Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

I don't see how anyone with a straight face could claim that season 4 was a massive step down from season 2

if season 4 is what a step down from season 2 looks like

I hope they never step up again lol

*straight face* I thought season two was mostly great with some annoying/plodding parts. I thought season four was partially brilliant, with some annoying/plodding parts and some choices so egregiously terrible that they negatively impacted the characters and series as a whole. 4 averages out a lot lower for me.

The fourth season is the easiest to watch and rewatch because the source material is filled with moments that make awesome TV, so the season was basically "What happens next?". But taken as a whole, plotwise, it's equal to season 2 in my opinion.

Really surprised at the opinions here. For me season 2 was the most consistent season and season 4 is the worst because although it had some of the most brilliant scenes of the whole series it also had some of the worst. Number one being the Tyrion/Jamie beetles farce.

And with all the potential changes in S5 i'm pretty nervous for the new one.

I'd go 2 1 3 4

Almost done binging the series again. Noticing 4 to be a little slow during the first half of the season, I expect the last 5 episodes to be killer though.

Really hard to rate them all even though I just binged watched them, because season 1 was 25 hours worth of TV ago.

I'll say 3 - 4 - 1 - 2.

3 Was really well done, decently faithful with a lot of characters to be emotionally involved in: Rob, Jaime, Arya, Dany (because she kicked ass this season), Jon. 4 brought on a good pace with episode 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10 being stellar, changed up the game a good amount. Season 1 ends up being great from ned and Robert alone, those two worked great together. 2 Was great as well, I enjoyed Tyrion and all the little details, but it wasn't as eventful.

Almost done binging the series again. Noticing 4 to be a little slow during the first half of the season, I expect the last 5 episodes to be killer though.

Really hard to rate them all even though I just binged watched them, because season 1 was 25 hours worth of TV ago.

I'll say 3 - 4 - 1 - 2.

3 Was really well done, decently faithful with a lot of characters to be emotionally involved in: Rob, Jaime, Arya, Dany (because she kicked ass this season), Jon. 4 brought on a good pace with episode 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10 being stellar, changed up the game a good amount. Season 1 ends up being great from ned and Robert alone, those two worked great together. 2 Was great as well, I enjoyed Tyrion and all the little details, but it wasn't as eventful.

Did you mean 6 instead of 5 for the stellar season 4 episodes?

There is a vast divide between two kinds of people on this forum and what they consider quality television.

First, there's the group like me who think Season 4 was the most superior and re-watchable season. It had big moment after big moment. It had the best pacing. It broke the formula of building up to a episode 9 climax. It had a number of great performances by its main and supporting cast, probably better than season 1. Oh and yes, there were some deviations from the book. This is the main reason why another group of people on here find S4 to be the weakest. They don't look at the show as its own entity and find deviations from the book to be unforgivable. I find this quite hilarious.

Like most people I find S2 to be the weakest season, but do most of us agree overall, compared to other shows, it's still a great season of television?

There is a vast divide between two kinds of people on this forum and what they consider quality television.

First, there's the group like me who think Season 4 was the most superior and re-watchable season. It had big moment after big moment. It had the best pacing. It broke the formula of building up to a episode 9 climax. It had a number of great performances by its main and supporting cast, probably better than season 1. Oh and yes, there were some deviations from the book. This is the main reason why another group of people on here find S4 to be the weakest. They don't look at the show as its own entity and find deviations from the book to be unforgivable. I find this quite hilarious.

Like most people I find S2 to be the weakest season, but do most of us agree overall, compared to other shows, it's still a great season of television?

How do figure it did that? The battle for the Wall was the big episode like every other penultimate episode from the other seasons.

There is an interview with Liam Cunningham where he says that episodes 8-10 were the climaxof seson 4 and that the show is not likely to return to the 'episode 9 climax format in future seasons'.

http://watchersonthewall.com/interviews-with-liam-cunningham-carice-van-houten-and-lena-headey/

Seasons 3 and 4 are good television on their own. I agree that most people who complain about the show are readers who go 'but in the books...'

Season 1 was the only consistent season in terms of quality. It was awesome from start to finish. S2-4 have all had high highs and low lows.

Some Highs:

Arya and Tywin

The Red Wedding

Battle of the Wall

Jaime and Catelyn

Jaime and Brienne

The Purple Wedding

Some Lows:

Jon Snow's entire arc beyond the Wall

Robb and Talisa

The Mountain vs The Viper (enjoyable to watch but could have been so much more)

Daenerys 99% of the time

How do figure it did that? The battle for the Wall was the big episode like every other penultimate episode from the other seasons.

Joffrey's death In episode 2. The aftermath that followed that event. Tyrion's trial. LF killing Lysa. The Mountain vs the Viper, and the best finale of the entire series. Season 4 was not focused on building up to the battle at the wall like S2 was focused on building towards Blackwater. There was so much more.

Joffrey's death In episode 2. The aftermath that followed that event. Tyrion's trial. LF killing Lysa. The Mountain vs the Viper, and the best finale of the entire series. Season 4 was not focused on building up to the battle at the wall like S2 was focused on building towards Blackwater. There was so much more.

The books dictated that...

Archived