The Doom of Valyria- Any Chance?

Blue Roses

• 2 weeks later...

I get that in GRRM's geo-historico-political pick'n'mix, the Doom is very much Pompeii... with added magical fallout.

Just a thought... the Others are ice beings (as far as we know)... what if there's a fire equivalent? fire wights? Burning Others? etc?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Doom of Valyria was caused when too much internet speculation shook the freehold and a series of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes nuked the city and the toxic waters left by the Volcano left a smoking sea of folks who think they know better than the author of the series.

• 2 months later...

The way it's described the Doom was an earthquake/volcano

You know nothing TheImpDaddy.

EDIT: I can't believe so many people think it was just a volcanic eruption. Demons now occupy the area, the sky is still red, the water still boils, and Euron is the only one who has supposedly returned from Valyria. Something much bigger happened.

I just assumed from what I read that it was an particularly powerful volcano eruption/explosion? Wouldn't that cover everything that we have read about the Doom?

Read my post above

Just a thought... the Others are ice beings (as far as we know)... what if there's a fire equivalent? fire wights? Burning Others? etc?

How about UnCat and Beric they are the fire god zombies just like wights are the other god zombies, although r'hllor and the other god are complete opposites ( r´hllor is fire, light and his worshippers live on the south other is ice, darkness and his followers live north) they both seem to fancy zombies

How about UnCat and Beric they are the fire god zombies just like wights are the other god zombies, although r'hllor and the other god are complete opposites ( r´hllor is fire, light and his worshippers live on the south other is ice, darkness and his followers live north) they both seem to fancy zombies

I like where you are going with this, and we know that the wights in the north are not completely without intelligence just as Beric and Uncat, as seen with the wights that went after The Old Bear. Coldhands seems to be a "fancy zombie" of some sort too, but whether he is a wight under the three-eyed crow's control or has some free will of his own I can't say.

As for the Doom this has been a serious source of curiosity for me, along with the Shadow Lands and general geography of Martin's world. The depth of his world, its cultures, and rich history is really one of the things that makes this series in my eyes. I love his characters, but they are placed in a world that is so detailed that it feels real and believable. Simply amazing.

You know nothing TheImpDaddy.

EDIT: I can't believe so many people think it was just a volcanic eruption. Demons now occupy the area, the sky is still red, the water still boils, and Euron is the only one who has supposedly returned from Valyria. Something much bigger happened.

The fact that "demons" occupy the area is a very dubious assertion - based on 2nd and 3rd hand information given in the POV chapters. It might be true, or false, or some other supernatural phenomena interpreted as 'demons'. And given that GRRM's portrayal of magic and supernatural events don't seem to follow the standard fantasy descriptions, I don't know what exactly a "demon" would mean in this case.

The rest of it can easily be explained by continuous volcanic eruptions. Something else is likely also going on, but I'm not sure "demons" is the right explanation.

The fact that "demons" occupy the area is a very dubious assertion - based on 2nd and 3rd hand information given in the POV chapters. It might be true, or false, or some other supernatural phenomena interpreted as 'demons'. And given that GRRM's portrayal of magic and supernatural events don't seem to follow the standard fantasy descriptions, I don't know what exactly a "demon" would mean in this case.

The rest of it can easily be explained by continuous volcanic eruptions. Something else is likely also going on, but I'm not sure "demons" is the right explanation.

I don't believe they are actual demons, as people say. But these stories must have developed off of something. Perhaps people who survived but have become deformed and crazed? The point--the demon story would not have developed from just a volcanic eruption.

1) The doom - pretty obvious volcanic activity. The available descriptions scream that!

2) The demons - well, IIRC the Norse used to think Iceland was inhabited by trolls. What's to say that the demon part is not simply folklore?

3) Irregular seasons - seasons on earth only differ because the planet is 23 degrees off alignment to its orbit. Which means the both halves get fluctuating amounts of exposure as earth goes from one end of the orbit to the other and back again. If the world of ice and fire was perpendicular to the axis of its orbit, there would be no seasons in the classic sense, which leaves us open to various hypotheses. My guess would be solar activity changes.

Also, I think half of the Valyrian magic is actually not magic. Roads of melted stone? Asphalt. Valyrian steel? Possibly a titanium alloy. You get the point.

P.S. Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd.

1) The doom - pretty obvious volcanic activity. The available descriptions scream that!

2) The demons - well, IIRC the Norse used to think Iceland was inhabited by trolls. What's to say that the demon part is not simply folklore?

3) Irregular seasons - seasons on earth only differ because the planet is 23 degrees off alignment to its orbit. Which means the both halves get fluctuating amounts of exposure as earth goes from one end of the orbit to the other and back again. If the world of ice and fire was perpendicular to the axis of its orbit, there would be no seasons in the classic sense, which leaves us open to various hypotheses. My guess would be solar activity changes.

Also, I think half of the Valyrian magic is actually not magic. Roads of melted stone? Asphalt. Valyrian steel? Possibly a titanium alloy. You get the point.

P.S. Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd.

I don't think Valyrian steel is titanium alloy, it bears a resemblance to Damascus steel with the ripples and legendary strength and sharpness.

GRRM said the seasons lasting for years is due to magic.

As for the demons, I agree with you in being skeptical, they may be just sailor stories, but at the same time this where we have the Others, beings made of ice, maybe there could be beings that are to fire as the Others are to ice.

Archived