Dany's view on her father

yankee211

While reading some of Dany's chapters, sometimes she asked Barristan what her father was like and he never really tells her the truth how cruel her father was to his wife and subjects (even Jorah sugarcoats to her about her father in previous books). Do you think Dany will lose interest in the iron throne when she finds out her father was insane.

I don't think she will lose interest in the throne, but I do think that it will be really hard for her to wrap her mind around. She knows firsthand what an asshole Viserys was, but she I think she is still clinging to the idea of the righteousness of her/her family's cause. It will be really interesting to see how she digests the news when/if she finally learns the true reasons behind the Baratheon's and Stark's rebellion. [i'm about halfway through DwD, so my comment assumes that has not happened yet]

I don't think she will lose interest in the throne, but I do think that it will be really hard for her to wrap her mind around. She knows firsthand what an asshole Viserys was, but she I think she is still clinging to the idea of the righteousness of her/her family's cause. It will be really interesting to see how she digests the news when/if she finally learns the true reasons behind the Baratheon's and Stark's rebellion. [i'm about halfway through DwD, so my comment assumes that has not happened yet]

That's a really good point actually. If she does learn the truth, maybe it will strengthen her resolve to be a good Queen to Westeros, as she has in Essos, i.e. freeing slaves in Meereen, etc. I really hope she does make a move for the Iron Throne sooner or later rather than hanging around in Essos for too long. (I'm about half way through A Dance with Dragons.)

My guess is that Martin will have her heading to Westeros and the Others will attack the Wall at about the same sort of time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If Dany is as clever as she thinks she is, then she should be able to read between the lines to both Jorah's and Selmy's answers to her questions. 

Barristan told her about her father taking liberties with Joanna Lannister and when she asked  "Whitebeard" about her father he answers, 

"Whitebeard did his best to hide his feelings, but they were there, plain on his face. "His Grace was . . . often pleasant."

I am in the camp that Dany is about to (unknowingly) replicate her crazy ass father but she thinks she is doing good. She has already made a mess of Essos. She starts Dance wanting to plant olive trees and to see them flower but then at the end she say,

"No. You are the blood of the dragon. The whispering was growing fainter, as if Ser Jorah were falling farther behind. Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/18/2015 at 2:27 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

I am in the camp that Dany is about to (unknowingly) replicate her crazy ass father but she thinks she is doing good. She has already made a mess of Essos.

Agree. Though I like the book Dany much more than the show Dany, I don't think that she will escape the Targaryan madness, she already showed how ruthless can she be. Besides that Dany is ill-informed about Westeros and its histroy in general. With Jorah not being around and Baristan sugarcoating to her about her family, she is unlikely to learn the truth anytime soon.

On 7/28/2016 at 10:55 PM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Agree. Though I like the book Dany much more than the show Dany, I don't think that she will escape the Targaryan madness, she already showed how ruthless can she be. Besides that Dany is ill-informed about Westeros and its histroy in general. With Jorah not being around and Baristan sugarcoating to her about her family, she is unlikely to learn the truth anytime soon.

I think she's realized what she's done, but she doesn't really openly admit it. I forget who said this, but basically if the siege of Meereen works out in her favour, the mess should clear itself up. I think she realises what Aery's was like, but she still refers to Robert as the Usurper, and is disgusted at the massacre of the Targaryens, and this is stopping her from at least partially condoning the Rebellion.

Archived