Interstellar 2 - My God, it's full of SPOILERS

williamjm

Nice thread title.

I'm going to be catching the movie again this weekend with a few friends that haven't haven't seen it yet, this time on IMAX. I'm looking forward to it. I still have a lot of issues with the movie, some which I can't see changing, but regardless I'm interested to see what a repeat-viewing does for my opinion on it.

Saw this today, I enjoyed it. While I wouldn't put it up with Nolans best movies, it definitely holds its own. As most other people have pointed out its weakest part is the last 30-40 minutes. While not terrible, it simply went too Hollywood, and wasn't grounded in reality so to speak, like the first 2 hours. The middle act is by far the strongest, I thought it was close to some of the best sci-fi I've seen on the big screen in years.

Overall I'd probably just give it a 8/10.

The performances were brilliant all round and I loved the visuals.

I enjoyed the movie but I doubt I will sit through it again. I always come away feeling a little unsatisfied with movies that muck around with time, ythe never get it right and they leave too much unexplained. Also why couldn't Matthew McConaghy die? He shoulda died, it was enough that Murph knew it was him sending back the info. I'd have preferred an ending where we don't see what's back in our solar system, but instead a pilot turns up at Ann Hathaway's camp saying he's Coop's great grandson, and plan A worked.

Didn't read the first thread, so not sure if any of these points have been raised, but here we go - I actually liked the parts on the far side of the wormhole WAY more than the Earth-bound stuff, which generally seemed stupid and implausible. I get that there has to be a certain amount of handwaving for any high-concept SF, but I'd have so much preferred it if they'd picked a different reason for "Earth is doomed". Cos srsly, if you can't even deal with the Blight, how the shit do you expect to be able to terraform a completely alien planet containing who knows what sort of other organisms? And O how very Century City was the Cooper Station; yay we've saved a handful of middle-class Americans, and there's even room for a reconstructed farmhouse museum instead of all the other amazing history that we're leaving behind on Earth along with the many other billions of refugees who are probably suffocating to death right now! Didn't feel even remotely plausible.

BUT! It was basically awesome, bar the annoying bits and sappy interludes. Definitely glad I saw it at the cinema.

I just told myself the Blight was some sort of evolving nanotech. They have repurposed AI farming the fields, driving the combines, drones flying high in the atmo for decades. Of course they'd have dust clouds of rogue military nanotech gradually adapting to kill all the crops.

What on Earth makes you still there are billions on Earth suffocating to death? I think billions had already died long before the movie started. Then by the end Murph solved gravity. She saved everyone, they all got off into space without having to relying on chemical rockets. That seems deserving of a museum.

I liked it a lot, but my god, the dialogue reached Shyamalan levels of awkward at times.

I do have to give Nolan credit for his sheer discipline and economy with the different planets, just like in Inception. Another director (cough James Cameron cough) would have crammed that shit with CGI alien plants and whatnot, but Nolan kept it nice and tidy and visually neat. I don't take that for granted, considering the Zach Snyders or Sam Raimis of the world. Yuck.

I really enjoyed the film, but the final twenty minutes confused the hell out of me and my friends. I thought that turning the final act into pure science-fiction was a mistake, but I enjoyed it regardless. I would give the film an 8/10. It's no game-changer like 2001: A Space Odyssey, though I got the Dr Mann character gave me a HAL-9000 vibe to him

I'm reading Kip Thorne's Science of Interstellar (he's the physicist who worked heavily with Christopher and Jonathan Nolan to make the sciency-aspects of this as realistic as possible). Interesting stuff, especially when it comes to the physics and some of the other elements.

Regarding the Blight, he did a two-hour recorded dinner with some experts in the field on it. The general consensus was that it was super-unlikely, although they didn't rule it out completely - you do get "general blights" that can hit multiple plants, but it comes at a price in lethality. The only thing that could really kill off all the plants would be some type of parasite that kills chloroplasts in any type of plant life, and even then you'd have a lot of time if you could somehow keep yourself fed - the oxygen levels in the atmosphere wouldn't drop anywhere near that quickly, nor would CO2 levels rise high enough as a result so as to make the atmosphere poisonous to humans.

But if you want to go down that hole, it's just somewhere that you have to go with artistic license. The fact that all they needed was the gravity equation to get their space colony off the ground means they presumably had the other stuff all figured out: how to make new goods from raw materials in space, how to maintain the habitat, how to keep it self-contained and separated from the outside, etc. Basically, they had all the elements to build a ton of underground habitats with the same features much earlier, which makes you wonder what the point of going into space would be.

Yeah, that was sort of my gripe. Some kind of more external threat to the earth (like the sun imminently going nova, or an Encroachment of a space dust cloud a la Feersum Endjinn) would have been a more compelling reason to evacuate, rather than a biological threat that we had no guarantee would be eliminated on New Planet anyway.

I saw it last night and it was great fun.

I loved some shots (my favourite was the one of Saturn and the spaceship as a shiny dot coming across it), loved how there was no sound in space (soundtrack music excluded) and the human story was well done.

As far as the science is concerned, though I'm no stranger to physics, astrophysics is definitely not my area of expertise so I'd rather avoid discussing how accurate the movie is.

The ending was a bit predictable (I figured out they were sending messages to themselves about half way through the movie).

Also, the whole "happily ever after" and the segue to the sequel didn't feel quite right to me.

Archived