Six Pups in the Snow: A Direwolves Reread

Welcome to Six Pups in the Snow: A Direwolves Reread -hosted by myself, Julia H., and Lyanna<3Rhaegar.

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Grey Wind, Lady, Nymeria, Summer, Shaggydog, and Ghost. Through analysis and discussion, we hope to gain a better understanding of them as symbols, companions to the Starks, and characters in their own right.

We hope to post once a week. Since the direwolves are often featured in the background, there will be occasions when we analyze two or three chapters at a time.

In order to produce the best discussion possible, we ask for the following:

• Please DON’T pick fights with people you disagree with or use the thread to post insults
  • Please DON’T treat this as a hate thread
  • Please show textual support for your view
  • Comparisons and contrasts are welcome
  • Given the subject matter, the discussion of future chapters is fine as long as the references remain relevant to the current chapter.

Before I begin, I want to disclose that I believe in R + L = J and am going to reference it in this post, and I will likely reference it in my upcoming posts as well.

Prologue

Summary: Three men of the Night’s Watch go ranging beyond the Wall and encounter an enemy.

• Among other things, the prologue does an excellent job opening the reader up to the supernatural
  • “There’s some enemies a fire will keep away,” Gared said. “Bears and direwolves and…and other things…"
    • The series first reference to direwolves includes a reference to fire –setting up the dynamic between Starks and Targaryens before we even know about the existence of those families
    • Direwolves aren’t the enemy to be worried about

Bran I

Overview

Bran witnesses his first execution. Robb finds a dead direwolf and her five pups. Jon convinces Ned to let the Starks keep the pups and then finds a sixth pup, which he claims as his.

Observations

• The amount of foreshadowing in this chapter is staggering.
  • How people react to/think of the direwolves will mirror how people will react to/think of the Starks
  • (Perhaps oddly) the faint smell of corruption clinging to the dead direwolf like perfume reminds me Ned’s description of Robert in Eddard I.
  • Bran immediately starts thinking of about what to name his pup –already establishing the importance of identity in the series.

Analysis

“Father, Bran, come quickly, see what Robb has found!”

Finding the direwolves is one of Robb’s biggest contributions to ASOIAF. Yet, like so many of Robb’s actions, the reader is told about it instead of witnessing it. First, this set ups how out of focus Robb will be compared to Bran, Ned, Jon, and Theon. Secondly, considering how Jon’s achievement of convincing Ned to let the Starks keeps the direwolves overshadows Robb’s achievement of finding them, I think a point is being made about how unimportant the finding of something is if you can’t keep it, which gets especially interesting when you compare Robb’s finding of the direwolves to what he finds at the end of AGOT (And whether the remaining Starks can keep what Robb started).

“Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman’s perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father’s kennel.”

“The pup was a tiny ball of grey-black fur, its eyes still closed.” (Given how color is used in ASOIAF, I’ve wondered what the inclusion of the black fur could mean -is it a nod to some part of their heritage or a more general type symbolism?)

“There are five of them [pups].”

The reactions to the dead direwolf and her pups:

• Winterfell denizens:
    • Characters such as Jory, Hullen, and Harwin immediately see the direwolves as a bad omen. In light of what will happen, it would be easy to say they were right all along. However, the more complicated answers that the direwolves bring good and bad with them or they’re needed because the bad times are coming seem more fitting for ASOIAF.

• Theon:
    • Like the aforementioned characters, Theon doesn’t view the direwolves positively. Where he differs from them is that his behavior comes across as ill-intentioned and bloodthirsty (calling the dead direwolf a freak and his eagerness to kill the pups) instead of acting fearful.
    • Speaking of Theon’s calling the symbol of House Stark a “freak,” Theon will later point out “freak” rhymes “reek” and will explicitly identify himself as a freak. His name calling in this chapter is very much a harsher in hindsight moment, but the flipside of it is that by becoming a freak, he becomes a Stark.

• Robb and Jon
    • Unlike the above, Robb and Jon see the direwolves as a wonder and don’t want the pups killed. Where they differ is that Robb quickly takes ownership of them while Jon doesn’t, which the texts illustrates when we read Robb is holding a pup and Jon, instead of holding one, gives it to Bran. Once again we see the difference between a Stark and a Snow.

• Bran
    • In terms of attitude, Bran falls in between. He delighted with the pup and, like his brothers he wants to keep the pups, but he thinks of the mother as a monster, which I find very sad in light of Cat’s fate.

• Ned
    • Ned is no-nonsense. When Jory says it’s a sign, Ned replies that it’s only a dead animal. The question is does Ned believe what he tells Jory or does he say that because he put on his Lord face? Now there are pauses and implications in the text that support the idea of the latter. However, due to what he says and the reinforcement of the idea that Ned doesn’t believe in signs in Cat I, I’m inclined to believe, that as of the time of Bran I, Ned doesn’t believe the supernatural is involved. But if that’s true, then…

"Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord."

…why is Ned swayed by Jon’s argument of the direwolf is the symbol of House + there are five pups + you have five trueborn children = your children were meant to have these pups? I think there are two reasons. The first is that Ned recognizes the importance of the direwolf to House Stark without tying it to the divine. I think if Ned had the direwolves killed at this point in the story, it would feel like destroying a family heirloom. The second reason is R + L = J. I’m sure Jon asking Ned to spare the pups reminded Ned of Lyanna. And when Jon says, “I’m no Stark, Father.” I think Ned sees the similarity between Jon making a sacrifice for the pups and the other Starks and the sacrifice he made for Lyanna and Jon.

The Sixth Direwolf

So Ned has them gather up the pups. As they leave, Jon hears something and discovers a sixth pup, an albino with its eyes already open. A lot of people think Jon found Ghost through their warg bond. I think Ghost’s eyes already being open supports the idea due to “opening your third eye” being part of the warging process. Of course there are plenty of other interpretations for why Ghost’s eyes were open.

I’ve also seen a lot of discussion over whether Ghost is a “sibling” to the other five. I like the fuzziness of Ghost’s origins because of how well it reflects the uncertainty of Jon’s relationship to the Starks.

I think Jon and Ned differing interpretations over whether Ghost crawled away or was driven out reflects what’s going on in their minds. Jon I will reveal Jon has been thinking about leaving Winterfell for a while. Ned’s darker take of Ghost being driven away is likely tied to R + L = J.

Finally, Theon and Jon debate Ghost’s chance of survival. Their exchange gives me more confidence of Jon’s post-ADWD survival.

Catelyn I

Overview

In the Winterfell godswoods, Ned and Cat discuss the children, the direwolves, the situation beyond the Wall, Jon Arryn’s death, and the impending visit of King Robert.

Observations

• Catelyn I compliments Bran I because it reveals the rest of the Starks reactions to the direwolves.
  • Cat connects the appearance of the direwolves with darker things happening up north.
  • Ned not believing in signs is emphasized again.

Analysis

As in the preceding chapter, the reactions toward the direwolves tell the readers a lot about the characters.

Sansa

“…Sansa is charmed and gracious…” which immediately gives her a “proper lady” vibe to her character. It also foreshadows how Sansa can remaining charming and gracious to the human beasts she encounters.

Arya

“Arya is already in love…” This suggests Arya had a more passionate reaction than Sansa. Also because love is more abstract than charming and gracious, it seems harder to pin down her character at this point than it is with Sansa. Another point to compare/contrast with Sansa is that while Sansa will keep her ability to be charming and gracious to beasts, whether Arya kept or be able to regain her ability to love is up for debate.

Rickon

“…Rickon is not quite sure…” Both of his parents see this as fear. Rickon’s reactions seems to reveal more about Cat and Ned than about Rickon.

Cat

Like with Jory, Hullen, and Harwin, the direwolves cause Cat dread. What’s interesting is that she appears to be the only who connects the coming of the direwolves with the situation beyond the Wall. Despite her thoughts to the contrary, Cat’s reaction to the direwolves suggests she is not so different from the northerners as she thinks or possibly more influenced than she realized.

Great OP and an exciting beginning! :cheers:

• Among other things, the prologue does an excellent job opening the reader up to the supernatural
  • “There’s some enemies a fire will keep away,” Gared said. “Bears and direwolves and…and other things…"
    • The series first reference to direwolves includes a reference to fire –setting up the dynamic between Starks and Targaryens before we even know about the existence of those families
    • Direwolves aren’t the enemy to be worried about

It is interesting that direwolves and bears are mentioned. While the direwolf refers to the Starks, the bear refers to the Mormonts. Both families are associated with the Night's Watch, so no enemies at all. But it also suggests that both families have “connections” beyond the Wall. The “Bear” will die there and one “direwolf” (Benjen) will disappear beyond the Wall while another (Jon) will learn very important things there.

“Come, let us see what mischief my sons have rooted out now.”

Others have noted how “rooted out” can be a reference to the weirwood and by extension, the Old Gods, the reference echoed by Jon 's words "Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord".

I also find it interesting that this is a moment (probably the only one in the book) where Ned explicitly calls Jon his son.

“Father, Bran, come quickly, see what Robb has found!”

Finding the direwolves is one of Robb’s biggest contributions to ASOIAF. Yet, like so many of Robb’s actions, the reader is told about it instead of witnessing it. First, this set ups how out of focus Robb will be compared to Bran, Ned, Jon, and Theon. Secondly, considering how Jon’s achievement of convincing Ned to let the Starks keeps the direwolves overshadows Robb’s achievement of finding them, I think a point is being made about how unimportant the finding of something is if you can’t keep it, which gets especially interesting when you compare Robb’s finding of the direwolves to what he finds at the end of AGOT (And whether the remaining Starks can keep what Robb started).

Excellent point. I'd like to add that Robb behaves like a lord as he claims the pups:

For a moment he sounded as commanding as their Father, like the lord he would someday be. “We will keep these pups.”

Getting into touch with the direwolves seems to awaken the lord in the boy as he is claiming a birthright that has belonged to the Starks for thousands of years, just as he will later claim the crown of the Kings-in-the-North.

Jon, on the other hand, behaves like the protector he will soon become, the shield that guards the realm, the Lord Commander who will not have Mance's baby son killed, the man of the Night's Watch willing to make personal sacrifices for others. He is also showing his skill at negotiating, at persuading someone using the right arguments.

I like the analysis of how different characters react to the direwolves. I've never thought of the freak – Reek connection in this way. Now that you have pointed it out, I have also noticed that just after Theon has called the dead direwolf a freak, we get a description of the body, including “the faint smell of corruption” it has.

“Born with the dead”

In hindsight, it is easy to make a connection between Jon and the direwolf pups born to a dead / dying mother. Of all the people present, Ned may actually make this connection.

The beginning of the novel is marked by death at several points: the death of the black brothers in the Prologue, Gared's execution and the dead direwolf. The pups, however, symbolize the beginning of a new life. Blood is a recurring theme, too. Gared's blood, Stark blood, bloodstained snow, Ghost's blood-red eyes.

The stag – direwolf conflict is foreshadowed. The first-time reader does not realize what it is, as the POV character, Bran does not understand why everyone seems to be afraid.

Ned's description of direwolves:

“And the gods help you if you neglect them, or brutalize them, or train them badly. These are not dogs to beg for treats and slink off at a kick. A direwolf will rip a man's arm off his shoulder as easily as a dog will kill a rat. Are you sure you want this?”

“Yes, Father,” Bran said.

“Yes,” Robb agreed.

Accepting the direwolves may entail embracing a darker heritage than the Stark children's present life in Winterfell suggests. Bran is the first to respond, immediately followed by Robb.

Ned's words may also be a warning to the (future) enemies of the Starks. The Starks can be dangerous if treated badly or brutalized (which is exactly what will happen).

The comparison between direwolves and dogs is another remarkable point made by Ned. It brings to my mind Theon's future fate (and also Sandor, though Theon is more interesting because he is actually present in this scene). Theon (supposed to be a kraken) will actually go through a phase of being a dog before he identifies himself as a brother to the Starks.

The Sixth Pup

After finding the sixth pup, Jon rides back to the Starks smiling. Even though he is officially not a Stark, the gods that meant the Stark-children to have the pups have sent him one, too. He is a Stark by blood (if not in name) – that is the first, most immediate connection that Ghost's blood-red eyes suggest.

Ghost's eyes being open has been linked to Jon being more mature and more perceptive than his brothers and also to the possibility of Jon being in fact the oldest of them. (Ned may have lied about his birthday to make it more difficult for anyone to connect him with Lyanna and also to reassure Catelyn that Robb was the first-born and his uncontested heir.)

The Sixth Direwolf

So Ned has them gather up the pups. As they leave, Jon hears something and discovers a sixth pup, an albino with its eyes already open. A lot of people think Jon found Ghost through their warg bond. I think Ghost’s eyes already being open supports the idea due to “opening your third eye” being part of the warging process. Of course there are plenty of other interpretations for why Ghost’s eyes were open.

I’ve also seen a lot of discussion over whether Ghost is a “sibling” to the other five. I like the fuzziness of Ghost’s origins because of how well it reflects the uncertainty of Jon’s relationship to the Starks.

I think Jon and Ned differing interpretations over whether Ghost crawled away or was driven out reflects what’s going on in their minds. Jon I will reveal Jon has been thinking about leaving Winterfell for a while. Ned’s darker take of Ghost being driven away is likely tied to R + L = J.

Finally, Theon and Jon debate Ghost’s chance of survival. Their exchange gives me more confidence of Jon’s post-ADWD survival.

It may perhaps suggest that Ned is not entirely without worry regarding Jon's future among the Starks. Yes, Jon definitely seems to think the sixth pup must have left his siblings on his own rather than being driven away by them.

“I think not, Greyjoy,” he said. “This one belongs to me.”

Both Robb and Jon make a promise not to let the pups die. Jon also verbally claims Ghost, as Bran and Robb have claimed their direwolves, and, as has been suggested, it means also claiming the Stark fate and spiritual heritage.

Fantastic post!

It is interesting that direwolves and bears are mentioned. While the direwolf refers to the Starks, the bear refers to the Mormonts. Both families are associated with the Night's Watch, so no enemies at all. But it also suggests that both families have “connections” beyond the Wall. The “Bear” will die there and one “direwolf” (Benjen) will disappear beyond the Wall while another (Jon) will learn very important things there.

