[TWOIAF SPOILERS] Is Mushroom a stab or nod to the crackpot theories?

Could Cole have been in love with Leanor?

I doubt Mushroom wouldn't make make a baudy jape of it if he was - so I'm inclined to say no.

On the other hand, Mushroom's tellings tend to be Cole-friendly (Cole is the pure knight who rejects depraved Rhaenyra on two occasions, as opposed to the romantic version where Cole wanted to flee before her wedding and she rejects him), so maybe he was partisan toward Cole and would hide something like that. There's a definite degree to which the point of The Rogue Prince and The Princess & the Queen (and presumably Fire & Blood as a whole) is thematically meant to underline the unknowability of true history.

• 3 weeks later...

Mushroom is like Suetonius or Procopius. I think we should take his tales well seasoned with salt, unless verified by other sources.

I could imagine him claiming that Rhaenyra challenged a leading prostitute from Kings Landing to a contest to see how many men they could service in one night; or that she put on floor shows in which geese pecked corn from her private parts.

I agree. It's a nod to Procopius, but with the comical/ironic twist of making him (supposedly half-wit) jester.

• 11 months later...

When a guy has a bad break up with a girl he caLls her mean names like slut, whore Etc. That doesn't mean he has a sexphobia.

i believe Rhaenyra rejected him and he hated her for it. To me it sounded like at the small council meeting Cole was trying to give reasons why they should side against Rhaenyra and of course he's not going to say, oh she rejected me so now I want revenge. Of course he's going to try to say the worst things possible to make her and her family look like amoral villains.

Besides in other parts of the text prior to his fall out with Rhaenyra, Cole was described as being a charming lady's man, not pious or dutiful. 

Archived