Is the text worth it, besides the artwork?

Loic,

Given that TWoIaF is largely concerned with history well in the past of the main series, GRRM has indeed been able to reveal a lot of significant details about the past of his world. It may not directly impact the story of ASoIaF, but many fans of fantasy enjoy reading more world-building about a setting that they've come to love, whether or not that impacts the main storyline or not.

You don't need TWoIaF to enjoy ASoIaF, but there is information in the book that may make reading certain parts of ASoIaF more enjoyable. But it all depends on what sort of reader you are.

Loic,

Given that TWoIaF is largely concerned with history well in the past of the main series, GRRM has indeed been able to reveal a lot of significant details about the past of his world. It may not directly impact the story of ASoIaF, but many fans of fantasy enjoy reading more world-building about a setting that they've come to love, whether or not that impacts the main storyline or not.

You don't need TWoIaF to enjoy ASoIaF, but there is information in the book that may make reading certain parts of ASoIaF more enjoyable. But it all depends on what sort of reader you are.

Fair enough, it all comes down to personal tastes/opinions I guess.

Thanks for the direct answer!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/influential-fans-the-webmasters-of-westerosorg.html

ÜBER-FAN DUTIES: Twelve to 30 hours a week updating the site with news and reviews of both the books and HBO's Game of Throne series, as well as managing the forum and the wiki. (Additional volunteers also help with the work of maintaining Westeros.org.) The couple also works as informal consultants on the television series, "looking up the odd detail here and there," while Antonsson has been paid to subtitle the show for Swedish television. They've also been writing a series companion, The World of Ice and Fire, since 2006. And they're still running that role-playing game that started it all, Blood of Dragons. "It started out as a big hobby, and now it’s both hobby and work a lot of the time," says Antonsson.

You still translate for them, no? Have you quit? Or do you subtitle the episodes for free?

Also: I love how some of you jump to defend Linda's behavior with arguments such as "Who hasn't bitched about their bosses?" as if the people at HBO or the ones who make Game of Thrones treat her badly. The only "offence" I can think of is not turning the show in a perfect carbon copy of the books or not following Linda's checklist of "worldbuilding" and "casting choices".

I think it's excellent from what I've read so far. It further assists in bringing GRRM's world to life. Sat here reading it, it almost feels as if i'm reading a history book based on real world events.

Also, if you like discussing and debating asoiaf, then this book is a great resource.

Oh, I imagine it won't be necessary to ignore that person for long because I don't see them having much of a future on the board. ;)

However, this is a claim that the trolls keep repeating and I've seen people taken in by it, so I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what HBO is supposed to be paying us for according to them.

I see in my magic mirror that a banhammer is coming for me in the future.

Couldn't care less. It is known (hah) that if you don't fawn over GRRM or Elio/Linda you don't have much of a future here.

Cue the "Why are you here?" replies.

Usually people dubbing or subtitling stuff don't work directly for the network making the show, rather for an agency doing stuff like that or the network who broadcasts the show in that country. At least, that's how things are in Germany.

Usually people dubbing or subtitling stuff don't work directly for the network making the show, rather for an agency doing stuff like that or the network who broadcasts the show in that country. At least, that's how things are in Germany.

In Spain as well.

lol, yeah, I was joking. Nevertheless, I wouldn't find hypocritical to make some criticism, if such criticism is honest. When people work in something that involves a lot of people, not everybody agrees on the final result all the time.

But whatever, the best is ignore the trolls.

IMO that depends on the form of it. Criticizing it during the wirting/production process, when things can still be changed is not hypocritial (that's what you're paid to do), but criticizing after the series comes out, when you have been involved in the production process, but got overvoted by the producers etc. is a bit hypocritical.

Couldn't care less. It is known (hah) that if you don't fawn over GRRM or Elio/Linda you don't have much of a future here.

Why are you here? Your statement that they live on HBO's teat as already been proven false, just sticking around to describe your hate for the authors? That seems like a great waste. I how you realize that they would be prefectly in the right to ban you because it is not permitted to attack other users, such as Linda is.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/influential-fans-the-webmasters-of-westerosorg.html

The couple also works as informal consultants on the television series, "looking up the odd detail here and there," while Antonsson has been paid to subtitle the show for Swedish television.

The article is incorrect in stating that either of us "works as informal consultants on the television series". Elio occasionally talks to Bryan Cogman, whom he met in Belfast, and that has led to him answering a question here and there. I have not ever spoken to Bryan Cogman myself, nor helped in answering any of these questions.

As far as the subtitling goes, I work for a subtitling company. Through them I was assigned to work on the subtitles for Game of Thrones for one particular channel (CMore, formerly Canal+). Other people subtitle the show for Swedish television (as in, the Swedish state-owned television) and for HBO Nordic; subtitles are not shared between channels. CMore pays the subtitling company I work for, the subtitling company pays me. HBO does not enter into the picture. They simply have nothing to do with who subtitles their shows for other channels. Indeed, even the other channels have nothing to do with that - a channel has a contract with a subtitling company and that company assigns the material to a specific translator.

I think it's excellent from what I've read so far. It further assists in bringing GRRM's world to life. Sat here reading it, it almost feels as if i'm reading a history book based on real world events.

Also, if you like discussing and debating asoiaf, then this book is a great resource.

Agree 100%. As Linda said, this book is great for world-building. This piece really gives you the capability to visualize past events and associate them with the current setting in ASoIaF.

Yawn.

If you're not a fan, then face the ban :whip:

Also: I love how some of you jump to defend Linda's behavior with arguments such as "Who hasn't bitched about their bosses?" as if the people at HBO or the ones who make Game of Thrones treat her badly. The only "offence" I can think of is not turning the show in a perfect carbon copy of the books or not following Linda's checklist of "worldbuilding" and "casting choices".

Being someone who watched their show, I can tell you their reviews are nothing but sound, some of the things HBO does is dumb as hell, even Loras's actor thinks so when it comes to his role. The sex scenes are pointless and outright absurd as most forced sex scenes are. I get budget issues when it comes to hiring actors, but I don't know, why not cut one white characters and place the black characters? Why make people scratch their head about why they did this?

In my opinion most of those reviews I have seen are just trollers. However I got to agree with the guy who said this book seams to have to much dragonspawn information, and a lack of Baratheon catering to be for Robert Baratheon or any of his heirs. That doesnt seam reasonable.

It's an historical book. The Baratheons are just the present, I suppose. I think the intention would likely be that they learned from the previous Kings, the good and the bad.

Archived