You're right, for the most part the Starks and Mormonts have been the NW's allies. However, (some of) the NW ends up turning on both Jon and Jeor, so (some of) the NW has become an enemy to direwolves and bears. I too like the suggestion of the families having connections beyond the Wall.

I also find it interesting that this is a moment (probably the only one in the book) where Ned explicitly calls Jon his son.

I also think it fitting for Ned to refer Jon as his son in a chapter where Jon proves he is Ned's son despite not being Ned's biological son.

I like the analysis of how different characters react to the direwolves. I've never thought of the freak – Reek connection in this way. Now that you have pointed it out, I have also noticed that just after Theon has called the dead direwolf a freak, we get a description of the body, including “the faint smell of corruption” it has.

Yes, because while Theon abhorred the dead direwolf, I'm sure he that by the end of the chapter he had gotten a direwolf pup too. He would've wanted the validation that he was a Stark as well. Theon becoming a freak like the dead direwolf feels very "be careful what you wish for." The corruption as part of the direwolf's description is a nice touch considering how the theme of corruption plays out in Theon's arc.

It may perhaps suggest that Ned is not entirely without worry regarding Jon's future among the Starks. Yes, Jon definitely seems to think the sixth pup must have left his siblings on his own rather than being driven away by them.

Jon thinking Ghost wondered off shows that Jon doesn't blame the other direwolves, which I think illustrates how much Jon loves his siblings despite the status gulf between them.

Yes, because while Theon abhorred the dead direwolf, I'm sure he that by the end of the chapter he had gotten a direwolf pup too. He would've wanted the validation that he was a Stark as well.

It is an interesting point. My original assumption was that only the blood of the Starks could bond (warg) with direwolves, so Theon never had a chance to get a wolf pup; but now that you are mentioning it, I wonder if there might have been seven direwolf pups (a magical number), one for each of the kids growing up in Winterfell, but since Theon rejected the direwolves, he could not get one. Of course, the Stark girls and Rickon got their direwolves even though they weren't present, so the Stark blood must have counted for something, but Jon, on the other hand, found his own direwolf pup only after proving himself worthy of one.

In defence of Theon, his reaction to the direwolves is not so different from that of everyone else who is not a Stark.

I find the fact that Jon. "heard " ghost interesting because it's the only time ghost makes a noise, and even bran says jon was hearing something he himself couldn't hear. Supports the warging connection I think.

Welcome! :)

Yes, it is Jon alone who can hear Ghost. I wonder if there will ever be another moment where Ghost makes a sound that Jon hears. Then again, perhaps it is not necessary any longer, since he can "sense" Ghost more accurately than simply hearing him.

Another mystery is how the direwolves got south of the Wall. I don't know that, but it seems that the huge, dead mother wolf may not only symbolize the near future (the conflict with the Baratheons) but also the past of the Starks - a history that is great and intimidating, but nurturing, too, and, by now, dead. The young pups are the promise of a future, a Stark future that necessitates a return to something ancient and forgotten.

It has just occurred to me that the young Starks (and possibly even Theon) who have seen the dead mother wolf are the ones who will return to the past of the Starks in some way. Robb will claim the ancient crown of the Kings-in-the-North, Bran will witness scenes of the distant past firsthand, and Jon will rediscover the original duty of the Night's Watch, i.e., to protect the realms of all men against the Others, which is also a return to the past of the Starks, as well as, in a more general sense, a return to the past of the North.

I find the fact that Jon. "heard " ghost interesting because it's the only time ghost makes a noise, and even bran says jon was hearing something he himself couldn't hear. Supports the warging connection I think.

Agreed and welcome to the thread!

It is an interesting point. My original assumption was that only the blood of the Starks could bond (warg) with direwolves, so Theon never had a chance to get a wolf pup; but now that you are mentioning it, I wonder if there might have been seven direwolf pups (a magical number), one for each of the kids growing up in Winterfell, but since Theon rejected the direwolves, he could not get one. Of course, the Stark girls and Rickon got their direwolves even though they weren't present, so the Stark blood must have counted for something, but Jon, on the other hand, found his own direwolf pup only after proving himself worthy of one.

In defence of Theon, his reaction to the direwolves is not so different from that of everyone else who is not a Stark.

Are the Starks the only ones capable of warging direwolves? I'm inclined to think not. Varamyr seemed confident he could warg Ghost (though I won't rule out he was overestimating his abilities). I think Bloodraven could warg a direwolf, and I have seen threads discussing whether he has warged Ghost or the mother direwolf. Skinchanging seems to be based more on having the blood of the First Men rather than descent from a particular family. As to whether or not Theon could be a skinchanger, IIRC there is an Ironborn family with the reputation of being skinchangers. And if Theon did have some sort of latent skinchanging ability, it gives a new perspective on what happens to him in ADWD.

I think you're right about Theon's rejection being a factor in him not getting a direwolf. I'm in the "Bloodraven sent the direwolves to the Starks" camp, so I think if Bloodraven wanted Theon to have a direwolf, he would've provided one.

Jon I

Overview

The chapter is preceded by Eddard I, where Robert arrives and offers Ned the position of Hand. The chapter following Jon I is Catelyn II, where Eddard and Catelyn discuss what to do with the King's offer and make important decisions regarding the future of their family. Both chapters focus on change and contain some ominous foreboding. In between is Jon's first chapter, where Ghost takes part in the feast with Jon in the company of the younger squires instead of the family, and where Jon states his intention to leave the pack and start a career of his own. Ghost is with Jon both at the table and in the yard later, and he gets introduced to Benjen Stark and Tyrion Lannister.

Observations

- While Jon has “a man's thirst” and apparently can't stop drinking, Ghost pup has a truly wolfish appetite.

- Jon counts it as a blessing that he is allowed to have Ghost by his side during the feast. It is the first occasion where Ghost's presence means comfort to him.

- Jon's temporary exclusion from the family makes it possible for Ghost to participate in the feast, while his siblings are banned.

- It is rather cute when Benjen ruffles Jon's hair quite as Jon ruffles Ghost's.

- Ghost has a name in this chapter – he is the first direwolf whose name we learn.

- Having a direwolf seems to facilitate socializing. Both Benjen and Tyrion approach Jon with a question about Ghost.

Analysis

The chapter establishes Ghost as a loyal friend to Jon and a dangerous enemy to beasts and men.

The Feast

Jon feeds his direwolf generously. There seems to have developed a strong emotional bond between them since their first meeting by the bridge. Ghost is presented as a wild animal, who rips into the chicken “in savage silence”and is both ready and able to defend his prize. Yet, he is gentle, even playful towards Jon.

... there were more curs than Jon could count at this end of the hall, and no one had said a word about his pup.”

At the feast, Ghost, a direwolf of House Stark, has to be able to hold his own among dogs, notably curs, mongrels, generally the most despised kinds of dogs, which foreshadows Jon's future among the outcasts of the realm in the Night's Watch.

The possible interpretations of Ghost's fight with the huge black mongrel bitch for the chicken is food for the imagination, but whatever this scene foreshadows, it is yet to come in one of the future books, I think.

