Sherlock

Jaxom 1974

Well that was much better than last week, but still not up to standard. I feel that they cheated with the bloke in the kitchen and Mrs Hudson asking who Sherlock was talking to, only to have someone actually there.

Also was it just me who thought Mrs Hudson was a bit too much this week? Not sure if the acting was off or something.

The curse of the 2nd episode is broken, someone else said that a couple pages ago, and I agree.  This was the strongest of the middle stories for sure. It was a little too visually masturbatory with the flashes and inserts, but it seemed to lessen a bit as Sherlock sobered up a bit.  This episode had a lot of trickery that you have to stomach for it to work fully.  Mycroft's surveillance somehow just not seeing the woman with Sherlock?  Even if you buy that she was somehow able to jam the cameras, it just doesn't make sense that she could keep herself just out of frame in the shots they did have.  There are just too many cameras and it was Sherlock who was choosing the route. The paper from fake-Faith falling behind the furniture was another dumb coincidence.  Some of that is just Moffat I think.

Toby Jones is an excellent actor, who I've enjoyed since his appearances on Midsomer Muders.  He makes a good hero or villain and there aren't many who do. His slimy take on Jimmy Saville was probably the best part of the episode for me. The over-the-top "public" personality was especially nauseating when coupled with the darker heart.

Spoiler

As soon as the shrink started to go haywire, I immediately realized she had been Faith and the girl on the bus.  I think most of us figured the girl on the bus was going to be an agent of Moriarty of *some* kind, but I suppose the Holmes' sister thing was a surprise. I hope it doesn't turn out that she was "operating" Moriarty.  Everything they do seems to diminish him as a villain.

On 09/01/2017 at 10:00 PM, Zorral said:

We're all different in what works for us.  Or doesn't.  :D

Truly dislike hallucination anything and particularly in Sherlock and hate druggy Sherlock too. Do not like this show and its frackin' fan service and all the rest.  It isn't fun.

Elementary is pure formula and they do it honestly.  But still, it's Joan Watson that makes that series for me.

But when it comes to the Real Sherlock on screen -- Jeremy Brett!  Always Jeremy Brett.

:read:  :cheers:

I need to get back to Elementary at some point. I'd say it's far more consistent and really it's just the volume of episodes that has stopped me from watching season 2+. Sherlock averages at 3 hours a year so not much of a commitment. I still think it speaks to the strength of the character that so many versions of him can exist and work quite well.

27 minutes ago, Spaßvogel said:

Hide contents

As soon as the shrink started to go haywire, I immediately realized she had been Faith and the girl on the bus.  I think most of us figured the girl on the bus was going to be an agent of Moriarty of *some* kind, but I suppose the Holmes' sister thing was a surprise. I hope it doesn't turn out that she was "operating" Moriarty.  Everything they do seems to diminish him as a villain.

For me Moriarty has never been that great to begin with in this show - the build up to him was good but from his actual reveal his actual presence has never fully convinced me. I suspect it will turn out that the sister is at least on a level playing field with Moriarty and my bet is they will retcon it so that she at least made Moriarty be obsessed with Holmes. Thinking about it - all those times Moriarty was wanting Holmes to better him may just have been jealousy over Euro's obsession with her brother.

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

[ " I need to get back to Elementary at some point. I'd say it's far more consistent and really it's just the volume of episodes that has stopped me from watching season 2+. Sherlock averages at 3 hours a year so not much of a commitment. I still think it speaks to the strength of the character that so many versions of him can exist and work quite well. " ]

I was thinking that today as well, how successfully the Sherlock character has weathered the decades and eras and even other countries and cultures who started modeling figures on Sherlock.  One of my favorite Sherlockian metas is Conan Doyle showing up in the Toronto of Murdoch's Mysteries and modeling certain stories and so on on Murdoch.  It just goes in circles -- so many at the police station are bowled over by Doyle, the creator of Sherlock, being among them, while Doyle is modeling Sherlock on their own detective.  It makes my head spin sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Spaßvogel said:

This episode had a lot of trickery that you have to stomach for it to work fully.  Mycroft's surveillance somehow just not seeing the woman with Sherlock? 

