Rugby - RIP Jonah Lomu.

The Anti-Targ

I was fairly disappointed with England's performance in the forwards last week but it was their first warm up game at the start of the new season, it's a bit of a leap from it was a poor performance to their pack being 'no good'.I'm not sure why we're excluding the Premiership from winning anything either but Haskell's won a Heineken Cup. Haskell, Cole, Wood, Youngs and Care have all won a Six Nations as well.

Perhaps I tipped into hyperbole alright! My comments on England wrote a lot more tongue in cheek than they read. We just sense a lot of nervousness from our English friends on this side of the Irish sea and i thought I'd stir it! Forgot 2011. Got that wrong in a pub quiz recently also. Stand by leadership comments. You have good players but nobody is leading. Robshaw seems like a nice guy but he's no Johnson, o'Connell, pelous. He's not scaring anyone, opposition or his own guys. Excluding premiership because its not international.

Good game between Ireland and Wales today. It was probably a slightly weaker Irish side so although they won't be too happy with losing it's probably a complete disaster for them. Still a good performance from Wales though, Tipuric was excellent and they'll be pretty pleased with how Tom Francis held up at tighthead which was looking like a real concern for them.

So, Wales shaded it with tipuric motm. A pity for him, that warbs is captain. On Irish side, I'd say Henderson played himself into first 15, sexton looks rusty, Dave Kearney was game, Jordi Murphy clearly not a 7, big hits by earls and thankfully not seriously injured. Fitz was unconvincing at 13. Henshaw sharp. Next week v England now very interesting. Neither side wants to lose momentum wise. Final squads will be picked by then. Playing for Rwc starting positions!

Well that more than made up for the last Scotland - Italy game at Murrayfield I went to. That's got to be some kind of record for us right?

I was at that one as well. Soul crushingly uninspiring.

And yes a record against Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_matches_between_Italy_and_Scotland

I believe the largest victory margin was 92 against Japan in 2004. 100-8

Slade picked ahead of Sapoaga as the 3rd 1st-five for the ABs? Probably the only pick I really disagree with for the AB RWC squad. I figure Slade will only get a run on for the minnow matches and if Carter or Beaudy get injured.

Strong Irish team out against the Angles on Saturday. Full strength really except for no Kearney at 15. Its an interesting call. They say he has a bruised knee but was able to train. Will be very interested to see how Zebo goes. Theres obviously enormous pressure on England to win at a sold out Twickers heading in to a home world cup. Expect a physical encounter, and with Lawes playing, someones gonna get injured. Both teams will not want to show their hands, so direct rugby. Tight as always between these two in recent years, but expect English to edge it, they cannot afford not to. 

I was at that one as well. Soul crushingly uninspiring.

And yes a record against Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_matches_between_Italy_and_Scotland
I believe the largest victory margin was 92 against Japan in 2004. 100-8

Had the pleasure of being at the Japan match as well as last Saturday against Italy.

The England team for Saturday's game against Ireland. Wood and Parling in, presumably as a reaction to how poor the set piece has been and Barritt into what is presumably the first choice midfield although it probably wouldn't be my choice. England really need a significantly improved performance from the pack and, hopefully, for the centre partnership to gel quickly. They'll probably need a better performance from the back three in particular under the high ball than they got in the Six Nations as well. On the plus side if they do get a decent performance from the starting XV there are a lot of big ball carriers on the bench to provide impact later in the game.

Unfortunately I'm playing when the game's on and since I'll be at a rugby club the chances of avoiding the score seem slim which is a bit of a pain in the arse. Whose idea was it to play at 3 o'clock on a Saturday the first week of the rugby season?

Good result for England. They probably should have won more comfortably and the set piece still wasn't perfect but after the last game to largely control the game and be slightly disappointed with the margin of victory against a good Ireland side was a real boost. The forwards were a lot better in terms of getting over the gainline in attack and with front foot ball the backs looked sharp again.

On the other hand I think Ireland will be a bit concerned with that. They've got a relatively light start to the World Cup so no need to panic but for most of the game they looked pretty blunt in attack and vulnerable in defence, Murray going off isn't really what they wanted to see with only two 9s in their squad either.

Apparently both Halfpenny and Webb picked up what looked like serious injuries in the Wales game as well. Losing them would be a massive blow for Wales.

Not worried really. We're looking to peak around October 11 and word is they're still on a very heavy physical programme which may account for apparent lethargy. England obviously targeting earlier. The relief on the sky commentary was comical. However, very bad first half. Tommy Bowe looked piss poor, sexton still a mile off, back row disappointing, lot of falling off tackles . Plus side, very happy with scrum and line out. If I was English I'd be worried about set piece. Good stick to beat lads in video review sessions, although if henshaw had managed to keep that pass flat or back to Zebo in 2nd half I'd imagine things would be different. Nice cheap shot elbow from lawes on henshaw during that incident. Hear it's being cited.

Not worried really. We're looking to peak around October 11 and word is they're still on a very heavy physical programme which may account for apparent lethargy. England obviously targeting earlier. The relief on the sky commentary was comical. However, very bad first half. Tommy Bowe looked piss poor, sexton still a mile off, back row disappointing, lot of falling off tackles . Plus side, very happy with scrum and line out. If I was English I'd be worried about set piece. Good stick to beat lads in video review sessions, although if henshaw had managed to keep that pass flat or back to Zebo in 2nd half I'd imagine things would be different. Nice cheap shot elbow from lawes on henshaw during that incident. Hear it's being cited.

Archived