Seastone Chair?

DireNorthWolf

Assuming the original Ironborn/First Men are to be believed, who built the Seastone Chair?

Would it be whoever made the Horn that summons the Great Kraken?

While we are on the topic, wtf is Nagga's Bones?

To the first, it sounds like a lesson of the Ironmen that they will only live with what the sea provides them and that all things stem from it. Their food, strength, and nobility (whoever sits on the chair). As to who made it, who knows. Perhaps the children made it, or the men found a rock and carved it into a chair and just didn't document it.

Considering that the horn is on the other side of the continent I would doubt it, though it could have just been carried there.

To the third, perhaps it is the bones of dragons or dead weirwood trees being mistaken for this Nagga in the story of the Grey King.

I assumed it was an ancient weirwood grove, turned to stone after thousands of years. The Children are forgotten on most of the Iron Islands, and this "holy place" was slowly acclimated by Drowned God priests, later explained to be Nagga's bones. Or that was my understanding.

In Arianne's sample chapter (haven't read it yet) apparently a Kraken has been spied (haven't read it so don't quote me on this) apparently it was chilling around the stepstones. Also Varys said was one of his little birds got information that one was seen around the fingers. Who wants a UnKraken to be ridden on by The Others for a way to assault the wall?

While I prefer that Naga was an actual sea serpent, it's possible that Naga's bones are the hull of an ancient enormous ship made of Weirwood bones that have turned to white stone over the years. As to the Seastone chair, I'd say the Children of the Forest seem like a good bet, perhaps Children who used water rooted magic similar to the Rhoynar of old, perhaps a different branch of COTF? Children of the Waters A.K.A. Mermaids/men?

Given the stone used one can't help but connect it to whichever culture first built up Yeen. Would be interesting to know if that black stone is the same as that used in asshai, which doesn't get the "oily" adjective. If it did would seem that the seastone chair came from west of westeros and the far east of essos...the lands the 5 forts are so curiously defending against would be my guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming the original Ironborn/First Men are to be believed, who built the Seastone Chair?

Would it be whoever made the Horn that summons the Great Kraken?

While we are on the topic, wtf is Nagga's Bones?

ive re read the World of Ice and Fire a couple of times now and there is this mention of the black oily stone that makes up the sea stone chair...the same rock that makes up the first fortress at the base of the Hightower and the same stone that same stone that seams to make up much of Asshai by the Sea....and the whole Dany must go East to go West...and in the book there is loads of talk about Essos and mention of sailing/flying east with it eventually becoming west, which would mean one of the first places Dany would reach Westeros on would be the side of the Iron Islands, which also happens to be the side that the Iron Born have been wreaking havoc on.

At any rate, it seems the south and eastern most point of the known world is Asshai which is full of this black oily stone....which is deposited on the Iron Islands and Old Towne (two of the close points of Westeros to Asshai?)

• 4 months later...

I was doing inventory today and I had some jade and happened to think of the seastone chair. Jade is often referred to as "oily". Is the chair carved out of black jade? Black is one of the natural colors of jade, so is the chair black jade?

I have also heard tourmaline referred to as oily, but usually the only gemstone referred to as "oily" is jade.

• 4 months later...

I was doing inventory today and I had some jade and happened to think of the seastone chair.  Jade is often referred to as "oily".  Is the chair carved out of black jade?  Black is one of the natural colors of jade, so is the chair black jade?

I have also heard tourmaline referred to as oily, but usually the only gemstone referred to as "oily" is jade.  

This is exactly what I was thinking, jade. But if we went with a more mystical approach it could literally be oily.

Which makes my add mind think would I wanna sit on a chair covered in baby oil? ***k no.

I assumed it was an ancient weirwood grove, turned to stone after thousands of years.  The Children are forgotten on most of the Iron Islands, and this "holy place" was slowly acclimated by Drowned God priests, later explained to be Nagga's  bones.  Or that was my understanding.

how is that an answer to the origin of a black chair

Archived