His name is Ghost

He's not like the others,” Jon said. “He never makes a sound. That's why I named him Ghost. That, and because he is white. The others are all dark, grey or black.”

Ghost is described as a rather unusual direwolf. He is different from his siblings in colour, and he never makes a sound. Benjen mentions how they usually hear the direwolves beyond the Wall on their rangings, emphasizing that Ghost is different not only from his siblings but also from most other members of his species. He is also the direwolf pup that was found later than the others, away from the pack. All that can obviously refer to Jon being both different from his siblings and special in the whole of the Seven Kingdoms due to his birth, ancestry or some other reason - but is that all? Or could it also mean that Ghost is unique in his own right, too, and is marked out as destined for a special fate among the direwolves?

Ghost's unusual colour can easily be explained as the colour of snow (and it is also the other Stark colour, besides grey), but what is the significance of his silence? If we look for a reference to Jon again, then silence can indicate the secret surrounding Jon's birth, the silence on the subject of Jon's true identity. However, Ghost's own origin is mysterious, too. Apart from the more general question of where the mother direwolf came from, Ghost's individual status in the direwolf family is somewhat uncertain as well.

What's in a name? Jon explains why he has named his animal Ghost, but are we, the readers, really convinced that it is all that GRRM meant? Whose ghost should we be thinking of? Ghost belongs to Jon, and the implications of that are rather well-known. Yet, there are other possibilities as well: The name may also refer to Ghost being the “ghost” of whoever sent him, a connection between Jon and a mysterious power that wants to be in touch with the Starks, or a memory of the distant past coming to life again.

An Encounter with a Lannister

Is that animal a wolf?”

Like Benjen, Tyrion also starts the conversation with Jon by asking a question about Ghost, and Jon once more introduces his direwolf.

Here we can observe the first sign of direwolf distrust towards a Lannister.

It is noteworthy that we are in Jon's POV and he does not seem to feel any conscious resentment towards Tyrion. Jon's primary sentiment at this point seems to be a mainly positive curiosity towards the little man. Tyrion performs an acrobatic leap and it is suggested that the unexpected movement frightens the wolf pup. Of course, we don't have Ghost's POV, and we don't have to believe that Tyrion's interpretation is correct. (Jon himself refuses to accept it.) The exchange between Tyrion and Jon is rather telling:

“I believe I've frightened your wolf. My apologies.”

“He's not scared,” Jon said. He knelt and called out. “Ghost, come here. Come on. That's it.”

The suggestion that a Stark direwolf is frightened may imply a degree of derision, and Jon is quick to contradict Tyrion and prove that Ghost is not afraid. Ghost obeys Jon as a well-trained animal can be expected to, but he keeps “a wary eye” on Tyrion, then draws back and bares his fangs “in a silent snarl” when Tyrion tries to pet him.

Tyrion continues to talk about Ghost as though the direwolf were a dog, using words like “shy” and “nice wolf”, and Jon finds it necessary to remind him of what he is facing in reality:

“If I wasn't here, he'd tear out your throat”.

The warning echoes Ned's words about direwolves in Bran I and makes it clear that despite everything, Jon's loyalties still lie unquestionably with the Starks.

Then there is an interesting sentence:

It wasn't actually true yet, but it would be.

The wording is tricky – we can read the sentence as Jon's afterthought correcting a bit what he has just said; but it might also be a rather well-hidden reference to a future Stark/Snow-Tyrion conflict.

So, according to Ghost, what is wrong with Tyrion here?

• Ghost's feelings regarding Tyrion are apparently not a projection of what Jon is (consciously) feeling.

• Tyrion suggests it is fear or shyness, but Jon denies it.

• It may be the Stark family sigil's instinctive dislike of anything Lannister or a general presentiment of approaching trouble due to Tyrion's family.

• Ghost may sense something that (according to a possible hidden allusion) might happen in the more distant future, probably a personal conflict with Tyrion.

These are the possibilities I have been able to come up with, but feel free to add to the list if you can think of anything else. Later we can see whether a similar checklist applies to other direwolf vs Tyrion situations.

One thing that I've actually wondered about Ghost is this: Was he forced out by his litter mates, or did he leave them of his own accord? Jon thinks that he was forced out because he was different:

"They had been riding off with the other pups, but Jon had heard a noise and turned back, and there he was, white fur almost invisible against the drifts. He was all alone, he thought, apart from the others in the litter. He was different, so they drove him out."

But later, we read this:

"Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother, sucking cool milk from her hard dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone."

It seems that Jon believes that Ghost was pushed out because he was different- much like Jon believes he was. But is that truly what happened? Is it that Ghost (like Jon) was always destined for something different? We know that Jon wasn't truly driven out of Winterfell- he chose to leave, he chose to go to the Night's Watch after thinking on it long and hard and even begged his uncle to convince Ned. So perhaps the truth is that Jon, like Ghost, 'opened his eyes' sooner than the rest of his siblings to the real world and decided to strike out on his own.

Any other interpretation?

One thing that I've actually wondered about Ghost is this: Was he forced out by his litter mates, or did he leave them of his own accord? Jon thinks that he was forced out because he was different:

"They had been riding off with the other pups, but Jon had heard a noise and turned back, and there he was, white fur almost invisible against the drifts. He was all alone, he thought, apart from the others in the litter. He was different, so they drove him out."

But later, we read this:

"Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother, sucking cool milk from her hard dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone."

It seems that Jon believes that Ghost was pushed out because he was different- much like Jon believes he was. But is that truly what happened? Is it that Ghost (like Jon) was always destined for something different? We know that Jon wasn't truly driven out of Winterfell- he chose to leave, he chose to go to the Night's Watch after thinking on it long and hard and even begged his uncle to convince Ned. So perhaps the truth is that Jon, like Ghost, 'opened his eyes' sooner than the rest of his siblings to the real world and decided to strike out on his own.

Welcome to the reread! :)

That's a bit of a jump ahead, but it is interesting because Jon's thought at that later point is in contrast to what he says in Bran I:

"He must have crawled away from the others," Jon said.

"Or been driven away," their father said, looking at the sixth pup.

Here it is Ned who suggests Ghost might have been driven away, while Jon apparently thinks what is later confirmed by Ghost's POV. The difference between Jon's opinion here and his opinion later may simply reflect how he sees himself in relation to Winterfell and the Starks at the given moment.

I tend to think that Ghost, like Jon, was destined for something different from the beginning. He was not only apart from the others in the litter, he also looked different and was also silent. His eyes were open, too. He was also the only direwolf who did not "come free", so to speak. At least it seems Jon had to prove he was a true Stark before being able to find him. The reason for that may not simply be that Jon did not have the Stark name, it may also be that whoever was to have Ghost had to be worthy of something unique.

But later, we read this:

@sj4jy, welcome to the thread! Was Ghost driven out, or did he wonder off by himself? I think the answer is both. This may seem like a cop out answer, but I think in ASOIAF, it's rare to make a decision based on a singular motivation.

Welcome to the reread! :)

That's a bit of a jump ahead, but it is interesting because Jon's thought at that later point is in contrast to what he says in Bran I:

"He must have crawled away from the others," Jon said.

"Or been driven away," their father said, looking at the sixth pup.

