A Sandor Clegane Discussion

Fool of a Took

Hey folks,

I would like to get some peoples' thoughts and feelings about the Hound/Gravedigger with a few questions, and feel free to add anything you'd like:

1. Do you think Sandor's story is finished or do you think he'll come out of retirement? I don't just mean as another cameo, but actually factor back into the story in a somewhat major way?

2. Do you prefer his story to be finished or would you like him to make an impact?

3. If you believe he will return, how do you think his storyline would play out? i.e. Fight Gregor, a little Sansa relationship, etc.

I'll start off with my thoughts, or should i just say a stream of consciousness. I don't feel strongly one way or the other on whether or not GRRM will leave him at the Quiet Isle, but if I had to guess, I think that his story is over.

I would prefer for GRRM to bring him back, but would definitely have an appreciation with the whole, the Hound is dead, but Sandor is alive and in as much peace as possible idea.

If he does return, I don't see him fighting Gregor. I somewhat like the idea of SanSan, but not necessarily in a romantic way. I think Sansa will rule Winterfell at the end of the series. I can see Sandor being the Castellan or help her in a major way in gaining her seat at Winterfell.

Sorry for the ramblings of a man who just finished a long day at work

CLEGANEBOWL 2015 THE HYPE IS HERE FOLKS SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY

The Hound is dead. Sandor Clegane is now sweeping feces out of stables on some tiny island in the Riverlands. Gregor Clegane is dead. Whatever Strong is won't last, I don't think. Never liked the HoundxSansa ship. His saving her was to help with the subversion of the knight-in-shining-armor trope.

1. Definitely not retired. Arya says he was constantly restless in his last chapter, like he wasn't finished fighting.

2. I don't want him to be finished.

3. I think he's going to try for the Vale via boat to look for the Stark girls. I like the idea of him joining the burned men clan, they'd like him. As for resolving his desertion/murderous rampage criminal charges, I think when he gets to the Vale it will play out like this:

He's busted and opts for trial by combat for obvious reasons. Sansa's all "Harry the Heir darling, this crispy jerk beat me up in King's Landing, be a doll and kill him for me? You'll totally beat him, he's not even a knight like you" and Harry arrogantly tries and gets beaten within inches of his life (born-again Sandor is nice like that, maybe) So then Sandor's declared innocent and then Sansa runs over to Littlefinger and is like: "Daddy dearest, this guy knows who I am, but he won't sell me out to the queen if he has a nice job, and we need swords. Wanna hire him?" And then boom, Sandor's ready to help Sansa and gets paid to do it, yay.

They weren't aimed at you, it's simply the boards. Can't have a Clegane thread without the shipping or the Cleganebowl. Which is reasonable. Sandor's entire motivation is killing Gregor and no one can escape the unkiss.

You want snarky then perhaps you should dust off your dictionary and look up the meaning of it, perhaps google "asshole comments" while you're at it, I feel your name will come up.

I sort of hope that he stays retired. That maybe he found some peace, especially if he thinks his brother died a horrible death. But maybe when Arya comes back to Westeros, she will run into him there so that she knows that not giving him the mercy he asked for worked out for him in the end.

It would be satisfying to see the brothers Clegane try and hack each other to pieces, wouldn't it? For this reason, I don't think it will occur. The Hound found peace, it's a better ending than he could have hoped for squaring off against The Mountain.

1. Definitely not retired. Arya says he was constantly restless in his last chapter, like he wasn't finished fighting.

2. I don't want him to be finished.

3. I think he's going to try for the Vale via boat to look for the Stark girls. I like the idea of him joining the burned men clan, they'd like him. As for resolving his desertion/murderous rampage criminal charges, I think when he gets to the Vale it will play out like this:

He's busted and opts for trial by combat for obvious reasons. Sansa's all "Harry the Heir darling, this crispy jerk beat me up in King's Landing, be a doll and kill him for me? You'll totally beat him, he's not even a knight like you" and Harry arrogantly tries and gets beaten within inches of his life (born-again Sandor is nice like that, maybe) So then Sandor's declared innocent and then Sansa runs over to Littlefinger and is like: "Daddy dearest, this guy knows who I am, but he won't sell me out to the queen if he has a nice job, and we need swords. Wanna hire him?" And then boom, Sandor's ready to help Sansa and gets paid to do it, yay.

