Archer Season Whatever: Caress of Krieger

Myshkin

*Prods old tired dog thread back to life*

It's kept me amused so far but not truly in love with it as I was back in the early days.

I mainly just wanted to comment on how brilliantly brutal that Last Supper scene was. Damn, Other Barry Dutch.

It hasnt been quite as good since probably the first 3 seasons but it is still one of the best shows around and the episodes seem to end so quickly. Im still loving it and yeah that last supper scene was pretty brutal 

• 1 month later...

Dreamland was a great season, the best since Vice, and one that's great to binge. According to creator Adam Reed there are two more eight episode seasons in the works, which would end the series at ten seasons. Hopefully they do another "theme" season like this one. I enjoy seeing all these characters in a fully realized "What If?" season. 

I agree, Dreamland felt surprisingly fresh for an eighth season and they made a big effort to avoid some of the running gags they used to lean on a little too heavily. It was good to see Krieger being a bit more central to the story as well and I think the fewer episodes really helped the story focus.

I was surprised that Archer didn't wake up at the end of the season and I'm worried that a second Dreamland season, or one set in a different time period, would feel repetitive. I'd like to see them do something different with Archer waking up again in the real world.

• 7 months later...

Season nine to premier april 25th, just like the old gypsy woman said. 

http://deadline.com/2018/02/archer-season-9-premiere-date-fxx-danger-island-1202305830/

Only one season to go after this, and personally I really hope it's a prequel. preferably set just before the first season. They could have each episode framed by one of the characters remembering the now dead Archer. So each episode would be from a slight different perspective depending on who was reminiscing.

I can't remember how Dreamland ended either, although it was underwhelming. Danger Island sounds like more fun, particularly if they do a lot of ensemble storylines (Archer is at its funniest when the whole gang is present and bouncing off of one another, like in "Vision Quest"). 

Maybe it will be better binged, especially given how serialized it was compared to earlier seasons of Archer

I think it was a mistake in Seasons 7 and 8 to center the show so much in a single area (California). Archer was more fun when they were getting into wacky adventures all over the place alternated with hijinks back home in the HQ. That's the only part of Danger Island that gives me pause - the show being stuck in a small location all season long could get dull. 

On 02/03/2018 at 0:18 AM, Fall Bass said:

Maybe it will be better binged, especially given how serialized it was compared to earlier seasons of Archer

I think it was a mistake in Seasons 7 and 8 to center the show so much in a single area (California). Archer was more fun when they were getting into wacky adventures all over the place alternated with hijinks back home in the HQ. That's the only part of Danger Island that gives me pause - the show being stuck in a small location all season long could get dull. 

I think the "standard" Archer paradigm was getting a little long in the tooth. Seasons 1-4 were pretty strong but they were starting to run out of ideas towards the end, and Season 6 tried to reconnect with the classic paradigm but ran into that problem again. Seasons 5, 7 and 8 had issues, but by changing things up they did at least come up with some fresh ideas.

I think it's the problem of how you long you keep a show going when you reach the point where you've run out of the ideas inherent in the premise but you can't go too whacky and experimental without annoying your core fanbase.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think it's the problem of how you long you keep a show going when you reach the point where you've run out of the ideas inherent in the premise but you can't go too whacky and experimental without annoying your core fanbase.

One of the problems with Archer is that they're in this weird place where they're not a totally episodic show like the Simpsons, but they also don't seem really willing to let any of the characters undergo significant personal growth and change as part of that serialization. They almost seem to perversely enjoy letting you think that so-and-so is undergoing character growth, only to throw it all back at the end (I remember one of the reviewers at the AV Club making that point a while back). 

I think that's why going back to the classic paradigm in Season 6 didn't work that well. I don't think it's that trying to make a second go as a spy agency was doomed*, it's just that they weren't willing to let much of the change from the prior season carry over into it and make it seriously different from ISIS 1.0. The show even more or less joked about that with the prank on Mallory Archer in the first episode of season 6, where they present a new office only to reveal that - haha - it's exactly the same except an effectively meaningless difference with the onsen. Honestly, aside from "Vision Quest", the best part of the season was the ending, when they finally admit that they're just tired of sucking at espionage and need to do something else. 

* Although I do agree that by Season 4's end, that was starting to get kind of tired. It was good that they showed them leaving espionage for good at the end of Season 6, regardless of my issues with the season's quality. 

I just finished the most recent season of Archer, but decided to go back and re-watch the entire thing now.

Honeypot is such an amazing episode.

"How do you say 'the Hulk' in Spanish?"
"El Hulk."
"Gay."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived