A Sandor Clegane Discussion

Fool of a Took

Haha, Sansa manipulating Harry so he gets killed in order to escape her bethrotal/marriage would be very Littlefingerish... but the problem is that LF would see right through that. Cleans hands? Maybe Sansa has someone else suggest Harry to face the Hound in a trial?

Well, she doesn't have to accuse him openly, she just needs to whisper in Harry's ear (or make sure someone does)

I dunno if Littlefinger WOULD see right through it. He has no reason to believe that Sansa gives a damn about Sandor and he thinks she's psyched about marrying Harry too.

Ok.

Like I said, dont think the "CLEGANEBOWL 2015 THE HYPE IS HERE FOLKS SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY" is going to happen. Also, wasn't shipping Sandor and Sansa.

Care for any more snarky, asshole comments?

Go to supply and get yourself issued a Sense of Humor, 1 ea.

I dunno if Littlefinger WOULD see right through it. He has no reason to believe that Sansa gives a damn about Sandor and he thinks she's psyched about marrying Harry too.

Good point. Sansa knows Sandor Clegane would cut Harry to pieces, though - would LF know she knows?

In any case, Sansa can have plausibly deniability, she just needs someone else to whisper in Harry's ear

It could even look like a twisted mirror image of Brandon and Littlefinger's duel:

Young kid who believes in songs (Littlefinger) fights for (who he believes) his maiden's hand/happiness, etc.

Young kid who believes in songs (Harry?) fights for (who he believes) his maiden's honor/happiness/revenge/maybe even hand

Older badass warrior can cut the young kid to pieces

Obedient, non-schemer maiden (Cat) implores Older badass warrior to spare the young kid

Rebellious, schemer maiden (Sansa) implores Older badass warrior to kill the young kid instead

Maiden (Cat) gives her favor to the Older Badass Warrior, the dueler she actually desires

Maiden (Sansa) gives her favor to the Young Kid, although she desires the other dueler

Now, for irony's sake, Harry manages to win the duel :P

The EB told us "the Hound is dead." and "Sandor Clegane is at peace." I think Sandor's Hound persona is dead, but if Sandor is at peace, will he stay at peace? His horse is kicking and raring to go. He may be as well once he heals up and is stronger.

Also on the QI Brienne and company didn't 'see' the Gravedigger, but he had plenty of chance to see them. Could he of recognized Pod? Possibly Ser Hyle?

Also, Brother Narbert tells Brienne that although they have no women on the QI at the present time, women do come from time to time, sick, hurt and heavy with child to have the benefit of the Elder Brother's healing hands.

Perhaps Sansa will make he way to the QI, possibly with Sweet Robin. So much could happen to disturb the 'peace' the EB tells us about.

The EB told us "the Hound is dead." and "Sandor Clegane is at peace." I think Sandor's Hound persona is dead, but if Sandor is at peace, will he stay at peace? His horse is kicking and raring to go. He may be as well once he heals up and is stronger.

Also on the QI Brienne and company didn't 'see' the Gravedigger, but he had plenty of chance to see them. Could he of recognized Pod? Possibly Ser Hyle?

Also, Brother Narbert tells Brienne that although they have no women on the QI at the present time, women do come from time to time, sick, hurt and heavy with child to have the benefit of the Elder Brother's healing hands.

Perhaps Sansa will make he way to the QI, perhaps with Sweet Robin. So much could happen to disturb the 'peace' the EB tells us about.

And Stranger is sure as hell "disturbing the peace." lol.

Good point. Sansa knows Sandor Clegane would cut Harry to pieces, though - would LF know she knows?

In any case, Sansa can have plausibly deniability, she just needs someone else to whisper in Harry's ear

It could even look like a twisted mirror image of Brandon and Littlefinger's duel:

Young kid who believes in songs (Littlefinger) fights for (who he believes) his maiden's hand/happiness, etc.

Young kid who believes in songs (Harry?) fights for (who he believes) his maiden's honor/happiness/revenge/maybe even hand

Older badass warrior can cut the young kid to pieces

Obedient, non-schemer maiden (Cat) implores Older badass warrior to spare the young kid

Rebellious, schemer maiden (Sansa) implores Older badass warrior to kill the young kid instead

Maiden (Cat) gives her favor to the Older Badass Warrior, the dueler she actually desires

Maiden (Sansa) gives her favor to the Young Kid, although she desires the other dueler

Now, for irony's sake, Harry manages to win the duel :P

I wouldn't be so sure the current Sandor Clegane would cut Harry to pieces. Sandor has quite the limp and Harry could be a great fighter for all we know.

1. I'm not sure if he will return or not. I could see it going either way.

2. I would prefer him to return but not for a Clegane bowl or to be the other half of the Sansan ship. If he doesn't return at all I hope GRRM at least confirms that he is indeed the gravedigger.

3. I'm not sure how I would like him to return. To help Arya in some way. Maybe to help her find peace. He 'helped' her into the mind set she is in now so it would be fitting for him to show her the light so to speak.

I definitely think we will see him again. He was mentioned all throughout affc. I think he and Jaime will have some impact on Sansa as well. I just thought it was odd even Cersei mentioned him several times. My crackpot is that he will be glamoured with Raegar's Rubies. Sansa was always descibing his "rasp".

