Pre-Conquest History

Arya Stark

Oh, yes. The first section we're working on is an overview of history from the Dawn Age on down through the Targaryen reign (and maybeon through Robert's reign, not quite sure yet how close to the series the book will be placed).

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, yes. The first section we're working on is an overview of history from the Dawn Age on down through the Targaryen reign (and maybeon through Robert's reign, not quite sure yet how close to the series the book will be placed).

I'd love to read that! You've got my hope that it'll be in there.

Will there be more information on the Andal Conquest? I would love to read about that battle between King Tristifer IV Mudd of the Hills and Rivers and the seven Andal kings (about which Catelyn told Robb when they were heading for the Twins before the Red Wedding).

We certainly plan to have a section devoted to the arrival of the Andals. To what degree we'll have specifics on individuals like Tristifer Mudd and the Andal kings, we're not sure. It depends a lot on what GRRM makes available, or is willing to create specifically for the book (most of which will be done in the period between completing ADwD and his working on the next book, we suppose).

I think we would touch on it, but it depends on George's notes. Given that I'm pretty sure the source of the Bleeding Years _is_ his notes ... well, yeah, I think we'll have something on it. ;)

I'd suppose it ties into the information he provided at Worldcon regarding, among other things, a Grand Alliance of Free Cities that were fighting it out (either with Volantis or against them, I don't think it was clear) and that Volantis was trying to get Aegon and his sisters to bring their dragons onto their side ... Something like that. Basically, after the fall of Valyria, it looks like there was quite a bit of turmoil. I'd like to know more of the details, too. :)

• 1 month later...

Not the arrival of the children, if they did, in fact, actually "arrive" there rather than being native to it. That's just too far in the past for maesters to have any clue. :)

We will discuss the arrival of the First Men, the Long Night, and the Wall, however.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Targaryen thread, someone brought up the idea of there being a 'page from the White Book' crafted to actually look like the White Book rather than just describing it.

With that in mind, would it be possible to have other 'pages ripped from a book' included in the history section? Personally I love the look of some of the texts from Medieval times and I also like my fake history to be as real as possible. ;) So, it would be cool to see a fragment from a journal, a list of laws, a merchant's ledger, etc, etc. from the various time periods of Westeros. For the oldest times this could be reproductions of writing fragments found on stone tablets.

The biggest drawback to this I guess is that to keep the realism there would have to be different character sets invented for the different languages, and I'm sure nobody wants to take the time to invent a whole 'nother language that would just have to be 'translated' to English anyways.

But, if this is at all possible, then there has to be a scroll fragment about the tPwP or AA prophesy with critical details unfortunately missing....

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I love primary sourc

In the Targaryen thread, someone brought up the idea of there being a 'page from the White Book' crafted to actually look like the White Book rather than just describing it.

With that in mind, would it be possible to have other 'pages ripped from a book' included in the history section? Personally I love the look of some of the texts from Medieval times and I also like my fake history to be as real as possible. ;) So, it would be cool to see a fragment from a journal, a list of laws, a merchant's ledger, etc, etc. from the various time periods of Westeros. For the oldest times this could be reproductions of writing fragments found on stone tablets.

The biggest drawback to this I guess is that to keep the realism there would have to be different character sets invented for the different languages, and I'm sure nobody wants to take the time to invent a whole 'nother language that would just have to be 'translated' to English anyways.

But, if this is at all possible, then there has to be a scroll fragment about the tPwP or AA prophesy with critical details unfortunately missing....

I love primary source material type stuff.

I would really like that, since GRRM history doesnt make sense to me. on one hand the Valyria gained dragons which were unstoppable, bringing down every empire of old to its knees, on the other hand it took them 4000 years to conquer Esoss!!!

I guess they didnt have the empires for dummies manual that dozens of empires in real world had, allowing them to do the same thing in in few decades at most.

Archived