Formula 1 - 2015 Ferrari Rising

The BlackBear

I think even he was disappointed to leave endurance racing for this.

If he doesn't have a drive next year I wouldn't blame him for leaving the sport. Unfortunate timing for him as I could see Honda liking a Japanese driver on their team. Wonder if there are any other up and coming Japanese drivers?

I guess the positive coming out of Marussia not running in Austin is that Alexander Rossi is going to be that much more likely to sign with Haas in 2016. It was probably likely either way but there was an outside possibility that Marussia would try to keep him if they ever actually ran him in one of their cars. Sucks that the USGP will still have no home rooting interest for another year. 2016 can't come soon enough... :frown5:

I guess the positive coming out of Marussia not running in Austin is that Alexander Rossi is going to be that much more likely to sign with Haas in 2016. It was probably likely either way but there was an outside possibility that Marussia would try to keep him if they ever actually ran him in one of their cars. Sucks that the USGP will still have no home rooting interest for another year. 2016 can't come soon enough... :frown5:

I guess we don't really know if Marussia are going to make it to Abu Dhabi, but if they do presumably he'd be driving the car there, although given Marussia's precarious financial situation I doubt they're signing any drivers for long-term contracts anyway. I don't know much about Rossi, but I'd question whether signing for Haas would be the best career movie for a rookie driver anyway, even if they manage to do better than Caterham/Marussia/HRT did in the long term I can't imagine them being competitive in their first year.

Hamilton can actually still win if he gets only 2nd in both Brazil and Abu Dhabi (he'd end with 372 whilst Rosberg would get to 367, assuming he wins both). The double points for the final race is for all the drivers, not just the winner, so Hamilton can still win the championship even if he doesn't win the race.

But he can still lose by a point even if he wins in Brazil. What are the odds that Nico parks his car if Hamilton's car has an issue in Abu Dhabi? I certainly wouldn't want to win in that fashion having won less than half the races of my primary competitor but that's just me. It would have been better had they put this rule in place for multiple races at the end of the season instead of just one. Or just not done this at all. There are other means of creating excitement at the end of a season. I'd even prefer NASCAR's model to this and I don't really watch much NASCAR. I prefer open wheelers.

E2A: I agree with Hamilton, they need to bring back the Pirelli Stetsons when they go to Austin. That should be a tradition. It is Texas.

If Rosberg gets a legitimate chance to win the championship, he'd be a fool not to try it. Hamilton may deserve it twice as much as Nico does (IMHO), but that doesn't mean he should just lie down and let Hamilton take it. He'd be ridiculous forever. Button gets kudo's for being a weltmeister when he did nothing remarkable with a spectacular car. Nobody remembers the circumstabces now, just the fact that he won the WC.

Besides, anyone in a competitive business will want to win as much as he can, or he should join a goodwill-outfit.

ETA: i support the "not at all" position [emoji6]

But he can still lose by a point even if he wins in Brazil. What are the odds that Nico parks his car if Hamilton's car has an issue in Abu Dhabi? I certainly wouldn't want to win in that fashion having won less than half the races of my primary competitor but that's just me. It would have been better had they put this rule in place for multiple races at the end of the season instead of just one. Or just not done this at all. There are other means of creating excitement at the end of a season. I'd even prefer NASCAR's model to this and I don't really watch much NASCAR. I prefer open wheelers.

E2A: I agree with Hamilton, they need to bring back the Pirelli Stetsons when they go to Austin. That should be a tradition. It is Texas.

Be careful what you wish for. In two of the past four NASCAR races, fights have broken out after two of the past for races. The past weekend involved a brawl on Pit Road. this is all because of the current system they have in place.

while the whole double points thing is a travesty - I'd be disappointed if Rosberg didn't take the chance to win. It'd be a hollow victory but he can join the others in saying it's a stupid system as a totem for why it is stupid.

If Hamilton doesn't finish the next race (could happen) - it means the double points don't affect the championship. That would be a relief.

