Rugby - RIP Jonah Lomu.

The Anti-Targ

Are we keeping this thread for the RWC? Or starting a new one?

Either way, first "Team's Up" of the tournie

England: Mike Brown (Harlequins); Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby); George Ford (Bath Rugby); Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers); Joe Marler (Harlequins), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Geoff Parling (Exeter Chiefs), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (capt, Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby).
Replacements: Rob Webber (Bath Rugby), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Sam Burgess (Bath Rugby).

We might as well just keep this thread I think.

No great surprises with the England team. Morgan and May looked good in the warm up games and probably get in on the back of that, Wood certainly and probably Parling look necessary for their work in the lineout.

The only real issue I have is Burgess on the bench. If he has to come on for anyone other that Barritt the midfield looks a bit dodgy.

Yeah, no real issues with the 15.
Bench hooker and backs though...
How did Webber work his way back past George? Rob's 11 months out of form and comfortably 3rd choice of the 3. Hopefully that's just everyone gets abgame, and our reserve hooker won't be making a difference against Fiji.
Those backs... gods help us if we get to the last 1/4 at 2 scores down and look to the backs to turn things around. Wriggle wouldn't be my choice, but fair enough. Farrell has been talked about enough, I just don't see as a valid bench player, he should start or stay at home; acceptable given that Slade is just too inexperienced in the event of a Ford injury after 5 minutes.
Given those 2, then someone needs to provide game-changing impact, and cover 13-15. Unfortunately Burt declined to take any impactful back-up backs beyond Burgess, I'd still prefer cover to putting up with Burgess then, Slade or Nowell should have that 23 shirt.

Either way, that's not a decision that will be changing this result, though it may for the next 2 weekends.

Bench hooker and backs though...
How did Webber work his way back past George? Rob's 11 months out of form and comfortably 3rd choice of the 3. Hopefully that's just everyone gets abgame, and our reserve hooker won't be making a difference against Fiji.

I'd have gone with George. I'd probably have given George more game time in the warm ups to try and see if he's a viable option to start ahead of Youngs. Having said that it is the World Cup, I can see why they'd be reluctant to go with a player whose previous international experience is two substitute appearances in warm up games which probably weren't really full international level intensity.

I'm pondering whether to sneak off work early on Friday to watch the Opening Ceremony, or have a more relaxing journey and get there in time for the match. Obviously, the ceremony will be embarrassing and tedious, but with the price of the tickets, I somehow feel I'm morally obligated to subject myself to it.

One of my patient delighted in telling me that he's got 4 tickets to all England's matches, all NZ's matches, all matches hosted at Gloucester, both QFs England could be involved in, both SFs, 3rd place and the final.

Bastard. And yes, I'm sure some of those clash, but he said he was giving tickets away to sons and nephews.

Yeah, I didn't go in for tickets in the early draw because I was a bit pissed off with how expensive they were/how few games there are up North so I haven't got any England tickets which I'm regretting a bit now.

Speaking of tickets, due to a succession of people dropping out on me I might have a spare ticket for the Australia-Fiji game next Wednesday. If I've still got it next week and anyone's in the Cardiff area you're welcome to it if you want it.

So, this wouldn't be a good time to mention the other England tickets and the ones for the Final?

Come on England!

There's a brave English lad. You will forgive me if I hope your optimism isn't rewarded. But for the sake of the tournament I kinda do hope England makes it through the pool stage. It's always a tough call who to prefer when it comes down to England or Aussie making it through.

Yeah, I didn't go in for tickets in the early draw because I was a bit pissed off with how expensive they were/how few games there are up North so I haven't got any England tickets which I'm regretting a bit now.

Speaking of tickets, due to a succession of people dropping out on me I might have a spare ticket for the Australia-Fiji game next Wednesday. If I've still got it next week and anyone's in the Cardiff area you're welcome to it if you want it.

Hmmm, If you can spare me some change for the flight I'd be keen. 

So, I think the Hakarena is less culturally cringeworthy than the adoption of a slave song as a point of inspiration for the English rugby team.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/72112380/former-england-halfback-matt-dawson-mocks-all-blacks-with-the-hakarena

As for the French, they've made as many RWC finals as anyone, so never count them out.

How much? Reason I didn't get any tickets is the crazy prices in the first place.

I've only managed to get tickets for the Scotland USA game and only then because a yank friends bought a bunch of tickets for the group. I tried to go on and get some tickets for the Samoa game but the prices and the goddamn website were a nightmare. 

Plus USA game is only In Leeds so it should make for a pleasant slightly drunk train journey down.

If anyone is interested I thought I'd set up a fantasy league for the World Cup. I used the ESPN fantasy league. It's pretty easy to play, just pick a team and you get points for trys and assists and lose them for cards etc. Here's a link to the site and the league pin is 1130559-12667.

• 1 month later...

Archived