Here it is Ned who suggests Ghost might have been driven away, while Jon apparently thinks what is later confirmed by Ghost's POV. The difference between Jon's opinion here and his opinion later may simply reflect how he sees himself in relation to Winterfell and the Starks at the given moment.

I tend to think that Ghost, like Jon, was destined for something different from the beginning. He was not only apart from the others in the litter, he also looked different and was also silent. His eyes were open, too. He was also the only direwolf who did not "come free", so to speak. At least it seems Jon had to prove he was a true Stark before being able to find him. The reason for that may not simply be that Jon did not have the Stark name, it may also be that whoever was to have Ghost had to be worthy of something unique.

I absolutely agree with this.

Brilliant analysis, Julia H! :bowdown: Before I delve into it I want to bring up a few points from Eddard I.

A significant portion of Eddard I is spent in the Winterfell crypts. This a partial description of the tombs. "The Lords of Winterfell watched them pass. Their likenesses were carved into the stones that sealed the tombs. In long rows they sat, blind eyes staring into eternal darkness, while great stone direwolves curled around their feet."

• While Ned doesn't have a direwolf companion the way his children do, the symbol of the direwolf is prevalent in his chapters.
  • I've seen a lot of great threads and individuals discuss how stone is used to keep Starks hidden, so it seems very appropriate for Ned to have the conversation he does have with Robert in the crypts.
  • After the portion I quoted, Ned will describe how the statues are given swords to keep their spirits in their tombs. However, no explanation is given for the stone direwolves at their feet. I wonder if the stone direwolves' purpose are the opposite of the longswords' purpose, especially since warging could keep a warg's spirit out of his or her tomb.

Jon I

Observations

- Jon counts it as a blessing that he is allowed to have Ghost by his side during the feast. It is the first occasion where Ghost's presence means comfort to him.

This is going to come up a lot -nor will it be limited to Jon and Ghost.

- It is rather cute when Benjen ruffles Jon's hair quite as Jon ruffles Ghost's.

- Having a direwolf seems to facilitate socializing. Both Benjen and Tyrion approach Jon with a question about Ghost.

Benjen ruffling Jon's hair is an adorable moment.

... there were more curs than Jon could count at this end of the hall, and no one had said a word about his pup.”

At the feast, Ghost, a direwolf of House Stark, has to be able to hold his own among dogs, notably curs, mongrels, generally the most despised kinds of dogs, which foreshadows Jon's future among the outcasts of the realm in the Night's Watch.

Also I find it interesting how impersonal the description of the dogs are and how easily Jon takes Ghost's side over the dogs. Likewise in Bran I, Robb will only describe Ser Rodrik's dog as a "red bitch," and Bran refers to the Winterfell kennel as belonging to Ned. It can be inferred that the kennelmaster had charge of the dogs, and the Stark kids had very little to do with them. This lack of a personal relationship with any of the Winterfell dogs is why I think the Stark kids didn't start warging until the direwolves arrived.

The possible interpretations of Ghost's fight with the huge black mongrel bitch for the chicken is food for the imagination, but whatever this scene foreshadows, it is yet to come in one of the future books, I think.

I agree.

His name is Ghost

He's not like the others,” Jon said. “He never makes a sound. That's why I named him Ghost. That, and because he is white. The others are all dark, grey or black.”

Ghost is described as a rather unusual direwolf. He is different from his siblings in colour, and he never makes a sound. Benjen mentions how they usually hear the direwolves beyond the Wall on their rangings, emphasizing that Ghost is different not only from his siblings but also from most other members of his species. He is also the direwolf pup that was found later than the others, away from the pack. All that can obviously refer to Jon being both different from his siblings and special in the whole of the Seven Kingdoms due to his birth, ancestry or some other reason - but is that all? Or could it also mean that Ghost is unique in his own right, too, and is marked out as destined for a special fate among the direwolves?

Ghost's unusual colour can easily be explained as the colour of snow (and it is also the other Stark colour, besides grey), but what is the significance of his silence? If we look for a reference to Jon again, then silence can indicate the secret surrounding Jon's birth, the silence on the subject of Jon's true identity. However, Ghost's own origin is mysterious, too. Apart from the more general question of where the mother direwolf came from, Ghost's individual status in the direwolf family is somewhat uncertain as well.

What's in a name? Jon explains why he has named his animal Ghost, but are we, the readers, really convinced that it is all that GRRM meant? Whose ghost should we be thinking of? Ghost belongs to Jon, and the implications of that are rather well-known. Yet, there are other possibilities as well: The name may also refer to Ghost being the “ghost” of whoever sent him, a connection between Jon and a mysterious power that wants to be in touch with the Starks, or a memory of the distant past coming to life again.

Ghost being white and the others being dark contrasts with the physical appearances of their owners. Bran I describes Robb as fair and Jon as dark. Do the wolves compensate for what their owners lack? And what to make of Arya being dark in appearance and having a dark wolf?

There is more to Ghost's name than what Jon's explanation covers. What you already mentioned fits, and I know there will be more to come in future chapters.

Is that animal a wolf?”

Like Benjen, Tyrion also starts the conversation with Jon by asking a question about Ghost, and Jon once more introduces his direwolf.

Here we can observe the first sign of direwolf distrust towards a Lannister.

It is noteworthy that we are in Jon's POV and he does not seem to feel any conscious resentment towards Tyrion. Jon's primary sentiment at this point seems to be a mainly positive curiosity towards the little man. Tyrion performs an acrobatic leap and it is suggested that the unexpected movement frightens the wolf pup. Of course, we don't have Ghost's POV, and we don't have to believe that Tyrion's interpretation is correct. (Jon himself refuses to accept it.) The exchange between Tyrion and Jon is rather telling:

“I believe I've frightened your wolf. My apologies.”

“He's not scared,” Jon said. He knelt and called out. “Ghost, come here. Come on. That's it.”

The suggestion that a Stark direwolf is frightened may imply a degree of derision, and Jon is quick to contradict Tyrion and prove that Ghost is not afraid. Ghost obeys Jon as a well-trained animal can be expected to, but he keeps “a wary eye” on Tyrion, then draws back and bares his fangs “in a silent snarl” when Tyrion tries to pet him.

Tyrion continues to talk about Ghost as though the direwolf were a dog, using words like “shy” and “nice wolf”, and Jon finds it necessary to remind him of what he is facing in reality:

“If I wasn't here, he'd tear out your throat”.

The warning echoes Ned's words about direwolves in Bran I and makes it clear that despite everything, Jon's loyalties still lie unquestionably with the Starks.

Then there is an interesting sentence:

It wasn't actually true yet, but it would be.

The wording is tricky – we can read the sentence as Jon's afterthought correcting a bit what he has just said; but it might also be a rather well-hidden reference to a future Stark/Snow-Tyrion conflict.

So, according to Ghost, what is wrong with Tyrion here?

• Ghost's feelings regarding Tyrion are apparently not a projection of what Jon is (consciously) feeling.

• Tyrion suggests it is fear or shyness, but Jon denies it.

• It may be the Stark family sigil's instinctive dislike of anything Lannister or a general presentiment of approaching trouble due to Tyrion's family.

• Ghost may sense something that (according to a possible hidden allusion) might happen in the more distant future, probably a personal conflict with Tyrion.

