Petyr Baelish's Interrogation

Lithon

I had an issue with this scene. Apart from Sansa suddenly being able to lie convincingly, it made Littlefinger look like a fool by making no plan to deal with the Lords Declarant. I thought it would have been far stronger had it been revealed in that subsequent Sansa/LF scene that Littlefinger had prepped Sansa to do that, which is what happens in the book - it would have been a nice reveal and made LF seem as smart as he should be. (In fact I assumed that Littlefinger had prepped Sansa until it was revealed otherwise.)

It also perhaps challenges the belief that Sansa will eventually be the ruin/death of LF as here she could have had him taken out, by telling the truth, but instead she got him off the hook.

It also perhaps challenges the belief that Sansa will eventually be the ruin/death of LF as here she could have had him taken out, by telling the truth, but instead she got him off the hook.

She has no real reason to destroy him at the moment, since she doesn't know about his various moves against the Stark family (even less than in the book version).

As to the original question, if Sansa hadn't saved him, he would have been executed for murder.

She does the same in the books, doesn't she? She could have told the truth in the books, too, and that would be two witnesses against LF.

The reason she didn't is that she's scared and finds it safer to be with LF, who she knows won't turn her over to the Queen. I'm not sure that this is so different from what she does in the show, apart from show!LF being considerably stupider and more inept than his book counterpart.

She does the same in the books, doesn't she? She could have told the truth in the books, too, and that would be two witnesses against LF.

The reason she didn't is that she's scared and finds it safer to be with LF, who she knows won't turn her over to the Queen. I'm not sure that this is so different from what she does in the show, apart from show!LF being considerably stupider and more inept than his book counterpart.

What is so different in the show is Sansa reveals herself. This means to a certain degree she has already put a lot of trust in the Lords of the Vale, because they now know a secret which can easily get her killed simply by informing the right people. In contrast, in the book she decides it is safer to keep her identity secret. She also is simply doing what Littlefinger tells her. In the show, they make it explicit she left script and revealed her identity (which is dangerous) for the sole purpose of saving Littlefinger. It is one thing to tell his lies, its another thing to make your own lies to save him. Especially when she should realize he's a murderer who kills the people who work for him (Ser Dontos).

What is so different in the show is Sansa reveals herself. This means to a certain degree she has already put a lot of trust in the Lords of the Vale, because they now know a secret which can easily get her killed simply by informing the right people. In contrast, in the book she decides it is safer to keep her identity secret. She also is simply doing what Littlefinger tells her. In the show, they make it explicit she left script and revealed her identity (which is dangerous) for the sole purpose of saving Littlefinger. It is one thing to tell his lies, its another thing to make your own lies to save him. Especially when she should realize he's a murderer who kills the people who work for him (Ser Dontos).

I don't think that "she trusts the lords/but she doesn't trust them" thing that the show has going makes a whole lot of sense, either - or if it does, the show didn't put an effort into explaining why (I could try to come up with explanations, perhaps, but I don't want to do their job for them). But my point is that I don't see how Sansa lying to save Littlefinger because she thinks she's safer with him around - the same thing she does in the book, albeit coached and under different circumstances - means she can't bring him down eventually, any more than it meant when you were reading the books.

• 3 months later...

A lot of bookreaders had a major issue with LF's portrayal in this scene, and yes it made him look pretty weak.

I think he definitely had a way to get out of this situation, or he simply bet a lot on Sansa. Either way, I like show-Littlefinger. I was actually shocked to see how much hate he garnered online.

In the show Baelish says that "some men never take risks" to Sansa early on in the season when he helps her escape. I think he knew it was a risk to put his future in her hands, but I have full confidence that he probably had an escape plan. It would have most certainly set him back a few steps, but I'm sure he had a way to get out of there. Someone paid off to help him escape if it came to it (purely speculation, but he's not an idiot).

When Sansa took his side his lust/love object took his side in his eyes and gave him something he had always desired. The thing is, I don't think him putting himself in a vulnerable situation was the reveal of his weakness, as I believe that was a part of his plan. His weakness is in fact Sansa herself. He never got what he wanted with Cat, and that's what made him so devious, ruthless, and successful. He hated everyone and all he had was ambition. Now all the power his ambition won him is Sansa's, and she's just learning how to manipulate. I'm not exactly a huge Sansa fan, but I think she's about to become very dangerous.

In the show Baelish says that "some men never take risks" to Sansa early on in the season when he helps her escape. I think he knew it was a risk to put his future in her hands, but I have full confidence that he probably had an escape plan. It would have most certainly set him back a few steps, but I'm sure he had a way to get out of there. Someone paid off to help him escape if it came to it (purely speculation, but he's not an idiot).

When Sansa took his side his lust/love object took his side in his eyes and gave him something he had always desired. The thing is, I don't think him putting himself in a vulnerable situation was the reveal of his weakness, as I believe that was a part of his plan. His weakness is in fact Sansa herself. He never got what he wanted with Cat, and that's what made him so devious, ruthless, and successful. He hated everyone and all he had was ambition. Now all the power his ambition won him is Sansa's, and she's just learning how to manipulate. I'm not exactly a huge Sansa fan, but I think she's about to become very dangerous.

I am a Sansa fan.

I thank you for your pov. There's definitely something to it.

And... we miss you. In a certain thread. ;o)

I am a Sansa fan.

I thank you for your pov. There's definitely something to it.

And... we miss you. In a certain thread. ;o)

Just when I thought I was out, he pulls me back in! :-D

She's not my fav character, for certain, but I do think she's got a big part to play and is a well developed character. Martin's got a lot of those, and I have a particular fondness for Starks...obviously. When is this "A Time for Wolves" going to happen, I ask you?! Isn't it their time yet, dang it? :)

The writers make it quite clear in the BTS pieces that nothing like that was happening. He had no plan.

The writers make it quite clear in the BTS pieces that nothing like that was happening. He had no plan.

Interesting.

I'm at a loss then. But I'm not too worried about it, because I hate the guy. If he's an idiot, I'm only too glad to announce it. :)

At the same time, show LF and book LF are two different people. Either way, I despise them both. Not even sure why I was defending him. Let's just say I was simply pushing out observations and suggestions. Truth be told, I want him, Cersei, and Frey to die more than anything. Bad deaths too, mind you. No easy way outs.

He had a plan. The only question was whether Sansa was going to go along with the prepared story or not, which is what he could have asked her about. We don't know, and inferring something from basically nothing is not good detective work.

Archived