GRRM at recent charity event: I'm still in the middle of the book

Robb_Warged

At a recent charity event (yesterday, November 16), GRRM spoke about the fans who have donated to charity to have characters that will be killed off in future books;

"We're going back and forth, I've started emailing them," Martin tells me. "I'm still in the middle of the book, so it'll be some time before I write the scenes in which they die."

http://mashable.com/2014/11/16/george-rr-martin-charity-event/

Uhhhh these charity characters, are they supposed to be in TWOW or ADOS?

The actor who plays Davos said something similar:

"He's just halfway through the 6th book at the minute, and we are onto season 5, so what's going to happen is we're about to overtake the books. So everybody that was kind of was going yeah I know happens, I know what happens, they're not going to know what happens anymore, because we're about to overtake. So for the rest of the possible two seasons that are left... everything is going to be a surprise to everybody."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjzrex-7Bw

Also gives credence to those rumors about the rumors of The Winds of Winter being delayed to 2016.

2016 sounds soon to me for someone halfway through a novel like an ASOIAF novel. I'm not sure how many pages he writes in a year, but all things considered, 2016 sounds okay to me. I just don't want the show to spoil the book for me. And I don't want to have to drop the show either to avoid being spoiled. If TWOW released in between seasons 5 and 6, that would be sometime between summer 2015 and Spring 2016. ADWD released in 2011 right? In this scenario that would have been 4 to 5 years for him to write TWOW before the show reached too much material from that book, possibly stealing its thunder.

This brings to mind the time I was widely mocked on this forum two or three years ago when I argued it was so much more likely that The Winds of Winter would be released in 2017 than in 2015. Back then, there were actually those sure it was going to have a 2014 release.

Oh, my sweet summer children . . .

Also gives credence to those rumors about the rumors of The Winds of Winter being delayed to 2016.

2016 has been the most probable date for a while now (people who thought it was coming in 2015 were engaging in reckless optimism).

I'm not sure how many pages he writes in a year

Per past statements, 500 pages a year is a "good year" for him. TWOW is projected to be around 1500 manuscript pages. If being in "the middle" meant that he had 750 pages written, a "good year" between now and next November would get him to around 1250. But we're dealing in very, very rough estimates here. It's also quite possible that what constitutes a "good year" for him has degraded since he gave that assessment of his speed.

So yeah, mid-2016 at the earliest, I think, which increasingly suggests that the show will beat him to book six as well.

Archived