It seems his surveillance team is about as competent as the surveillance team in Westworld who can't tell if Dolores is accompanying someone.

22 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I think Moriarty was great, but I don't at all believe that he is actually back.

I'd be annoyed if they revisited that story again. I think it's far more interesting him orchestrating all these things from beyond the grave. Given how many times they've made a point of saying "if you knew all the variables you could predict the future" it would be a shame for Moriarty not to do just that. Or maybe even better he's cheated and set up multipe plots that only activate according tp a ranger of variables. It would be interesting because you can't really catch someone who's dead.

18 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It seems his surveillance team is about as competent as the surveillance team in Westworld who can't tell if Dolores is accompanying someone.

:)

they must both have tp sign contracts with a "turn blind eye for plot convenience" clause

Did they ever actually say he was alone? Could it be handwaved that someone off camera said "and he's with some woman", and Mycroft just didn't mention it to Watson?

Agreed it'll be terrible if she's behind Moriarty all along. That wouldn't even nearly make sense. I'm hoping she just feels some twisted need to entertain Sherlock and feels bad that his adversary isn't around, so she 'ressurected' him. Thinking back to the scene at the therapists house, I remember thinking she was notably not fussed about all the shenanigans in her house.....I know Sherlock called for more water but I don't recall them seeing one another. Perhaps she didn't trust her disguise on him twice?

It's weird thinking back to Moriarty's return, it was 3 years ago now .... in 3 years, he got on a plane and got off it again and nothing more.

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Did they ever actually say he was alone? Could it be handwaved that someone off camera said "and he's with some woman", and Mycroft just didn't mention it to Watson?

They said they weren't sure because the camera angles weren't quite right, which sounds like bollocks to me.

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Perhaps she didn't trust her disguise on him twice?

It's weird thinking back to Moriarty's return, it was 3 years ago now .... in 3 years, he got on a plane and got off it again and nothing more.

They keep telling us how Sherlock's bad with faces so I think she'd be quite confident as long as her voice and dress didn't bare any resemblance. Although that's tempermental as Sherlock was quick to realise that the woman who came to his house wasn't the same woman in the hospital.

It has been a long time to the point I'm not sure what happened. You meant Sherlock got on and off a plane in that space of time, right? Because I think Moriarty's return was restricted to his video?

I suspect the closest the relationship between this Holmes sister and Moriarty goes would be a partnership amd/or romantic entanglement.  I'm guessing they were equal partners, not one being superior to the other...

I rewatched the final moments last night and I noticed that Euros says she gets hold of Faith's letter from Culverton Smith after 'a mutual acquaintance put us in touch'. That's almost certainly going to be Moriarty and somewhat reduces my worry that she's going to have been running him all along.

The first episode was dreadful. Took me a couple of attempts to finish it which has never happened me before with this show.

The second one was a bit better, I think much of that is down to Toby Jones who was a great addition. I'm really disappointed in this show, since around the second season. The writing all seems too self congratulatory, newer episodes have been all over the place lacking focus and even Cumberbatch, who i'm a big fan of, doesn't seem quite "with it" this year.

The third episode has been leaked online apparently. I'd suggest anyone not wanting to get spoiled to refrain from looking stuff up about this show for the next 26 hours or so until the episode is actually broadcast. 

On 1/11/2017 at 0:49 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I suspect the closest the relationship between this Holmes sister and Moriarty goes would be a partnership amd/or romantic entanglement.  I'm guessing they were equal partners, not one being superior to the other...

Or perhaps she just used Moriarty's face as a bait?

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

More of a Jimmy Saville analogue with an HH Holmes-inspired methodology.

Americans wouldn't know who Jimmy Saville is though (probably why Toby Jones's last line was about finally breaking America)

Archived