Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

Of the two books by hyped new authors released this summer, I liked the Blade Itself best. The Lies of Locke Lamora (the other one I'm referring to) was a great read as well and had a more interesting setting and story, but Abercromie's characters were more engaging than Lynch's IMO.

TBI has what seems a pretty pedestrian plot in a thoroughly average world (northern barbarians without longboats, snobby aristocrats with better technology, fanatical desert dwellers who deal in slaves) but I don't mind all that. This books plays to my tastes. Original settings and story with a faster pace as in TLOLL would improve the novel no doubt, but so long as the characters are believable, conflicted and sympathetic I'm happy as larry. Abercrombie delivers that with the veteran berserker Logen Ninefingers, the feral escaped slave Ferro, the selfish fencer whose name escapes me and the half-mad torture victim turned inquisitor Glokta. Good cast, good novel, I look forward to the sequel.

Yes, I read this about a month ago and enjoyed it, though not as much as LOLL and I did have massive reservations at the end.

The characters are well presented but do suffer from sliding into well worn fantasty cliches; the barbarian with a soft heart, the snobby aristocrat, the knows everything but won't explain all powerful magician, the fearsome female warrior all appearing to go a quest at the end of the first book in search of mysterious object. However, the characters are done well and some of them really do feel original, especially Glokta, one of the inquisition's best torturers who has survived unspeakable torture himself in a previous war. He's fantastically grumpy. Grumpy is not something usually seen in fantasy characters and was quite refreshing as I am a big fan of grumpiness (bit of an expert really).

The background was not as exciting as LOLL though there were some nice set pieces including the fencing competition but the magical backstory felt remarkably similar to Eddings Belgariad ie. the main magician with his brothers (fellow magicians) all once disciples of a uber magician, dead for a number of thousands of years in a struggle with his evil(?) brother and leaving behind this magical object. Also the obligatory magical tower. Ho hum. I really hope Abercrombie handles the sequel well and we do not continue along the Eddings storyline which would be disappointing. I will definately buy the next book as some as the book was very promising but its 50/50 at the moment.

-the Bakker overtones/feel of some things

glad I wasnt the only one :)

At some point I had the thought that it seemed like a book that could be put out if Erikson and Bakker got together!

Of course since those two are some of the best out there it cant hurt Blade to be looked at in that light.

Damn Summon Author! That Scott Lynch has ruined it for the rest of us!

Many thanks for the kind words, it's always great when folks like your book, especially here where people really know their fantasy. It makes those long nights bent over the laptop seem worthwhile . . .

Werewolfv2, I've seen you saying good things around the place, glad you're enjoying it.

Stego, nice review, thanks. Overjoyed to see that I fared better at your hands than David Keck. Had to admit I was sweating for just a minute . . .

As far as the rest of the series goes, the second book, Before They are Hanged is finished, and with any luck ARCs will be circulating in the next couple of months, scheduled for release in the UK March 2007. The third and final part Last Argument of Kings is half written and should hit a release date of March 2008, or thereabouts. So no huge gaps, I hope.

No US publication as yet, alas, but I feel confident that if all of you get behind this, if all of you give it 100 percent, if you tell your friends and families to buy it, and if they tell theirs, before you know it . . . I can have a big-ass house.

Seems like we have ourselves a mad wizzard on the loose. :P

Been eyeing The Blade Itself for a while now actually; the local fantasy/sci-fi-book/board games shop has had it on display side by side with Bakker for quite some time now. Will pick it up when my study loan appears...

Archived