Question about Cersei and Jaime

ant1010

Didn't Jaime always have a good sense just how evil his sister was? It seems like the more I read the more Jaime is finding out just what kind of woman Cersei is, but why is he so surprised? Did Jaime actually think that Cersei was his and that she didn't sleep around behind his back and was capable and willing to do just about anything to keep her power?

Well she didn't always 'sleep around', did she? I think the first occasion of cheating on Jaime with Lancel was the first time they'd been separated.

Also remember how Jaime's character has developed and become more sympathetic as the series progresses. He started out as a real bastard himself, throwing a child out of a window in the hopes of killing him, all in order to hide his incest.

Cersei never really had power until after Robert's death when she became Queen Regent. I think that's when her scheming, political side really came to the fore.

Well, the closer you are to someone, the more willing you are to overlook their faults. There's that one line in either this book or ASOS where Jaime is talking to Cersei and says "Tyrion would never lie to me, any more than you would," and Cersei responds "He's lied to you a thousand times, and so have I," or something to that effect. As cynical and jaded as Jaime was to the concept of knighthood by that point, he's still idealistic where his siblings are concerned.

Well, the closer you are to someone, the more willing you are to overlook their faults. There's that one line in either this book or ASOS where Jaime is talking to Cersei and says "Tyrion would never lie to me, any more than you would," and Cersei responds "He's lied to you a thousand times, and so have I," or something to that effect. As cynical and jaded as Jaime was to the concept of knighthood by that point, he's still idealistic where his siblings are concerned.

Ah yes of course, that's a good point. Also, welcome to the boards!

Archived