I haven't even tried to think how the double points throughout the field could determine where everyone ultimately winds up. Something tells me there'll be a graphic shortly after the final race showing us the scores with and without double points.

At this point, virtually nothing Rosberg does matters, given the dominance of the Mercedes. If Hamilton has a DNF, Rosberg can win. If not, he can't.

Rosberg can even win by coming 2nd to Hamilton in Brazil and coming second in Abu Dhabi with a Hamilton DNF. 4 wins to 11. Imagine that.

At this point, virtually nothing Rosberg does matters, given the dominance of the Mercedes. If Hamilton has a DNF, Rosberg can win. If not, he can't.

Rosberg can even win by coming 2nd to Hamilton in Brazil and coming second in Abu Dhabi with a Hamilton DNF. 4 wins to 11. Imagine that.

Makes a mockery of the idea that 25 points for a win was supposed to encourage drivers to win races rather than settle for second. Guess it helps when the other driver not finishing means you are almost guaranteed first though.

while the whole double points thing is a travesty - I'd be disappointed if Rosberg didn't take the chance to win. It'd be a hollow victory but he can join the others in saying it's a stupid system as a totem for why it is stupid.

I'm sure Rosberg would prefer not to win purely because of the double points but I'm also sure he'll take it without the slightest hesitation if it is what is on offer.

That would still be 4 times the number of wins Keke Rosberg managed on the way to his world championship, consistency must be something that runs in the family.

I'm sure Rosberg would prefer not to win purely because of the double points but I'm also sure he'll take it without the slightest hesitation if it is what is on offer.

That would still be 4 times the number of wins Keke Rosberg managed on the way to his world championship, consistency must be something that runs in the family.

consistency consistently runs through the family?

For all we know, this maybe Rosberg's only chance at the World Championship. If the oppertunity presents itself, he needs to take it.

This is a guy who drove his team mate off the track mid-season and I'm still of the opinion he parked the car in Monaco qualifying too - of course he'll take the championship by any means necessary. Hamilton needs to avoid him (or give him the place) in the final race.

This is a guy who drove his team mate off the track mid-season and I'm still of the opinion he parked the car in Monaco qualifying too - of course he'll take the championship by any means necessary. Hamilton needs to avoid him (or give him the place) in the final race.

If there's one thing Hamilton can't afford it's a DNF. I'd say that if he wins in Brazil, then it makes it an easy decision to merely avoid Rosberg altogether since he'll only need to place 5th at that point. Don't want to damage a wing or anything. But I think he still needs to go for the win in the next race to make it as easy as possible with the double points. But you're right, a desperate Rosberg can be dangerous. It's like Titor Ortiz said, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

If there's one thing Hamilton can't afford it's a DNF. I'd say that if he wins in Brazil, then it makes it an easy decision to merely avoid Rosberg altogether since he'll only need to place 5th at that point. Don't want to damage a wing or anything. But I think he still needs to go for the win in the next race to make it as easy as possible with the double points. But you're right, a desperate Rosberg can be dangerous. It's like Titor Ortiz said, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

After the dramatic last lap the year Hamilton won the Championship by one point I doubt he'll be relaxing at all until victory is certain. The best way to avoid incidents is usually to be leading, so I agree he'll probably try to go for the win.

Be careful what you wish for. In two of the past four NASCAR races, fights have broken out after two of the past for races. The past weekend involved a brawl on Pit Road. this is all because of the current system they have in place.

True. But then again, NASCAR under France has heavily promoted the personalities of their drivers and so they know that pretty much anything goes. F1 and the teams don't seem to have that attitude so the drivers follow suit. As long as the confrontations are within the realm of "competitive fire" and don't seem to get personal NASCAR pretty much looks the other way.

Totally agree. It's the last race he has to be careful in.

Love your avatar by the way - ages sinces I've seen SAC. Probably overdue a rewatch.

Archived