These are the possibilities I have been able to come up with, but feel free to add to the list if you can think of anything else. Later we can see whether a similar checklist applies to other direwolf vs Tyrion situations.

Ghost and Tyrion:

Ghost having a different reaction to Tyrion than Jon and Jon having to remind Ghost to obey reminds me that the direwolves have wills of their own, but they do defer to the Starks.

To add to your checklist, there's also the specific harm to Jon that Tyrion will cause despite Tyrion thinking his actions were beneficial. We definitely have to keep the checklist in mind.

Brilliant analysis, Julia H! :bowdown: Before I delve into it I want to bring up a few points from Eddard I.

A significant portion of Eddard I is spent in the Winterfell crypts. This a partial description of the tombs. "The Lords of Winterfell watched them pass. Their likenesses were carved into the stones that sealed the tombs. In long rows they sat, blind eyes staring into eternal darkness, while great stone direwolves curled around their feet."

• While Ned doesn't have a direwolf companion the way his children do, the symbol of the direwolf is prevalent in his chapters.

I've seen a lot of great threads and individuals discuss how stone is used to keep Starks hidden, so it seems very appropriate for Ned to have the conversation he does have with Robert in the crypts.

After the portion I quoted, Ned will describe how the statues are given swords to keep their spirits in their tombs. However, no explanation is given for the stone direwolves at their feet. I wonder if the stone direwolves' purpose are the opposite of the longswords' purpose, especially since warging could keep a warg's spirit out of his or her tomb.

Thank you. :)

Thanks for bringing in the stone direwolves! They are obviously part of the Stark past, and it suggests that warging is an ancient tradition in the family (but probably lost a certain number of generations ago). Each of the old Lords of Winterfell is depicted with a sword and a direwolf. That is pretty much how Jon Snow will appear to the reader as the story progresses. The difference is that the old lords in the crypt have longswords, while Jon will wield a bastard sword, which neatly symbolizes the reason why Jon feels he does not belong to the Starks.

I love the observation about the possible purpose of direwolves in the crypt. Good point.

It gives me an eerie feeling when I read that the rusted away iron swords have left red stains on the stone. BTW, it seems the stone direwolves last longer than the iron swords. Overall, the stone figures (kings and wolves alike?) don't seem to be totally lifeless.

The shifting shadows made the stone figures seem to stir as the living passed by.

They were all listening, he knew.

Something I forgot to bring up in my last post. This is from the part where Ghost is fighting the dog for the chicken. "Ghost, looked up, silent, and fixed the dog with those hot red eyes." I never noticed the detail of "hot red eyes" before, feels like another hint of Jon's Targ heritage.

Fire is hot, but blood can be “hot” as well. Ghost's eyes are described in Bran I as “as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning”. There is an interesting comparison in this post by Shadow Cat Rivers between fiery red and blood-red. Ghost's eyes are blood-red. Perhaps the fight makes Ghost's blood boil. ;)

Then again, blood does link Jon to the Targaryens.

I wonder whether we can make some educated guesses about the significance of Ghost's silence by examining other silent characters in the books: Ser Ilyn Payne's tongue was torn out by King Aerys for saying that Lord Tywin Lannister was the true power behind the throne; Lady Stoneheart has lost her ability to speak. Those characters started out with voices, however, and lost them. Perhaps more comparable to Ghost's silence is the muteness of a minor character, Wex Pyke, who was born mute (as well as being a bastard). He is a watcher and he learns a vitally important secret. Jon becomes a watcher on the wall. Maybe Ghost's muteness underscores the quality of being a good observer in both direwolf and Jon.

I assume Ghost the pup was separate from the siblings as symbol of Jon's separation from Catelyn: the five dark pups are suckling as best they can, but Ghost is not part of the group at the mother direwolf's body. This fits the plot: up until Jon goes to the wall and Catelyn goes to King's Landing, a lot of her character exposition is all about her resentment of Jon - she's kind of hard to like, in my opinion, perhaps like the fragrant corpse of the dead direwolf.

I agree that this underscores your point about the mystery of Ghost's status in relation to this litter as well.

Does it help to examine the discovery of the direwolf pups alongside the hatching of Daenerys' dragon eggs? The mother wolf dies at the scene of the pups' birth, but not of natural causes. Drogo dies through a series of unnatural causes as part of the "birthing" of the dragons. (The death of the magical Mirri Maz Duur is another ingredient in bringing them to life.) No one seems to ask what happened to the stag, whose antler killed the mother direwolf. Is it enough to write it off as a Baratheon metaphor? The pups are born in the snow, of course; the dragons are born in fire. Dany becomes the Mother of Dragons. Does that make the Stark children and Jon Snow the mothers and fathers of wolves? Which other "death in childbirth" stories might be useful for understanding the important symbolism and foreshadowing in this scene?

Some comments on other threads might help to explain the importance of Ghost's red eyes. Forum participant butterbumps! wrote an excellent summary of Jon and Ghost's symbolism in the thread dedicated to the Ice and Fire Animal Project. The relevant lines about Ghost's eyes emphasize that they are not just any old red eyes:

Ghost's eyes are deep garnet in color; Mormont chooses garnet eyes for Longclaw's pommel, but Jon observes that Ghosts eyes are dark garnet independently of this. When Tywin is having Ice reforged, he instructs Tobho to use rubies, because garnets lack the fire. This link shows the visual difference between rubies and garnets, which seems a purposeful distinction in Martin's world. The color of garnet seems to invoke not fire, but blood; notable garnet mentions include the eyes of the Valyrian (dragon) sphinxes in the Red Keep, and the jeweled blood spatter on Bolton attire. Jon himself will call Ghost blood and bones like a weirwood.

Additional insight:

Another little thing about garnets. In german they´re called Granate and the pomegranate is called Granatapfel, since the garnets are often found in clusters of grainlike structure reeminiscent of the pomegranete´s pips. So there is also a connecti onto this mythical fruit of temptation that will bind you to the other underworld.

This reminded me of discussion of fruit symbolism in the Food Code of Ice and Fire thread (sorry - I don't have a direct link). There seemed to be consensus that pomegranates were usually associated with Daenerys (although LF tries to get Sansa to eat one at a breakfast at the Eyrie).

Tyrion performs an acrobatic leap and it is suggested that the unexpected movement frightens the wolf pup.

I've wondered about the significance of the fact that Tyrion is jumping off a wall when he meets Jon Snow for the first time. Since Jon is all about The Wall, does this foreshadow a future role for Tyrion in somehow coming over the big wall? If so, Ghost's response may be foreshadowing a battle or some other breach in the defenses.

Welcome to the thread, Seams!

I wonder whether we can make some educated guesses about the significance of Ghost's silence by examining other silent characters in the books: Ser Ilyn Payne's tongue was torn out by King Aerys for saying that Lord Tywin Lannister was the true power behind the throne; Lady Stoneheart has lost her ability to speak. Those characters started out with voices, however, and lost them. Perhaps more comparable to Ghost's silence is the muteness of a minor character, Wex Pyke, who was born mute (as well as being a bastard). He is a watcher and he learns a vitally important secret. Jon becomes a watcher on the wall. Maybe Ghost's muteness underscores the quality of being a good observer in both direwolf and Jon.

