Did the Frey deserve to be cooked into pies?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Yes, for their attitude even more than the RW itself. If they had been respectful in White Harbor, showing Lord Manderly every courtesy and deference, then maybe a quick clean death and burial would be more appropriate.

But after sitting through their arrogant, insulting, self-congratulatory "werewolf-killer" bullshit I would have force-fed them their own tongues.

Completely agree. Can't fault every Frey for the RW, but these three in particular were rotten to the core. They deserved it.

Also, I love your avatar. LD is a genius.

Why does the fact that Robb had GWind's head matter? Why does the fact that Cat was threw naked in the river mattered? Why does Ned's bones matter? Why does Lady's dead body matter? Why Wendel's bones matter?

That all matters to the living, not the dead. Although the bones of Ned may be more significant in the crypt sub plot.

The question is 'Did they deserve to be put into pies', I don't think it really mattered to them given their lifeless situation. It will hurt their family which is the real reason everyone is so gung ho about it. The Freys deserve some hurt.

That all matters to the living, not the dead. Although the bones of Ned may be more significant in the crypt sub plot.

The question is 'Did they deserve to be put into pies', I don't think it really mattered to them given their lifeless situation. It will hurt their family which is the real reason everyone is so gung ho about it. The Freys deserve some hurt.

Same could be told about everyone. Why Elia's and Rhaegar's children, the Starks and so on matters more than the Frey children?

My inner conscience says that what Manderly did was disgusting. If it'd happened in the real world, I'd lock him up forever in a psychiatric institution. Indeed, no one deserves to be treated like that. Just kill them, bury them somewhere remote and deep, and be done about it. Feeding them to their kin, and eating them themselves is disgusting. Really disgusting.

But, I laugh everytime I read about it. Made me like the Manderlys even more.

Same could be told about everyone. Why Elia's and Rhaegar's children, the Starks and so on matters more than the Frey children?

Says the person that is cool with Elia and her children's fates and admires Blood and Cheese.

GRRM writes these books towards a modern audience. It's a quite horrible act in our world.

His hatred is probably for the fact that his son died during the RW.

IMO no relative deserves to eat their family regardless what the family has done.

I am surprised you have read these books. It is fiction, and set in a midevil world. I applaud your high moral compass, but this is fiction.

I am surprised you have read these books. It is fiction, and set in a midevil world. I applaud your high moral compass, but this is fiction.

Like I said before because these books are set in a medieval setting there are somethings I'm willing to be lenient on. Such as Ned's beheading of the deserter. But since these books are directed towards a modern audience I am not going to be alright with things that violate human rights. I would be okay with Manderly killing the Freys (I'm willing to be lenient on that because it's a medieval setting and organizations like the police did not exist) but cooking them into pies is a step too far.

Also I don't really get why people are so pissed off at Joffrey beating Sansa. I mean sure she was an innocent child and all but c'mon guys this is fiction. And Ramsay torturing, man hunting and raping his victims because after all this is fiction. And Gregor brutally murdering Elia was alright because fiction! Hell, why do we have the concept of villains at all and dislike characters who commit heinous crimes (though you could find them entertaining characters) because after all this is fiction and we should totally blindly accept everything the characters do.

Because Rhaegar's children (they have precious dragon blood) and the Starks (those owners of the glorious blood of the First Men) are worth all of the Freys! Those dirty subhuman beings deserve torture and murder because after all the name Frey declares them of abhorrent crimes! All women and children deserve to live in a living hell for the horrible crime of being married with and being born from the wrong family!

Because Rhaegar's children (they have precious dragon blood) and the Starks (those owners of the glorious blood of the First Men) are worth all of the Freys! Those dirty subhuman beings deserve torture and murder because after all the name Frey declares them of abhorrent crimes! All women and children deserve to live in a living hell for the horrible crime of being married with and being born from the wrong family!

Well said, I agree fully.

On the one hand I can see that no one deserves to be killed and eaten in such a way. This isn't as if other people were starving and began eating corpses to survive. It was sending a message.

On the other, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get some small satisfaction out of it, sick as it is. Worth noting that in the story of the Rat Cook, breaking guest right was considered worse than the cannibalism. The Rat Cook was punished for breaking guest right, not for the cannibalism, which was "allowed" because the cook was supposedly allowed to have vengeance. Manderly made sure that guest right no longer applied before he killed the Freys. So from their perspective, they got vengeance on the Freys that they were owed (killing them in revenge for the Red Wedding), without actually stooping to their level (they didn't break guest right to do it).

ETA: If Manderly had killed and eaten Gatehouse Ami or Roslin or one of the children, my opinion would change, obviously. But the three men Manderly killed all seemed pretty complicit in what happened, with Jared lying and saying that Robb had killed Wendel and all three of them at White Harbor at all to ensure its good behavior.

Best of all, he reminds everybody that cannibalism is not as bad as violating guest right with the song as they are committing cannibalism. When he reveals what he did (and you can bet he will, somehow, or at least was planning to) the other allies of the Freys are going to feel disgusted with themselves for eating human flesh, and be reminded that as terrible as that is, the Freys are worse. It's good, effective, long-lasting psychological warfare.

I bet Manderly already has some bards working on "The Rat King 2" and spreading it across the lands, so that the story of what the Freys did will last forever.

Still, even if the Freys deserved it, I wonder how Manderly is going to reveal that without getting killed himself. If he revealed it inside Winterfell the Freys and Boltons would likely kill him and all his men.

I find it difficult to believe he would reveal it on the battlefield, with winter winds howling around him. How will the Lord of White Harbor reveal this information?

Still, even if the Freys deserved it, I wonder how Manderly is going to reveal that without getting killed himself. If he revealed it inside Winterfell the Freys and Boltons would likely kill him and all his men.

I find it difficult to believe he would reveal it on the battlefield, with winter winds howling around him. How will the Lord of White Harbor reveal this information?

Well, Wyman doesn't seem to care about whether he lives or not.

I don't think it will ever be revealed. It'll just be a smug inside joke for himself and perhaps members of his household.

I don't think it will ever be revealed. It'll just be a smug inside joke for himself and perhaps members of his household.

Probably not...but I won't say that I wouldn't have loved to see their reaction when they found out that they ate their own kin at a wedding feast ;)

1, The only Frey child that has died so far is Little Walder, who not only was a new Ramsay in the making, but also doesn't seem to have been killed by Manderly. He certainly wasn't baked into a pie. Until someone starts specifically targeting innocent children this is an entirely hypothetical scenario.

2, Rheagar, the Martells, and the Starks have so far treated their enemies honourably.

3, Motive - vengeance v greed.

Archived