Dolorous Edd should have been played by Karl Pilkington

H.P.

Karl Pilkington quotes could easily be swapped for Ed too:

If somebody told me I'd never eat papaya again, I wouldn't be bothered. I feel like this about most fruit.

Neil Armstrong, that spaceman, he went to the moon but he ain't been back. It can't have been that good.

Karl is great but Ben Crompton is more than hangdog enough. He just needs more droll lines.

I watched the show before I read the book, and I honestly didn't even know about Edd's existence before I read the books. So I'd say Edd's been given too little attention in the show. Then again, that could be due to my terrible attention span. The only Brothers of the Night Watch I could name in the show were Jon, Sam, Aemon and Thorne. The rest were just "the others" (lower case o).

So I had to look Crompton up online. He looks allright, I guess, but he's too big and strong, and not surly looking enough.

I watched the show before I read the book, and I honestly didn't even know about Edd's existence before I read the books. So I'd say Edd's been given too little attention in the show. Then again, that could be due to my terrible attention span. The only Brothers of the Night Watch I could name in the show were Jon, Sam, Aemon and Thorne. The rest were just "the others" (lower case o).

So I had to look Crompton up online. He looks allright, I guess, but he's too big and strong, and not surly looking enough.

I started watching the show before I read the books too but I was after starting ACOK before S2 aired so I'd "met" Edd in the books before he appeared on the show:

I think this was his first line The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do...

And he instantly became my favourite minor character :wub:

He has definitely been under utilised on the show but then there entire characters who have been cut out and some bigger characters have had a lot of great lines taken from them (not trying to start a war, I love Show!Stannis dearly, but he has lost some great lines from the books) so the fact that Edd is even there is a Good Thing. And he might well be used more next year. There's only Sam and him on "Jon's side" now and he'd have the ability to cut through a few of the tense scenes with the odd Dolorous Edd-ism or two.

Karl Pilkington quotes could easily be swapped for Ed too:

I've only seen the first series of An Idiot Abroad but I loved it.....standing by the pyramids and a dirty nappy flies past in the breeze "they don't mention this in the guide books"

Also when he went to Petra and was saying how you'd be better off being in a cave looking across at the buildings. And then he had to spend the night in the cave across from them anyway. He loved that cave!

I can imagine Edd going to the Red Keep or the Water Gardens of Dorne and moaning about the weather. He might be too cold up North but I can almost guarantee he doesn't like hot weather either

Archived