Interesting, I never thought about the comparisons among the mute characters. All (or at least most) of the silent characters have this duality of being vulnerable and dangerous. These characters tend to become aces up various characters sleeves, and that is particularly prominent in relation to Jon and Ghost. Also Ghost being mute ups the contrast between him and Tyrion "can't hold his tongue" Lannister. Maybe that's another reason why Ghost is uneasy around Tyrion; Tyrion talks (too much), and it causes trouble. Or is that a bit too nebulous?

Does it help to examine the discovery of the direwolf pups alongside the hatching of Daenerys' dragon eggs? The mother wolf dies at the scene of the pups' birth, but not of natural causes. Drogo dies through a series of unnatural causes as part of the "birthing" of the dragons. (The death of the magical Mirri Maz Duur is another ingredient in bringing them to life.) No one seems to ask what happened to the stag, whose antler killed the mother direwolf. Is it enough to write it off as a Baratheon metaphor? The pups are born in the snow, of course; the dragons are born in fire. Dany becomes the Mother of Dragons. Does that make the Stark children and Jon Snow the mothers and fathers of wolves? Which other "death in childbirth" stories might be useful for understanding the important symbolism and foreshadowing in this scene?

Only showing the horn and not the whole stag seems to emphasize Cersei and Joffrey's contributions to the upcoming tragedies. GRRM does a neat trick of getting the characters and readers to become fixated on the horns, we forget about the stag and the other characters who seek to bring down House Stark.

(Speaking of unseen animals, does anyone else wonder what happened to the father direwolf?)

As for the stag being more than a stand in for the Baratheons, perhaps the stag symbolizes rebellion, uprising, usurpation, or a new order. Anyone else have any ideas?

The dragons and direwolves are foils. The Starks are the parents direwolves because they do care for and raise them. However, I can't solely classify the relationship between the Starks and direwolves as parent-child because the relationships between them seem too multifaceted to limit it to one relationship. And I would argue who the parent and who is the child in the relationship isn't constant.

Julia H. and Seams, thank you for bring up those posts!

So first of all, this thread is awesome. I wanted for a long time to see an analysis of the Starks direwolves and the relation between the wargs and their direwolves.

Julia H, I agree that the introduction of the direwolves with the emphasis on Ghost is like a flag that says "Hey, that Jon Snow kid is the special one" but Bran has also a special place because he is the first POV and the one POV when they found the direwolves. He is like the "backgrounder". It's like we have already the setting of what roles the Starks kids are going to play in the story.

Then, I am also curious about this first warging experience between Ghost and Jon. Does it indicate that Jon could have the most powerful warging ability initialy ? Bran and Arya's warging ability develop because of traumatism for their bodies (Bran's coma and Arya's temporary blindness), Jon is the only one who have to go through without "traumatism help". Or is it just Ghost being a little desperate here : "hey, I'm here ! Don't leave me alone !". I'm really interested in Ghost and Jon bond because I have noticed that Jon warging ability doesn't express itself like his siblings warging abilities. I have a little theory but I guess I would talk about that later.

One more thing: Seams, I'm pretty sure that Ghost eyes are at least once described as Ruby eyes later in the books and not only as "blood red" or "garnet eyes".

Thanks! And thank you for offering this discussion and for providing the concise, focused summaries.

Interesting, I never thought about the comparisons among the mute characters. All (or at least most) of the silent characters have this duality of being vulnerable and dangerous. These characters tend to become aces up various characters sleeves, and that is particularly prominent in relation to Jon and Ghost. Also Ghost being mute ups the contrast between him and Tyrion "can't hold his tongue" Lannister. Maybe that's another reason why Ghost is uneasy around Tyrion; Tyrion talks (too much), and it causes trouble. Or is that a bit too nebulous?

This is a half-baked possibility for the Tyrion/direwolf tension, but may be one factor: Tyrion is, symbolically, a super maester. He reads books a lot and builds the biggest chain in Westeros (although he doesn't wear it around his neck). The direwolves are from the magical world, beyond the wall, and were almost relegated to legend before the Stark litter of pups was found. The ASOIAF ongoing theme of science vs. magic may be represented in the direwolf's suspicion toward Tyrion - his worldview challenges their worldview. I don't want to jump too far ahead, but we know that Shaggy Dog and Maester Lewin are in conflict, too.

Only showing the horn and not the whole stag seems to emphasize Cersei and Joffrey's contributions to the upcoming tragedies. GRRM does a neat trick of getting the characters and readers to become fixated on the horns, we forget about the stag and the other characters who seek to bring down House Stark.

(Speaking of unseen animals, does anyone else wonder what happened to the father direwolf?)

As for the stag being more than a stand in for the Baratheons, perhaps the stag symbolizes rebellion, uprising, usurpation, or a new order. Anyone else have any ideas?

My guess is that GRRM left out the father wolf because it was already hard to believe that a stag could kill one wolf, let alone two. Maybe the mother direwolf represents both Ned and Catelyn, both of whom suffer serious neck wounds when they are killed. On the other hand, the mother direwolf might represent something greater than the literal Stark parents - the whole Stark lineage? The blood of the first men? Winter? Presumably the six pups will represent a rebirth of whatever died with the mother direwolf.

The stag/doe/fawn symbolism in the books has been artful: since Joffrey and his siblings are not really Baratheons, and we know that Cersei does not consider herself to be a Baratheon, GRRM has been careful about his use of the deer-related symbols. I have another half-baked theory about why Theon was a big player in the scene with the wolf pups, though, and why his suggestion was to kill the pups. And this Theon theory (having to do with his paternity) might explain the stag symbolism at some point in the later books.

Welcome to the thread, Ellfoy!

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's theories. In the meantime

Catelyn II

Overview

Cat and Ned discuss Robert’s offer and receive a warning from Lysa.

Observations

• The fate of the mother direwolf weighs on Cat’s mind while discussing Robert’s offer with Ned.
  • The end of Summer is linked with the end of childhood.

Analysis

“You knew the man,” she said. “The king is a stranger to you.” Catelyn remembered the direwolf dead in the snow, the broken antler lodged deep in her throat. She had to make him see."

• Cat sees the dead direwolf as most readers see –foreshadowing the conflict between the Starks and Baratheons (and Lannisters). Once again she thinks of the dead direwolf as a warning of a threat to her family, but her attitude in how to handle the situation is different from when she thought of it as a warning about the dangers beyond The Wall. She is the proactive one in the discussion, and I think she feels the situation with Robert and his court is more controllable.
  • It's very poignant that Cat is the one to keep referring back to the mother direwolf.

“Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.”

• This quote from Ned is in reference to Jon, but the idea end of summer intertwining with the end of childhood will be explored in a variety ways throughout the series, and it’s something to keep in mind when discussing what Bran will name his direwolf.

Arya I

Overview

Arya leaves behind her needlework and watches a sparring session between her brothers and the princes with Jon.

Observations

• Like with Ghost and Jon, we see a deep bond between Nymeria and Arya and how Nymeria becomes Arya’s source of comfort.
  • The direwolves continue to be excluded from the royal party’s presence.

