Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

I love this place. I randomly click on thread in the Literature section to see if I can find something to add to my to-buy list, and not only do I see decent reviews, but also the Author is kind enough to stop by and prove that he's relatively sane and normal (you have to be at least a little crazy to have signed up here).

I like the sound of 'like Bakker but not', as I liked what Bakker was doing but just couldn't get excited about it for some reason. I also like the sound of playing around with fantasy cliches; a very brave move, and will be very interested to see how that turns out.

And of course I'll add a congrats on the US publication pre-news. Not that I care if they ever get to read it over there. :P

Now just to find out whether it's in the shops here or I have to give Amazon my money again.

New World, here I come . . .

There may be some news of US Publication for the Blade Itself in the next few days.

well screw me

now Im going to have to get a US hardcover..but the good news will be that I will be able to get a US ARC since the UK ones are hard to find..

(psst Joe, wanna shook a brotha up with an ARC of Blade?)

The Author is kind enough to stop by and prove that he's relatively sane and normal

How little you know me.

Next step is then putting "NY Times Bestseller" on the cover of next edition!

I fear there may be just a couple more steps between now and then, alas . . .

(psst Joe, wanna shook a brotha up with an ARC of Blade?)

WW2, you are one ARC-crazy Mutha. You may laugh at this and say "pfah!", but the sad fact is I have only one ARC of The Blade Itself to my name. No, really. That's where I fit on the food chain.

• 4 weeks later...
Damn Summon Author! That Scott Lynch has ruined it for the rest of us!

Many thanks for the kind words, it's always great when folks like your book, especially here where people really know their fantasy. It makes those long nights bent over the laptop seem worthwhile . . .

Werewolfv2, I've seen you saying good things around the place, glad you're enjoying it.

Stego, nice review, thanks. Overjoyed to see that I fared better at your hands than David Keck. Had to admit I was sweating for just a minute . . .

As far as the rest of the series goes, the second book, Before They are Hanged is finished, and with any luck ARCs will be circulating in the next couple of months, scheduled for release in the UK March 2007. The third and final part Last Argument of Kings is half written and should hit a release date of March 2008, or thereabouts. So no huge gaps, I hope.

No US publication as yet, alas, but I feel confident that if all of you get behind this, if all of you give it 100 percent, if you tell your friends and families to buy it, and if they tell theirs, before you know it . . . I can have a big-ass house.

{Laughs} I am keeping my fingers crossed for your big-ass house...

My computer just went bonkers...some sort of real loud ass music with clanging and banging...has to be an ad for some fantasy classic...can't find where the message is coming from...the music is really giving my sub-wolfer a work out...

Finally got it yesterday! I'm still on Lies of Locke Lamora, so it'll have to wait for few days.

BTW, NICE COVER! I like the way it feels under fingers. Hard to drop it:-)

And I just love the quote "There's no good and bad, only bad and worse".

I think I'm going to like this guy. And I already like Scott Lynch.

I finished it recently myself, and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. At the very least, there is quite a bit of humor in the interactions between the characters. I cant stand books that take themselves too seriously, and this one definitely doesnt.

I would agree, Glotka is the most interesting of the lot of characters.

I think the humour was one of the most important parts, I felt it was well intergrated into the story, plus I've sigged one of the funniest parts, hooray.

Glokta was very enjoyable to read, though I hope he doesn't become to much a soft touch, not that he is a soft touch, but just in case, there were signs towards the end.

And yeah, the book feels really good, I mean really really good, some lovelly embossing.

I preordered the HC for book two yesterday since I am stupidly self indulgent and hate waiting for books to come out in the US. mmmm tasty books!!!

gonna be a nice wait till March, isnt that when it comes out?

Glokta was very enjoyable to read, though I hope he doesn't become to much a soft touch, not that he is a soft touch, but just in case, there were signs towards the end.

he rocks, I wouldnt spend to much time worring about what might happen in book 2. If you liked one, then you may really like 2!

I think the humour was one of the most important parts, I felt it was well intergrated into the story, plus I've sigged one of the funniest parts, hooray.

Like. A. Fucking. Chicken. :rofl:

Funniest moment for me, dont know if I'd sig it though.

Cheers for the encouragement, folks. It's nice when people read your books . . . It's even nicer when they actually like them.

I preordered the HC for book two yesterday since I am stupidly self indulgent and hate waiting for books to come out in the US. mmmm tasty books!!!

And when they buy the next one is best of all. Especially in hardback.

I've sigged one of the funniest parts, hooray.

And yeah, the book feels really good, I mean really really good, some lovelly embossing.

Oh yeah . . . You know you've really arrived when someone quotes you on their sig.

And the type of praise an author dreams of. I'll be writing sweet smelling books next.

I wouldnt spend to much time worring about what might happen in book 2. If you liked one, then you may really like 2!

Forget about the content, you should see the feely stuff they've got planned for the next one! It's going to be similar grip-friendly textured paper, but with the title depressed into the cover, and a design behind picked out in icy blue foil. Oh man that's going to be one great-feeling book!

Joe, just received my hardcover to go with the review copy. (I actually had to buy that one, alas.)

Looking forward to the next, and I'm glad you have a deal in the US. Did I miss the announcement? Who did you sign with?

Archived