Is the text worth it, besides the artwork?

I worked in a bookstore that shipped to other S.American countries, but no idea where they will get the edition. Also, Gigamesh announced to have AWOIAF in Spanish by the end of the year.

Take it this way: The ASOIF books came here in 2011. I could not even dream about D&E stories, and got to buy them in Argentina...and the way I read the P&Q was not... "legal" :blushing:

Its as much non canon as any POV in ASOIF talking about things they dont see at first hand. Take it that way.

It should be awsome, but I might have to wait centuries until I can buy it here in Uruguay.

Im spoiling myself without regret :blushing: . I just cant wait.

You can read the kindle version in any computer. The kindle app/program is satisfying in my opinion. Someone said in another thread that the book is 209mb, so it should have all the artwork in good resolution. (I'm from Brazil, btw... Standard shipping is not that expensive, but some books took 3 of 4 months to get here.)

I think it's a perfectly valid campaign to encourage a boycott of the authors, and for a legitimate reason. Stuff like that can definitely carry weight. The poor reviews may discourage certain shoppers from even buying which is a success for the boycott campaign. Or it might encourage a shopper to investigate further to determine if the cause of the boycott is something the buyer approves. It's generally fairly easy to tell the difference between reviews describing a truly bad product and reviews that are hinting at other reasons a buyer may want to look elsewhere.

Ser Greg, I have only skimmed so far so can't say with certainty if it's worth it. I wasn't too fond of TPatQ or the Rogue Prince (in fact, couldn't even get through either or them). I thought maybe the faux history just wasn't my thing but it might have been me just being sick to death of Targaryens. This faux history isn't too bad though Maester Yandel can be really annoying at times. There are some sections that I've found interesting to read and the book may end up being a great reference in the future. I haven't decided yet whether I'll seek a refund. That's the thing, if you buy on kindle, there is still the option of a refund. That gives you time to really check it out. Just makes sure you know the kindle refund rules.

I think it's a perfectly valid campaign to encourage a boycott of the authors, and for a legitimate reason. Stuff like that can definitely carry weight. The poor reviews may discourage certain shoppers from even buying which is a success for the boycott campaign. Or it might encourage a shopper to investigate further to determine if the cause of the boycott is something the buyer approves. It's generally fairly easy to tell the difference between reviews describing a truly bad product and reviews that are hinting at other reasons a buyer may want to look elsewhere.

Ser Greg, I have only skimmed so far so can't say with certainty if it's worth it. I wasn't too fond of TPatQ or the Rogue Prince (in fact, couldn't even get through either or them). I thought maybe the faux history just wasn't my thing but it might have been me just being sick to death of Targaryens. This faux history isn't too bad though Maester Yandel can be really annoying at times. There are some sections that I've found interesting to read and the book may end up being a great reference in the future. I haven't decided yet whether I'll seek a refund. That's the thing, if you buy on kindle, there is still the option of a refund. That gives you time to really check it out. Just makes sure you know the kindle refund rules.

Yeah... I don't really care for Targs and I didn't like TPatQ style at all. I forced myself to read it, but I didn't read the Rogue Prince yet. But I'll check the kindle refund thing, thank you!

I just got mine today and read the Dawn Age and Age of Heroes sections - I am loving it. The art work is beautiful and the text straightforward and easy to read. I also enjoyed TPatQ but have not gotten to the Rogue Prince yet. Wondering if I should read that first before continuing TWoIaF?

So for the record George only wrote the stuff about the Targs right? Not that I mind because I really like the other stuff as well.

The book doesn't specify who wrote the specific parts. If GRRM's name is on the cover he had to approve everything that was written, right? I just see it like that.

So for the record George only wrote the stuff about the Targs right? Not that I mind because I really like the other stuff as well.

No, I believe he wrote a substantial part of it and he also reviewed everything Elio and Linda wrote. Elio talked about this in an interview.

No, I believe he wrote a substantial part of it and he also reviewed everything Elio and Linda wrote. Elio talked about this in an interview.

That's true, George did mention writing about The Iron Islands on the day he finished his portion of the story.

It won't be long before it hits the bargain bin, I'd say. I'm sure I'll be hated for this, but from what I've seen, it's a glorified wiki with pretty pictures and unreliable information. But after the quotes book of Tyrion Lannister I can't say I'm surprised.

To be honest a glorified Wiki with pretty pictures sounds great to me. I havent bought the book yet but I will be getting it Friday :commie:

I highly doubt it will hit the bargain bin soon as you seem to be the only one in the thread thus far to suggest that. Not to say some people won't like it. I would assume if you weren't fond of tPatQ you might not like this book (unless of course you are just tired of hearing about Targs as there is more than Targ history in tWoIaF)

Not sure why you think its unreliable. Ran said it is canon.

ETA: Just saw Señor de la Tormenta fixed your post for you :lol:

This book/encyclopedia/companion is really special! Just posted a 5 star review on amazon and don't understand why people are being so negative. I like the fact that it was co-authored by fans of the books, especially by people who interact with other fans all the time.

Yeah okay it was written by a maester by how else would anyone else have it? It makes it more real and historical. I Just got to the "Reign of The Dragon" section and I'm in love with this.

I can't imagine having it on Kindle only because the physical book itself is so strong. Only faulty thing I noticed was in the Targaryen family tree, Rhaenys is listed as a male

It won't be long before it hits the bargain bin, I'd say. I'm sure I'll be hated for this, but from what I've seen, it's a glorified wiki with pretty pictures and unreliable information. But after the quotes book of Tyrion Lannister I can't say I'm surprised.

Meaning, it's an companion encyclopaedia :dunno: :rolleyes:

Take it this way: The ASOIF books came here in 2011. I could not even dream about D&E stories, and got to buy them in Argentina...and the way I read the P&Q was not... "legal" :blushing:

Being a close neighbour, I read many books in the same way. It's not only that the books take so long to being shipped, but they also overcharge for the shipping.

There will always be people saying that Star Trek isn't Star Trek if Roddenberry isn't involved*. I'm of the idea that is not the same when someone takes what other author has written before, but in some cases, it's completely acceptable, specially when such author is creatively involved. I suppose this is one of the cases.

About the "prose" of the book, well... it's a freaking encyclopaedia, a recollection of data and information. And considering this was for Robert Baratheon, let's rejoice on the fact it's not written with crayons.

The boycott the post above me talks about is ridiculous. And it's ironic that these people do nothing but criticises GRRM for wasting time instead of writing book six while they take so many time in actually boycotting him. What a waste of energy, tbh.

*that doesn't apply to the new reboot.

It's a good book, a great book. But there are also reasons to boycott it. Personally I think it's almost an essential for fans, but it's a personal choice. The artwork is great, and so is the content, it's fascinating.

It depends on the reason for bad reviews, some might be trolls, but some might not.

But IMO, the bad reviews about the content and book are completely ridiculous.

Archived