#3 I can see. Even though Sandor never beat Sansa, I could see "New Sansa" making the accusation, especially if Sweetrobyn were dead and Sansa was married to Harry.

If Harry wins, Sansa's position is the same.

If Sandor wins, she's the ruling Lady of the Vale, potential heir to Winterfell and the Riverlands.

#3 I can see. Even though Sandor never beat Sansa, I could see "New Sansa" making the accusation, especially if Sweetrobyn were dead and Sansa was married to Harry.

If Harry wins, Sansa's position is the same.

If Sandor wins, she's the ruling Lady of the Vale, potential heir to Winterfell and the Riverlands.

Oh yah, I think Sansa really wants Sandor to live and would fight dirty for his sake. It would REALLY tick off Sandor if she falsely accused him of beating her, and then he'd want to smash up her pretty knight boyfriend even worse and he'd win his trial easily and without any qualms about causing Sansa more pain. It's dark but not evil, total Littlefinger-ish move.

1. I think he'll come out of retirement to either aid the Stark girls or to figh Gregor Clegane.

2. I would like him to make an impact. His character and plot has so much potential! I wouldn't be down in the dumps though if he didn't return, I mean, it was quite a fitting ending.

3. I'm torn, and I don't mind. I would prefer him helping Sansa but fighting Gregor would be epic. Hopefully both can be merged but I doubt it.

I think we will see him again, but not fighting his brother or coming in sword drawn to save the day. Hes found peace, I like that. I would like to see him meet arya again, maybe help her find peace. That would be wonderful feel good moment.

I dont think he will see sansa again. He was kind of her first teacher in how to survive politics. Shes moved on to littlefinger university she doesnt need him anymore

While a Cleganebowl would be awesome, a Sandor vs. Gregor/Robert Strong matchup at this point would feel too forced, in my opinion. A lot of people want to see Sandor kill Gregor for what Gregor did to him when they were growing up, but I hope he lives the rest of his days in peace. The last fight took a heavy physical toll on Sandor, and even if he somehow completely recovered, I don't think it would make any sense for Sandor to drop his identity as the Gravedigger, leave the peaceful Quiet Isle, assume his identity as the Hound again, and somehow position himself to fight Gregor/Robert Strong. If the Gravedigger is really Sandor, which seems to be the case, I think it would be an appropriate, non-cliche happy ending for this tormented man. The Elder Brother said the Hound is dead, and I hope that angry and tormented aspect of Sandor's personality stays dead. The Hound personality was awesome and badass while it lasted, but its time has come and gone.

1. IDK how long his retirement will last, but it's not gonna be permanent. If GRRM wanted to take him out of the story, he would have just had Arya give him the gift of mercy and be done with it. QI is a place of healing, but as someone mentioned in another thread, it's not necessarily a hippie camp with everyone singing Kumbaya. Slightly OT, but I hang out in the Riverlands Web threads and there's a lot going on there. For starters, Stranger is being a major pain in the ass and many of us are seeing it as an indication that Sandor and his horse will hightail are outta there sooner rather than later.

2. I would prefer him to make an impact, and have seen some good ideas floating around, but it's ultimately up to George.

3. CLEGANEBOWL ain't happening, but there's a ton of things going on in the Riverlands. He has a lot of loose ends to tie up, and while I agree that The Hound is dead, he will still be badass simply as Sandor, just with less bitterness and rage. While I'm seeing some SanSan possibilities, the bigger picture is he will serve the Starks in some capacity. He will have to go through some further "testing" before he's accepted into the pack though.

Ok.

Like I said, dont think the "CLEGANEBOWL 2015 THE HYPE IS HERE FOLKS SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY" is going to happen. Also, wasn't shipping Sandor and Sansa.

Care for any more snarky, asshole comments?

Always makes me shake my head whenever someone starts a thread, on a discussion board, then gets pissy because someone else has a differing opinion. It's pretty much the height of arrogance to presume one's own opinion is so paramount, that not only are differencing ones frowned upon, but it's completely justifiable to personally attack anyone with one.

Back on topic, since you derailed your own thread with that snarky comment of your own, I happen to think the Hound's main contribution to the story is done. The man seems sick of it all and I don't see him getting involved again. There may be another cameo or two, maybe to tie in to Arya when she comes back to Westeros but that's it. I don't even think he'd give a damn about Robert Strong one way or the other.

Archived