Archer Season Whatever: Caress of Krieger

Myshkin

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A better question is was the Archer floating face down in her pool a replicant or the genuine article? 

Replicant, probably. The show-runner had an interview a couple months ago where he said he was hoping to do another season, and said that Archer would remain a private eye into the next one . . . assuming he wasn't saying that to do a fake-out to actually kill Archer this season. Not that death is necessarily permanent in that setting, since Krieger could always bring him back as a cyborg like Katia and Ray Gilette.

In fact, that would make a twist and resolution to the increasing signs that Archer is slow to recover from his usual damage. Archer gets killed or mortally wounded, Krieger brings him back . . . but did he actually bring him back? Or is this version of Archer just a replicant with his memories?

Nah, that would probably be awful. Having Krieger spend a whole season like that was bad enough.

In any case, this episode was good even if I'm kind of tired of seeing Archer and Lana bicker. Veronica Dean was suspicious as hell at the end, and something definitely seems to have gone on with the sexual tryst between them that we didn't see that was strange.

1 minute ago, Electric Bass said:

In any case, this episode was good even if I'm kind of tired of seeing Archer and Lana bicker. Veronica Dean was suspicious as hell at the end, and something definitely seems to have gone on with the sexual tryst between them that we didn't see that was strange.

Probably all those spiders coming out :P 

I'm hoping Archer gets a Season 8. I looked at the episode list, and it's troubling. Archer seasons 2-6 all had 13 episode runs, but season 7 was abbreviated to 10 episodes instead. Worse, the ratings are down from last season, and in general Archer's ratings are down from its high point in Season 4. Not one episode since the season premiere has cracked 1 million viewers on first showing this season, although perhaps some of that can be explained by view-shifting and other ways of watching the episodes. 

That's not good, especially with Archer about to hit the 8th Season Hump - i.e. the point when many of the contracts of actors/actresses come up for renewal, and they usually start asking for serious pay raises. It's possible the show won't get its 8th season after all, although Adam Reed seemed to believe that it would. 

I guess the show never really recovered from abandoning the "Spy Agency" format for its storytelling, since season 5-7 have not brought the ratings back consistently as strong as before despite changing up the format 3 times in 3 seasons. 

Animated shows are serious long-term bankers for TV companies (being usually cheap to produce with fairly small casts), so they're usually safer than other shows from cancellation even if the ratings are so-so. Fox in particular learned that lesson from cancelling and bringing back Futurama and Family Guy multiple times.

However, unlike those shows, Archer has not really broken out in the same way. Most people I speak to here in the UK have never even heard of it. The fact that it's on Netflix here makes it easy to recommend to people, so that might be a factor.

On 5/27/2016 at 2:02 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A better question is was the Archer floating face down in her pool a replicant or the genuine article? 

When was this in the episode?  Did I miss one or something?  The last episode i've seen is where Dean has murdered Crane and made an alibi with Archer by lying to him about the time.

16 hours ago, Slurktan said:

When was this in the episode?  Did I miss one or something?  The last episode i've seen is where Dean has murdered Crane and made an alibi with Archer by lying to him about the time.

It was the very beginning of the first episode of the season. 

16 hours ago, Slurktan said:

she didn't lie about the time, she just made sure to emphasize it was almost the stroke of 3 that she was with Archer thus proving she couldn't do it.

Archer floating face down in the pool was the opening shot of this season

What an ending. It leaves them with options, too - if they get renewed, then Archer comes back as a cyborg like Ray, Katia, and Barry (and maybe we finally get a massive cyborg fight between Barry and Archer). If they don't, then Archer stays dead and we end on a cliff-hanger. But according to a Daily Beast article released after the episode about it, a renewal looks "promising". Revived-Cyborg-Archer it is!

Anyone else get the impression that the cyborg-Archer set up the real-Archer to be murdered? It seemed like real-Archer very conspicuously put his gun on the table in a place where Veronica Dean might pull it on him - and he was counting on cyborg-Archer recording it. I guess it could just be that real-Archer fucked up and forgot to take the bullets out, but cyborg-Archer sure seemed to be in a rush to make things right with Lana before the malfunction - and real-Archer looked really surprised when he was actually shot before falling into the pool. 

In any case, lots of individual bits in this movie were really funny. They even did the "politics" good with that scene in the police car, where Lana realizes that she's incredibly vulnerable to being set up by the LAPD - and that the LAPD might very well fudge the evidence to get the conviction and close the case. 

There is no way that Archer is a robot, I refuse to believe that they would do that. And if you need some more convincing...who was driving the truck...why would there be only 1 archerbot after we saw milkly and coply?

Also Adam Reed was openly talking about what's going to be in season 8 in an AMA yesterday, there's no question the show is coming back. If you're interested in what he said specifically, he said they would address Woodhouse's death and that we'd probably see Trinette but I recommend reading the whole thing

I must say, I wasn't completely enarmoured by the episode. The fact that everything played out like we predicted was a bit disappointing. And then the only thing they did tbat deviated from expectations, I really didn't like. I

Spoiler

don't want cyborg Archer, so I hope Archer faked his death in some other way.

The jokes were on point though :D 'She hasn't cried like that since prohibition' and 'suck it Alan Turing' were great :)  

On June 3, 2016 at 0:41 AM, Gears of the Beast said:

Also RIP Milkly :/

Don't forget about Coply! RIP Coply, the brief, bright flame of you existence shall remain with me always.

• 10 months later...

Enjoyed the season 9 premier. I like how the show is ballsy enough to completely screw with the format every now and then. I think I could enjoy this setting for a season.

Best line for me was the "They are Chinese". That made me chuckle.

I'm finally catching up on Season 7 on Netflix. The show's still pretty good, but I feel like its missing something; and was in Season 6 and the backhalf of Season 5 also. Hard to describe what exactly, but its sort of like how The Simpsons felt around season 11 or 12; still a good show, but not what it was.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I'm finally catching up on Season 7 on Netflix. The show's still pretty good, but I feel like its missing something; and was in Season 6 and the backhalf of Season 5 also. Hard to describe what exactly, but its sort of like how The Simpsons felt around season 11 or 12; still a good show, but not what it was.

I thought so too on my first viewing bit I watched the first three on Netflix and laughed hysterically.  

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I'd agree on the whole that the last two seasons - especially the miami one haven't been as good as earlier seasons but I'd say it's more because the earlier seasons were excellent.

I don't know that I agree.  It's still very solid.  A 94 mile an hour fastball is still a fastball...

As for the premiere, I was surprised they went that way.  I expected more of a twist a la Sherlock's Christmas special a couple years ago.

Spoiler

I expected them to just start up in the Dreamland, not addressing Archer floating in the pool at the end of last season until the end of this season...

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't know that I agree.  It's still very solid.  A 94 mile an hour fastball is still a fastball...

As for the premiere, I was surprised they went that way.  I expected more of a twist a la Sherlock's Christmas special a couple years ago.

Hide contents

I expected them to just start up in the Dreamland, not addressing Archer floating in the pool at the end of last season until the end of this season...

but a 96 mile an hour fastball is still faster :)

As I said, it's more a cases of such a high bar being set.

I think the set up for the new season was wise - it stops people focusing too much on "what's going on" and just enjoying the ride.

Archived