-episode series will go into production in 2015 for a premiere in 2016 to mark the 25th anniversary of when the series finished its run on ABC. In a fact that will delight Twin Peaks devotees, Lynch and Frost will write and produce all nine episodes, with Lynch set to direct every episode.

I hear the new Twin Peaks will be set in the present day, more than two decades after the events in the first two seasons. It is expected to continue the lore and story of the original series, with Lynch and Frost committed to providing long-awaited answers and, hopefully, a satisfying conclusion to the series. It is unclear which actors from the original series will be featured in the followup. Rumor is that star Kyle MacLachlan would be back, likely reprising his role as FBI Agent Dale Cooper who was at the center of the show. The ABC series also featured some of Lynch’s favorite character actors, and it is likely that at least some of them will return.

Presumably if it does well enough Showtime will ask for more episodes beyond those nine. What a world we live in that the demand for new content is so high that apparently every and any show has a chance of coming back from the dead.

Hopefully the coffee's still damn good.

This calms my mind: Lynch and Frost will pen all nine episodes, with Lynch directing every installment.

'Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.'

Lynch is a great director and visionary, but which of his works were particularly great in the last, say, ten years? I must admit I'm not even familiar with any works of Mark Frost during that period. So I've got my doubts. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Lynch is a great director and visionary, but which of his works were particularly great in the last, say, ten years? I must admit I'm not even familiar with any works of Mark Frost during that period. So I've got my doubts. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Well Lynch hasn't really worked in film/television the past 10 years (except for making Island Empire in '07, which was supposed to be very good), instead focusing on painting and music, so its hard to say if he's still up for it.

And that's exactly where my doubts are coming from. This, plus my opinion, that Inland Empire was definitely not as good as his earlier movies. As a matter of fact, I found it boring and tiring to watch. IMO even Mullholland Drive was already slightly weaker than, say, Lost Highway, not to mention Twin Peaks itself. But having said that, I'd lied if I'd not admitted I am excited.

Archived