HighGarden= Little Slice of Heaven?

Seaworth'sShipmate

HighGarden, from Olenna's descriptions sounds like a little slice of heaven imo.

There seems to just beautiful and fun things there, and one doesn't have to deal with sad, horrible things like people dying, or being killed, and there is always delicious food and fun and games.

Is this an accurate perception of the Reach's most magnificent Castle?

No. I'm sure there are lots of pretty flowers. But just like every where else there will be plots and betrayals and people getting killed.

Idk. It seems that everyone would get along there. When Eddard was Lord of Winterfell, there were not plots.

Im sure if one was just some servant at HighGarden, they should be having a nice time of it, and might even avoid getting killed ( as long as they are not conscripted.)

If I was in Westeros, I would hire myself out to HighGarden as some part of the household staff.

Has there ever been a place in the series that is a serene paradise where everyone gets along?

If you were a servant at any castle during peace time things would be good as long as the Lord isn't a bad guy.

Look back to Winterfell in the first Game of Thrones book.

While not saintly, Lord Tyrell + co, are not wantonly cruel and unjust. Im sure any servant would have a reasonable time of it.

I think even Roose Bolton wouldn't kill and torture his help, unless he like a high staff turnover rate, and thinks its sensible to have to retrain people on how to do their jobs all the time.

Look back to Winterfell in the first Game of Thrones book.

While not saintly, Lord Tyrell + co, are not wantonly cruel and unjust. Im sure any servant would have a reasonable time of it.

I think even Roose Bolton wouldn't kill and torture his help, unless he like a high staff turnover rate, and thinks its sensible to have to retrain people on how to do their jobs all the time.

Roose raped a man's wife for not being informed of the marriage, You really think he treats his servants well? Yeah he probably doesn't murder them but I wouldn't doubt that he is violent and cruel.

The view of Winterfell we get in aGoT is overwhelming from the Stark children who, like most lordly kids, think their home is awesome. It's a good place to live but that doesn't mean everyone gets along or that it's some sort of paradise.

If your going on how it looks. Then ya little slice of heaven is accurate. The World of ice and fire describes it as the most beautiful castle in the seven kingdoms. It fits perfectly with the landscape. As far as culturally I would imagine is a lot like any other great lords court. Deceit, lies, everyone trying to get ahead. Just look at how the tyrells act once in kings landing court. Murder, lies, usual things. No different

Roose raped a man's wife for not being informed of the marriage, You really think he treats his servants well? Yeah he probably doesn't murder them but I wouldn't doubt that he is violent and cruel.

The view of Winterfell we get in aGoT is overwhelming from the Stark children who, like most lordly kids, think their home is awesome. It's a good place to live but that doesn't mean everyone gets along or that it's some sort of paradise.

Well no kidding Wintefell isn't a little slice of heaven. Its up in the North for goodness sake, and is in kind of a harsh environment.

High Garden looks like it must be some magnificent French palace, sort of an oasis of goodness.

I mean I think there might enough good cheer and merriment there that even the White Walkers and Iron Born won't bother the happy inhabitants. There will be fighting and wars, and ice zombies outside of High Garden and the servants might ask each other, while munching on scones and sipping Arbor gold, "Did you hear that noise?" "hmmm maybe" ( both go back to dining, drinking and having fun)

Well no kidding Wintefell isn't a little slice of heaven. Its up in the North for goodness sake, and is in kind of a harsh environment.

High Garden looks like it must be some magnificent French palace, sort of an oasis of goodness.

I mean I think there might enough good cheer and merriment there that even the White Walkers and Iron Born won't bother the happy inhabitants. There will be fighting and wars, and ice zombies outside of High Garden and the servants might ask each other, while munching on scones and sipping Arbor gold, "Did you hear that noise?" "hmmm maybe" ( both go back to dining, drinking and having fun)

You know the Iron Born are out the mouth of the Mader right? All of Euron's captains wanted to assault HIghgarden.

A place being aesthetically pleasing and being a paradise where everyone holds hands and gets along isn't the same thing.

HighGarden, from Olenna's descriptions sounds like a little slice of heaven imo.

There seems to just beautiful and fun things there, and one doesn't have to deal with sad, horrible things like people dying, or being killed, and there is always delicious food and fun and games.

Is this an accurate perception of the Reach's most magnificent Castle?

Oh, summer's child, you are as innocent as the lamb on your sigil! :lmao:

I doubt Euron Greyjoy's going to be going after Highgarden. That stunt with the Shields is the type of thing that only works once. The ironborn don't practice siegecraft, and Highgarden is one of the greatest castles in the world. Oldtown and the Arbor are softer, richer targets.

On a sidenote, Higarden has a -HEDGEMAZE- included in its formidable defenses. When I saw the picture of that in the world book, I was like "That's pretty awesome."

But yeah, the descriptions are pretty amazing of it, not just from Olenna but from the world book as well. It's apparently a center of learning, culture, and high art. There's not many places where those sorts of things are appreciated, so a famous bard, poet, painter, sculptor, or other cultural profession would definitely consider it an amazing place to live, to say the least of chivalric paragons, for whom the place has historically been amazing to. It's no great mystery to see why the Tyrells and Gardeners before them bred incredible knights.

Richest agricultural region in Westeros, wealthy, and as safe a castle as Winterfell (it's better really).

Well I guess there's more food, milder winters, prettier gardens and less brutal wars, which in Westeros is actually quite a lot to ask for. I don't know about being "heaven" though - I kind of thought the whole point of ASOIAF was that pretty appearances mean nothing, and that nothing is perfect and pure... every person, story and location is a grey mixture of right and wrong.

It's beautiful place, there are politics at play for sure but but your chances of getting royally fucked are somewhat smaller then in King's Landing or somewhere else. But everything else is so nice and perfect and cozy especially when you compare it to the, say North, there is really stark contrast.

Archived