Analysis

“The wolf pup loved her, even if no one else did. They went everywhere together, and Nymeria slept in her room…If Mother had not forbidden it, Arya would gladly have taken the wolf with her to needlework. Let Septa Mordane complain about her stitches then.”

• Arya and Nymeria have a strong bond, and unlike her place in the family, Arya doesn’t doubt it.
  • The direwolves have been kept away from the welcoming feast, not allowed in the sewing circle, and there is no reference to Grey Wind and Summer in the practice yard, so they probably weren’t there either. It appears Cat and Ned are trying to limit the exposure of the direwolves to the royal party. Did they just deem it to be prudent, or has Cersei made her displeasure about the direwolves known?
  • I wonder what would have happened if Grey Wind and Summer had been in the yard with the boys? Would the direwolves have attacked?
  • Like Jon, Arya considers weaponizing her direwolf.

“[Nymeria] She had yellow eyes. When they caught the sunlight, they gleamed like two yellow coins. “

• The gold coin simile is curious because I tend to associate gold coins more with the Lannisters. However, coins will end being an important motif in Arya’s arc, so it makes sense to see it in Nymeria’s description.

“Arya had named her after the warrior queen of Rhoyne, who had led her people across the sea. That had been a great scandal too. Sansa of course named her pup ‘Lady.’”

• Who turned it into a scandal? My guess is Septa Mordane. What makes the name Nymeria so objectionable? Is it because Queen Nymeria didn’t stick to Westerosi gender norms, or is it because she was from Rhoyne? If Nymeria isn’t highly regarded in the North, did that influence Arya when she was picking out a name?

“Nymeria stalked closer on wary feet. Ghost, already larger than his litter mates, smelled her, gave her ear a careful nip, and settled down.”

• Ghost being the largest provides more evidence of both Jon and Ghost growing up fast and reinforces the idea that Jon’s childhood is ending from Catelyn II.

“He [Jon] messed up her hair again, Ghost moving silently beside him. Nymeria started to follow too, then stopped and came back when she saw Arya was not coming."

• The relationship of Nymeria and Ghost mirrors that of Arya and Jon. It brings me back to the question of whether Ghost was driven out. If he was driven out, there no longer seems to be hostile relationship between Ghost and the other direwolves now. Did the relationship among the direwolves change when each Stark adopted a wolf and began reflect their masters’ personalities, or does the difference just no longer matter to the direwolves? (Assuming it ever did).
  • Ghost is someone Nymeria is willing to follow, just like Jon is one of the few people Arya listens to.
  • Once again we do see the direwolf’s bond to its owner come before the direwolf’s personal inclinations.

Harlaw's Book the Sequel, thanks for the post on the next chapters! Before adding my two cents to that, I'd like to address some of the points made earlier.

I assume Ghost the pup was separate from the siblings as symbol of Jon's separation from Catelyn: the five dark pups are suckling as best they can, but Ghost is not part of the group at the mother direwolf's body. This fits the plot: up until Jon goes to the wall and Catelyn goes to King's Landing, a lot of her character exposition is all about her resentment of Jon - she's kind of hard to like, in my opinion, perhaps like the fragrant corpse of the dead direwolf.

I agree that this underscores your point about the mystery of Ghost's status in relation to this litter as well.

Some comments on other threads might help to explain the importance of Ghost's red eyes. Forum participant butterbumps! wrote an excellent summary of Jon and Ghost's symbolism in the thread dedicated to the Ice and Fire Animal Project. The relevant lines about Ghost's eyes emphasize that they are not just any old red eyes:

Additional insight:

This reminded me of discussion of fruit symbolism in the Food Code of Ice and Fire thread (sorry - I don't have a direct link). There seemed to be consensus that pomegranates were usually associated with Daenerys (although LF tries to get Sansa to eat one at a breakfast at the Eyrie).

I've wondered about the significance of the fact that Tyrion is jumping off a wall when he meets Jon Snow for the first time. Since Jon is all about The Wall, does this foreshadow a future role for Tyrion in somehow coming over the big wall? If so, Ghost's response may be foreshadowing a battle or some other breach in the defenses.

Welcome to the discussion! I really like your observations. I agree that, like Jon, Ghost will also become a watcher (on the Wall). Yet, just like Jon, he will also be an active player, not only a watcher. Anyway, Ghost does not seem to miss out on anything due to his silence. He can communicate using gestures and by telepathy, “sensing” or warging.

Death in childbirth: I think the most significant death in this respect is Lyanna's death after giving birth to her child. The father was also absent (and dead) there. On a different note, finding and saving a helpless / orphan (baby) animal sounds like a familiar fairy tale motif. It is typically what the hero does, and the animal will usually give him magical help in return. These animals often speak with the voice of humans. Ghost being silent may be a twist to that motif.

Good point about the stag. I have always assumed that the stag met a gruesome end, too, after losing its antlers, though there is no mention of its dead body nearby. But it must have been at least wounded. If it's a metaphor for House Baratheon, it is more likely to be wounded than dead.

I was also wondering about garnets and pomegranates, but I confess the only thing the pomegranate reminded me of was Bowen Marsh, and I couldn't detect any deeper meaning of a connection between Marsh and Ghost's eyes.

The dragons and direwolves are foils. The Starks are the parents direwolves because they do care for and raise them. However, I can't solely classify the relationship between the Starks and direwolves as parent-child because the relationships between them seem too multifaceted to limit it to one relationship. And I would argue who the parent and who is the child in the relationship isn't constant.

Julia H. and Seams, thank you for bring up those posts!

Truth be told, the stag to me tends to signify the continual fight for dominance – mating rights in the case of Robert, territorial rights in the case of Stannis.

So first of all, this thread is awesome. I wanted for a long time to see an analysis of the Starks direwolves and the relation between the wargs and their direwolves.

Julia H, I agree that the introduction of the direwolves with the emphasis on Ghost is like a flag that says "Hey, that Jon Snow kid is the special one" but Bran has also a special place because he is the first POV and the one POV when they found the direwolves. He is like the "backgrounder". It's like we have already the setting of what roles the Starks kids are going to play in the story.

Then, I am also curious about this first warging experience between Ghost and Jon. Does it indicate that Jon could have the most powerful warging ability initialy ? Bran and Arya's warging ability develop because of traumatism for their bodies (Bran's coma and Arya's temporary blindness), Jon is the only one who have to go through without "traumatism help". Or is it just Ghost being a little desperate here : "hey, I'm here ! Don't leave me alone !". I'm really interested in Ghost and Jon bond because I have noticed that Jon warging ability doesn't express itself like his siblings warging abilities. I have a little theory but I guess I would talk about that later.

One more thing: Seams, I'm pretty sure that Ghost eyes are at least once described as Ruby eyes later in the books and not only as "blood red" or "garnet eyes".

Welcome, Ellfoy, it's great to see you on this thread!

I'm really curious about your theory... :) With regard to warging, it is said that the “gift” in Jon is very strong. But I've also wondered if the warging ability of the animals can be different as well. Ghost crawling away and then drawing Jon's attention to himself may even be purposeful. Each of the Stark children seems to choose (more or less) his or her own direwolf, but Ghost has apparently reserved the right to choose his own Stark, and he chooses Jon.

We must watch out for those “Ruby eyes” then, as we read. :)

Archived