Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

I disagree with this. I thought all north of the Wall was fine, I can't anything of particular fault with S2 except for Qarth. I didn't find the Qarth stuff anything but awkward not awful. In fact Dany's episodes 1 and 2 of S2 where just fine, as was episode 10.
So a lot of season 2 was excellent excluding Blackwater.

I agree.  Season 2 is unfairly maligned.  They didn't do a very good job w/the halfhand, but they shortchanged the wall for quite a few seasons.  Qarth was not that bad, I mean, compared to Dorne it was a Shakespeare.  Season 2, episodes 1, 9 and 10 I thought were excellent, can't remember the rest of them.  Arya and Tywin were excellent.

I agree.  Season 2 is unfairly maligned.  They didn't do a very good job w/the halfhand, but they shortchanged the wall for quite a few seasons.  Qarth was not that bad, I mean, compared to Dorne it was a Shakespeare.  Season 2, episodes 1, 9 and 10 I thought were excellent, can't remember the rest of them.  Arya and Tywin were excellent.

That's the point I was trying to make, sort of. There were parts I found really bad (North of the Wall and Qarth. And ugh, Talisa). And maybe one or two high points (like the Blackwater episode). But aside from that it's very, well, forgettable. I don't rank it he worst, but I don't think it was particularly good as a whole either.

That's the point I was trying to make, sort of. There were parts I found really bad (North of the Wall and Qarth. And ugh, Talisa). And maybe one or two high points (like the Blackwater episode). But aside from that it's very, well, forgettable. I don't rank it he worst, but I don't think it was particularly good as a whole either.

I only thought season 1 was good as a whole.  I can't go along w/the majority on loving season 3 because Robb's story sent me too far over the edge, it's where I went from mildly critical to a ranter,LOL.

Season 4 had higher highs than season 2, and the premier episode was fantastic; but was really uneven, and I think it's lows were worse than season 2s lows.

So, it's hard to judge then between 2 & 4 for me, I usually go w/2 but it's a close call, I did like season 4 a lot better on rewatch outside of the handful of truly awful scenes.

I only thought season 1 was good as a whole.  I can't go along w/the majority on loving season 3 because Robb's story sent me too far over the edge, it's where I went from mildly critical to a ranter,LOL.

Season 4 had higher highs than season 2, and the premier episode was fantastic; but was really uneven, and I think it's lows were worse than season 2s lows.

So, it's hard to judge then between 2 & 4 for me, I usually go w/2 but it's a close call, I did like season 4 a lot better on rewatch outside of the handful of truly awful scenes.

I'm the same with 2 and 4, they usually change places for me. With me though it's 1, 3 (I see the problems, especially with Robb and Cat, but I could deal with it, just) then 2/4 switch places with each other from time to time, and then 5 last.

With Season 4 though I'm in a minority who didn't enjoy things like the Purple Wedding and the episode 9 Wall battle. And of course, as I've made quite clear in the past, I hate everything about Bran's storyline in Season 4 :p So more often than not I'd edge Season 2 into third place, but it's certainly close between those two IMO. The others are pretty set in stone for me though.

I'm the same with 2 and 4, they usually change places for me. With me though it's 1, 3 (I see the problems, especially with Robb and Cat, but I could deal with it, just) then 2/4 switch places with each other from time to time, and then 5 last.

With Season 4 though I'm in a minority who didn't enjoy things like the Purple Wedding and the episode 9 Wall battle. And of course, as I've made quite clear in the past, I hate everything about Bran's storyline in Season 4 :P So more often than not I'd edge Season 2 into third place, but it's certainly close between those two IMO. The others are pretty set in stone for me though.

I liked the Purple Wedding, minus Brienne standing in front of Sansa 15 feet away and not talking to her.

I thought the ep. 9 really dragged and too much Sam, but that's my personal bias since I became sick of him in Dance and never liked Gilly [I guess it's a tribute to the show that I dislike show Gilly also], it suffered from the wall having been short changed the previous seasons.

Ah, yes, Bran's story, they did a bad job with that, why do you remind me???? How I was so happy they cast the Reeds only to waste them.  And poor Locke turned idiot and then the fireballs?!??!?! 

I should probably rewatch season 3, to see how it hits me now; but there is so much Talisa....I want to scream and kill her myself whenever she's on screen.  I've said before, I was happy and cheered to myself when she finally died, it was the only good thing about the show wedding.

With Season 4 though I'm in a minority who didn't enjoy things like the Purple Wedding and the episode 9 Wall battle. And of course, as I've made quite clear in the past, I hate everything about Bran's storyline in Season 4 :p So more often than not I'd edge Season 2 into third place, but it's certainly close between those two IMO. The others are pretty set in stone for me though.

I'm more or less of the same opinion. But while I didn't like S 2 much, s 4 will always rank below 2 for me because I really hated some things, especially the ones you've mentioned: PW, the Battle at CB, and most of all Bran's storyline - all of it, Meera and Osha's cat fight, the CotF being turned into little kids, fireballz, and BR with both his normal-coloured eyes.
Also, Arya and Tywin, wasn't that s 3? Can't remember, but despite the fact that the scenes are good - excellent acting, etc - I truly hated them. It messed with Arya's arc, and it painted Tywin in a sort of flattering light that I only truly understood later on.

I still don't know what was wrong with north of the Wall. I was ok with the Talisa story , it just was different from the book.
Arya's interaction with Tywin and Jaqen was fine.
Nothing wrong with story in King's Landing.
Stormlands, fine, Iron Islands, better than fine, Westerlands fine, Dragonstone , fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived