Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

Joe, just received my hardcover to go with the review copy. (I actually had to buy that one, alas.)

Oh yeah, I love it when even reviewers want to shell out for a copy.

Looking forward to the next, and I'm glad you have a deal in the US. Did I miss the announcement? Who did you sign with?

Announcement is pending, though the deal is now confirmed. Don't want to jump the gun, so I'll announce when they do. Let me only say that you either have remarkable powers of clairvoyance, or perhaps control the publishing industry with your mind . . .

Announcement is pending, though the deal is now confirmed. Don't want to jump the gun, so I'll announce when they do. Let me only say that you either have remarkable powers of clairvoyance, or perhaps control the publishing industry with your mind . . .

Sweet. I've been waiting for this book to come out in the States. Woohoo!

So cool to see another author posting here - especially when I really enjoyed their book:)

(is it my imagination or has this been a really good year for 'new' fantasy authors? Abercrombie, Lynch, Abnett, Campbell)

Agree with the people who think Glotka is a great character. Really looking forward to the next book - with any luck I might actually be able to find a hardback copy this time:p

Halfway through, I can only say I like it more and more.

As I started as soon as I finished LoLL, I was kinda disappointed after first few chapters. But, writing style improved significantly over the first half of the book.

Now, I really can't point out any of the characters. They are all really fine.

Well done, Joe.

BTW, somebody mentioned that the next book is due in March. Is that really so?

So cool to see another author posting here - especially when I really enjoyed their book:)

Really looking forward to the next book - with any luck I might actually be able to find a hardback copy this time:p

Delighted to be here. Very interesting to hear what a well-informed readership has to say about it. As long as it's all good, of course.

Stego likes it + daj likes it + everyone not named Mult likes it + author posts in forum = Bronn will buy this on release in the US.

I sold one, Mother! I sold one!

BTW, somebody mentioned that the next book is due in March. Is that really so?

Before They Are Hanged will be out in the UK in March 2007, and at the moment the third book, Last Argument of Kings, is looking good for March 2008. Just had a baby a couple of weeks ago, so writing has slowed somewhat. Alright, it's stopped completely, but we'll get there in the end . . .

Joe, please give us a map in book 2! PLEASE!

please don't give us a map in book two! PLEASE!

Interesting, this business of maps. People seem to either love 'em or hate 'em, and probably you've all discussed the ass off this issue a thousand times. I can see the attraction but on the whole I find myself in the against camp. For me, epic fantasy can be a bit too obsessed with setting at the expense of . . . well . . . everything else.

I'm sometimes really confused as it seems that everything is overseas from Adua. Is Midderland an island?

And yes, Midderland is an island. See? You don't need a map!

For me, epic fantasy can be a bit too obsessed with setting at the expense of . . . well . . . everything else.

I don't understand this. Why would providing a good map have to go at the expense of........well anything?

What's to prevent you from doing your fine characterization and still provide a map for your Fantasy world? And why does having a map in your books signal too much attention to setting?

I'm with Cali here.

I really don't see why maps would cause any nitpicking.

But having maps may put some pressure on writer to be more consistent. I found some authors (Sarah Ash for one) lose the sense of space (and time needed to cover certain distances) in their books. From what I've seen of Joe's writing, there's not much chance of that.

Well, let's say I just like to have it. Not having it will not make me think less of a book. As simple as that.

It pleases me if an epic Fantasy book has a good map. It's part of the package for me, much as I also love a character list or a glossary. It's not essential for the enjoyment of a stort but some Fantasy books could really use them. I also think the reasons for why people like maps are blatantly obvious.

... I honestly do not understand how people can be so anal and try to suck the joy out of something they are doing for pleasure.

I completely understand your reasons. It's just that some of us work differently.

I still haven't met anybody who would be anal about the map and complain about number of days needed to reach certain destination.

But, as I said, sometime it really bugs when the sense of the world (which was by the way completely invented) is diminished due to some inconsistencies. I already mentioned Sarah Ash's Tears of Artamon. Sometimes it feels like everything happens in a backyard. That can greatly diminish the story. Especially since one of the characteristics of (epic) fantasy is this sense of 'grandeur'.

In the particular case of The Blade Itself - some wars are brewing and I only want to be able to have my opinion on the decisions of certain generals. Or I would like to understand the importance of fleet built by Gurkhul (considering Joe's input above, it may really be extremely significant). Or I would like to know where's the Northmen capital in relation to Angland and Adua. Or... you get the point. I do not expect parallels to our own world or something like this.

As you mentioned SSM and map comments-yeah, purists can sometimes be pain in the ass. But when you think that so many beautiful discussions arose from grasping the details in ASOIAF in the past few years....I think it's the main reason why this board is one of the best on the web, isn't it?

Archived