Archer Season Whatever: Caress of Krieger

Myshkin

I agree that was great. Hard to tell from just one episode but it really seems to have breathed some life into the series. The 6th season was still good but the setting was getting a little stale.

It wasn't as intense as the past couple opening episodes have been, but still good. I totally missed the parody of Chinatown aspect while watching it (probably because I haven't seen the film).

Old Krieger is back! Well, not really, but behavior-wise he seems to be back in this episode. The whole "is he a clone or just have amnesia?" thing from Season 6 was easily my least favorite running joke from that season, and I missed the Old Krieger the whole time.

I agree that was great. Hard to tell from just one episode but it really seems to have breathed some life into the series. The 6th season was still good but the setting was getting a little stale.

One thing I did like from that season is that it's stale for the characters as well - by the end of the season, they're totally burned out on espionage. I remember Season 4 started feeling a little stale before the end of it, except there was no indication that the series would blow up its setting soon after.

I really liked that first episode. Archer isn't as hysterically funny as it used to be, but it has compensated that by becoming a more characterdriven TV-show. When Archer kissed Lana and then asked Ray to whisk her away, I really liked how that encapsulated Archer's personal growth. He seems pretty genuinely happy. I like that.

On 1-4-2016 at 9:26 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

When the hell are they going to track down Woodhouse!?

Perhaps they never will, since his voice actor has died IIRC. They might have decided not to feature his character anymore after he passed away. 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I really liked that first episode. Archer isn't as hysterically funny as it used to be, but it has compensated that by becoming a more characterdriven TV-show. When Archer kissed Lana and then asked Ray to whisk her away, I really liked how that encapsulated Archer's personal growth. He seems pretty genuinely happy. I like that.

Perhaps they never will, since his voice actor has died IIRC. They might have decided not to feature his character anymore after he passed away. 

Closure can be overrated.

• 2 weeks later...

This was an interesting episode. We've still got the whole thing from the beginning of the season lingering in the background, although only in a brief flash.

The reviewer over at A.V. Club made the interesting point that while Archer's relationships with most of the other characters have mellowed out a bit, nothing of the sort has happened between him and Cyril - they still despise each other, and if anything it's gotten worse. Cyril's right that Archer is a bully, although Cyril himself tends to turn into a petty tyrant whenever he gets a taste of power (on top of being generally insecure, dishonest, and incompetent in the field).

Also, Lana's in jail. I thought that was kind of funny - I can totally imagine Lana showing up at the headmaster's house with the basket of food (totally unsolicited at night), and then getting really pushy when he gets weirded out by this. And of course the gun.

• 4 weeks later...

I had fallen behind, but now  I have caught up again. This has got to be the best season of Archer since the third season. I really hope they can keep this up, because the quality is really famn high :) Why isn't there more discussion here on this great show :) 

Last nights episode was the best of the season for sure. I love it when they do a good hang out episode, just get the gang all together and let'em do their respective things. Krieger's jumpsuit, afro, and Mac impersonation had me ROTF. Also, always nice to get a Frisky Dingo reference:

Cheryl: "Boosh."

Pam: "And/or ka-kow!"

Krieger used to be my favourite character, more recently it's been Cheryl though. I'm glad they gave him a really solid episode. Also he's building a replicant? He's got those face masks, he's always building robot bits for people and he mentioned the voight-kampff in that episode. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why I still haven't got round to the current season. It's not like I disliked the last one but there isn't that urge I get with "sunny" and "south park" to watch on release.

That's okay. This season might be more enjoyable if watched as a whole once it's completed, especially since there's something of a serialized story amidst the episodes.

The most recent episode was a bit meh. The "A" story sort of just petered out with little consequence, although the "B" story with hypnosis was funny. I do like the implication that Archer and Lana genuinely love each other but just can't make the relationship stick - he's got persistently bad habits and behaviors he can't or won't change, and Lana has expectations of him that are always dashed.

No idea what the robots/cyborgs are for. Krieger probably has something very strange up his sleeve.

Dean did it, but how? Does she have an android clone, a double or a split personality?

19 hours ago, Mo_Snow said:

Late to the ARCHER party, but my GAWD I can't get enough of it! Been marathon watching past eps, also watching the new season.

Has me L'ingOL every time!

It's a great thing isn't it :) 

2 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A better question is was the Archer floating face down in her pool a replicant or the genuine article? 

Personally, I'd say a replicant. I'd be mighty surprised if it's something else :) 

Archived