I definitely think we will see him again. He was mentioned all throughout affc. I think he and Jaime will have some impact on Sansa as well. I just thought it was odd even Cersei mentioned him several times. My crackpot is that he will be glamoured with Raegar's Rubies. Sansa was always descibing his "rasp".

With you on this. It's kind of weird to hear all these people so adamant that now that he's on the Quiet Isle, his story is over, he's found peace and he's just going to stay there digging graves for the rest of his life. I….don't think that's a credit to him. He's still a relatively young guy, has a strong personality and survival instinct, and his horse is making a damn racket. I bet his gut is telling him to go get both Stark sisters come hell or high water.

Sansa is at the onset of her sexual maturity, awareness of how she can manipulate people, and she distrusts everyone around her; however, I believe she is also beginning to understand the nature of her feelings towards Sandor. Sandor is, presumably, struggling to come to peace with his past and his desire to live meaningfully after being defined by his ruthlessness for so long (he was showing signs of that before his injury, i.e. the village). Having them both returned to each other at this point would mean they'd have to unpack what they meant to one another in King's Landing, and what they'll mean to each other now, after all that's happened. Which is awesome even if it doesn't mean the launch of the good ship SanSan. Personally that thing Cersei says out of the blue about Sansa "singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss" before the end is all kinds of innuendo to me.

One thing that always struck me right in the gut is how very symmetrical Sandor's status was with Sansa's. When he described her as a little bird, "singing the songs they taught you," he could just as well be talking about himself, singing the songs of brutality and bloodlust that had to become his raison d'être for him to carve out a place in KL.

With you on this. It's kind of weird to hear all these people so adamant that now that he's on the Quiet Isle, his story is over, he's found peace and he's just going to stay there digging graves for the rest of his life. I.don't think that's a credit to him. He's still a relatively young guy, has a strong personality and survival instinct, and his horse is making a damn racket. I bet his gut is telling him to go get both Stark sisters come hell or high water.

Sansa is at the onset of her sexual maturity, awareness of how she can manipulate people, and she distrusts everyone around her; however, I believe she is also beginning to understand the nature of her feelings towards Sandor. Sandor is, presumably, struggling to come to peace with his past and his desire to live meaningfully after being defined by his ruthlessness for so long (he was showing signs of that before his injury, i.e. the village). Having them both returned to each other at this point would mean they'd have to unpack what they meant to one another in King's Landing, and what they'll mean to each other now, after all that's happened. Which is awesome even if it doesn't mean the launch of the good ship SanSan. Personally that thing Cersei says out of the blue about Sansa "singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss" before the end is all kinds of innuendo to me.

One thing that always struck me right in the gut is how very symmetrical Sandor's status was with Sansa's. When he described her as a little bird, "singing the songs they taught you," he could just as well be talking about himself, singing the songs of brutality and bloodlust that had to become his raison d'être for him to carve out a place in KL.

I love you for posting this. 💖

I love you for posting this.

You beat me to it. LOL!

Great post, Mycah Bolton!

Well said. I agree and that is my stance too.

I totally respect people's opinions, but I feel he has more to do off the QI as well. Beric teases it, and little kickers like that. I have many more things too that stick out for me. But my big thing is Stranger reflecting his desire to bust out and the horse is very symbiotic with his owner too in the series.

Most characters and their attributed animals are.

I'd like to see him cross paths with Sansa again. They've both mentioned each other quite a bit since parting ways. I feel that sort of points to unfinished business between them

All the new POVs and characters introduced in AFFC/ADWD has sort of created a ratio between characters in the story where when it comes to characters I love, there aren't many left in comparison to other characters who are fine, but I'm not big fans of

Sandor is one those characters I love who is still alive (assuming he's the gravedigger or something else, we never see him die and that leaves room to speculate he's out there) so I definitely want him back in the story.

With you on this. It's kind of weird to hear all these people so adamant that now that he's on the Quiet Isle, his story is over, he's found peace and he's just going to stay there digging graves for the rest of his life. I….don't think that's a credit to him. He's still a relatively young guy, has a strong personality and survival instinct, and his horse is making a damn racket. I bet his gut is telling him to go get both Stark sisters come hell or high water.

Pretty much my take on things too, but you stated it better than I could. I may be on the good ship SanSan, but as one of the more skittish passengers always keeping the life boats within line of sight. Also agree that Sandor has unfinished business with both Stark girls, and suspect he wasn't thinking too far ahead beyond trying to get himself into a better (Stark) kennel before the RW happened and shit hit the fan.

Also suspected that Sandor fell for tales of knights as hard as Sansa did before his brother toasted half his face and he's been bitter about it since, and the bolded parts are spot on.

So in another of the millions of threads about Sandor in these forums someone was actually able to provide a quote from Elio in comments from his youtube channel that Sandor is in fact the gravedigger and that will be revealed when the books "catch up to us" st some point. so there you have it.

You beat me to it. LOL!

Great post, Mycah Bolton!

Well said. I agree and that is my stance too.

I totally respect people's opinions, but I feel he has more to do off the QI as well. Beric teases it, and little kickers like that. I have many more things too that stick out for me. But my big thing is Stranger reflecting his desire to bust out and the horse is very symbiotic with his owner too in the series.

Most characters and their attributed animals are.

Thank you, both! Glad it resonated with other people.

Archived