GRRM at recent charity event: I'm still in the middle of the book

Robb_Warged

Per past statements, 500 pages a year is a "good year" for him. TWOW is projected to be around 1500 manuscript pages. If being in "the middle" meant that he had 750 pages written, a "good year" between now and next November would get him to around 1250. But we're dealing in very, very rough estimates here. It's also quite possible that what constitutes a "good year" for him has degraded since he gave that assessment of his speed.

He gave us his page counts for A Dance With Dragons throughout the writing process and we can extrapolate out for A Feast for Crows.

Which is to say he has not had a "good year" this millennium.

I'm starting to think that he's trying to troll HBO. Like, "I'll let them finish their silly fanfic and after they have killed and cut everybody they shouldn't have, I'll present my fans the real glorious ending... and those loyal to me will wait and rejoice...!".

Of course, those loyal to him will be already dead by the time the books are published :dunno:

By the way, I find the Liam Cunningham comments much more dispiriting and probative. He confirms he knows exactly how much published material is left, when the television adaption is finishing and when they will be passing into the unpublished realm, all in one statement.

Middle, end of Middle, Middle Liddle, who knows, could be 80%, could be 95% once he decides to split the book in two.

Yup. Worse-case scenario, 1500 pages, reluctant to edit, splits book in half. We get first half 2016, second half 2021. Same thing for Dream of Spring: First half 2026, grand finale 2031.

Litany of fucks.

How about post-ASOIAF projects like Fire&Blood, D&E stories?

I am thinking 2025 or thereabouts would be when we get the first of those projects. Although, given that the television series will have passed him by the spring of 2016, maybe he will give up prioritizing the series proper at that point.

Ghosts will haunt the earth, wanting to know how it turned out...

After final book is published, there is going to be a high demand of ouija boards everywhere. That, or at least we already found a way to communicate with the death. I can even imagine people in Asia elevating paper balloons that read "grandpa! you were right! Dany was the villain all along!".

Isn't it possible that he has finished more than half and has just gone back to the "middle" to write or edit some stuff? He has said before he finished the entire book before going back and writing the chapter for the Red Wedding. He also has said many times that he goes back and revises and edits, which is why tWoW is taking so long. I still expect a 2016 release as well, but "still in the middle" to me is different from "have only finished half of the book".

This brings to mind the time I was widely mocked on this forum two or three years ago when I argued it was so much more likely that The Winds of Winter would be released in 2017 than in 2015. Back then, there were actually those sure it was going to have a 2014 release.

Oh, my sweet summer children . . .

2017 is a long time future.. hes halfway through it, hes given 2015 as an estimation. Maybe early 1u, but not 17.

2017 is a long time future.. hes halfway through it, hes given 2015 as an estimation. Maybe early 1u, but not 17.

Well, considering that he started writing the book in January of 2012, that would be the quite the uptick in writing speed. That said, I would dearly love to be wrong.

I'm starting to think that he's trying to troll HBO. Like, "I'll let them finish their silly fanfic and after they have killed and cut everybody they shouldn't have, I'll present my fans the real glorious ending... and those loyal to me will wait and rejoice...!".

Martin signed a contract with HBO and gave them the rights. He also told D&D (and Cogman) the ending, in broad strokes at first and in detail a couple of years ago. D&D have stated the ending is great and they fully intent to stick to it, even if the way that leads there may not be always the same.

So, I think the ending of the show will look considerably like the ending of the books.

I consider that a good thing: it will give us an ending and at the same time, lots to discuss. Some things will be different in the books (the fate or impact of secondary and tertiary characters, for example), but on the other hand the broad strokes of the show's ending will show which (major) theories were right and which were wrong. I think that's better than endless back-and-forth that may never get resolved.

And... cue the entitled fan posts claiming that GRRM works for us and how he should stop making public appearances and he shouldn't work on side products and he should this and he shouldn't that. He'll be done when he's done folks and it will be glorious.

And... cue the entitled fan posts claiming that GRRM works for us and how he should stop making public appearances and he shouldn't work on side products and he should this and he shouldn't that. He'll be done when he's done folks and it will be glorious.

He has the right to take as long as he wants to get these books done. And we have the right to bitch about it.

The show will be done earlier, though. Cue the outrage towards D&D "disrespecting Martin".

Archived